Long Awaited Gold!

olcaptain

Long Awaited Gold!

I knew they would enter the creek eventually. But the Pre-Spawn cruise up Crooked Creek has certainly been late this year. Normally, I would have caught a ton by now but FINALLY, the first Carp of the year came to the Ol’ Captain’s net this morning! It was a great way to start because this big egg filled Momma weighed in at 20.6 lbs!

krpev9K.jpg

No, we don’t eat them. We practice L&R exclusively. That is, “Lick and Release!” (For perspective- Max weighs 18lbs)

zG1XguW.jpg

DEERFU

Nice catch! There is a spring time sucker run up Murder Creek too. They get stalled at the little water fall and jump/ swim up it like salmon would.

olcaptain

Nice catch! There is a spring time sucker run up Murder Creek too. They get stalled at the little water fall and jump/ swim up it like salmon would.

Have canoe will travel. Would love for you to show me and Max if you are so inclined.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Ol Max has waited a long time for that lick, congrats !

Teh Wicked

Nice! Carp is one species that has avoided me for my life...

Killdee

Asians eat carp and I have heard other folks talk about eating them over the years. I’ll pass and enjoy the pull.
Nice fish captain!!!

Beagler

I’ve heard of people eating them, said they were a bony fish, I’ve also heard of smoking them. I’ve never ate any, but if given a choice I think I’d rather eat carp then tilapia or swan that the stores sell.

Last edited:

Killdee

Someone on here posted a carp pattie recipe, like salmon patties, Ill stick to the planked carp recipe.......

MikeyD6

Deleted
I caught a drum once right below a dam and kept it on a whim. Filleted and fried it, and it was fine. But, it was a rocky bottom with clean moving water and tons of shad to eat. I figure carp are the same way, depends on where you catch them.

JackSprat

Carp are considered a prime food fish in most of Europe and Asia.

They have been raised for food since at least the time of the Roman Empire.

Any of the many international markets around Atlanta will usually have a tank with live carp, if not, they have fresh carp on ice.

Not eating carp is a cultural bias, just like not eating eels. I don't eat either, but I recognize that there really is no basis in fact for not doing so.

Interesting story on cultural bias and food choices. My father grew up in Bradenton, Fl. and spent a large portion of his youth in Tampa Bay, the Manatee River, and the Gulf of Mexico. The time period was post-WWI, and there were few modern conveniences.

He said the FL. lobsters would migrate across the floor of the bay at certain times of the year. The local didn't eat them, because they thought they looked like cockroaches.

The local white people did not eat blue crabs any incidental catches of same, they would give to the black folks who gratefully accepted them.

Despite living on the edge of the Gulf of Mexico his whole life, my father ate his first blue crab in about 1947 in New Orleans. He must have liked them because I grew up and crabbing was one of our main family activities, not the least of reasons was because it was dirt cheap.

Point being that "raisin' " determines a lot of what we consider fit to eat.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
That's a beauty of a carp, what's your personal best so far?

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Very nice and I hope the Lord blesses you with many more.