West point bass fishing

Edgeman33

I'm looking for some help, trying to catch more fish in this brutal hot weather. Any tips or tactics would be appreciated. Thanks

MBC223

Honestly just stay home or haul the boat somewhere else. There will be a few to suggest "head up rIver and fish a jig" but those same guys seem to catch fish year round no matter what. I think this Dustin Pate guy could find a 15 pound stringer in my hot tub haha. I sure as CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored cannot. West Point bass fishing is tough, and outright CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored in the summer.

My honest .02.

Ps - DP take me fishing and end my negative attitude :)

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly just stay home or haul the boat somewhere else. There will be a few to suggest "head up rIver and fish a jig" but those same guys seem to catch fish year round no matter what. I think this Dustin Pate guy could find a 15 pound stringer in my hot tub haha. I sure as CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored cannot. West Point bass fishing is tough, and outright CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored in the summer.

My honest .02.

LOL!!! Love it. :clap::clap:

Seriously, I am a river rat plain and simple. For bass fishing in the summer the river has many bonuses. You always have moving water which is good for a couple reasons. First, it positions the fish, and second it is cooler and more oxygenated, which keeps the fish active. The river is also full of shad during the summer and the fish take full advantage of it, especially right now with super low water. There has been a very good topwater bite going the last week or so, not just in low light either. Find the shad and the fish are there. Swimbaits, both soft body and hardbody, are a very good backup.

61BelAir

I've never fished up that way, but it's the same story down here in the middle of the state. Almost no bass bites in lakes or ponds, but bites every time we go to the river. Buy a cheap kayak and give it a try. It'll really get you through the tough summer fishing.

riprap

My honest .02.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I go up river and the current takes my jigs deep in the blow downs. Only top water is my boat heading towards highland marina.

Down the lake Bridge pilings 8" spots. 25ft brush piles 8" spots. Might get lucky around dark and find some hybrid schooling.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Here is one from Saturday that hit a jointed swim bait.

Attachments

• 13920648_10101395312489848_9161682830033840581_n.jpg
    13920648_10101395312489848_9161682830033840581_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 870

GAPILOT715

I've had some luck hitting the points on the main river between the water intakes up to about the Ringer boat launch fishing a Carolina rig very, very slow. Almost painfully slow. I've just been patient and its been working for me.

I think Dustin goes a lot further up the river than I do and knows how to navigate it well. There are some costly mistakes waiting the further up you go.

riprap

I've had some luck hitting the points on the main river between the water intakes up to about the Ringer boat launch fishing a Carolina rig very, very slow. Almost painfully slow. I've just been patient and its been working for me.

I think Dustin goes a lot further up the river than I do and knows how to navigate it well. There are some costly mistakes waiting the further up you go.

Yeah, I've thought about down sizing to an aluminum rig. It just wouldn't be as comfortable when the family goes and I fish lanier a good bit. Bigger is always better up there.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

There is some very good fishing from Franklin to New River. That is actually the preferred area for the majority of my bass fishing. Right now is a really good time to learn the river while it is low. You can see structure that is normally covered. It is not a guarantee by any means. It takes a lot of trips to learn little things that work, but when it starts to click, it can be really fun. Take it slow and try some new water..I think you'll enjoy it.

Hill202

Is there a ramp at Brushy Creek? I think new River Rec area is just shown on a map.

I've heard that Ringer was bad about your vehicle getting broke into.

ryork

Is there a ramp at Brushy Creek? I think new River Rec area is just shown on a map.

I've heard that Ringer was bad about your vehicle getting broke into.

There's a ramp at Brushy Creek, just not a lot of water in front of it right now.....

I think Ringer has been cleaned up, used to be a lot of unsavory elements in the campground there. I've never had an issue there.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Ringer is perfectly good to use. Brush creek is a no go. It has silted in and can only be used at full pool, if that.

Hill202

Ringer is perfectly good to use. Brush creek is a no go. It has silted in and can only be used at full pool, if that.

Thanks for the tip. I just rode down and looked at Brushy creek. River is really up right now. I forgot about the ramp in Franklin, it looked ok.