Of Jerkbaits and fishing Waders

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Well, in my progression towards buying a kayak, I've decided I'd do the next best thing and buy some waders. Problem is I've never owned any and there's not a whole lot of useful information I've found for beginners buying a first pair. I figured a lot of guys here on the forum fly fish, duck hunt, or are just plain trying to stay clean and own a pair, so what are you guys thoughts? Boot foot or stocking foot? What to look for and so on? I'm not looking to do much honestly other than stop walking mud banks to bass ponds, or trying to walk across oyster bars at low tide on the coast in some Nike shoes.

On another note, I'm looking at buying a lucky craft pointer. I've heard great feedback, but then again it's a $16 lure. Another reason for the waders. If i break THAT off, I'm going in! How does it compare to other models like say an X-rap or strike king jerkbait? Which size, the pointer 78, or pointer 100?

Thanks guys - JB

61BelAir

Probably stating the obvious, but be careful with waders. If you step off in a hole over your head it's like wearing cement shoes.

As far as boot foot vs Stocking foot- it is really all about how you will use them, as well as user preference. For a lot of walking and wading- such as trout fishing or hiking to a bass pond, Stocking foot is Soooo much better, IMO. it allows you to not only decide which type of boot sole to use felt vs rubber, but it allows for a much tighter and comforable fit- this fittment can be the difference between twisting an ankle while wading. For more casual fishing, or duck hunting - bootfoot is often the choice because they tend to be less expensive than a pair of boots+waders, and they are much more convinent to put on and take off.

I would definitely get a breathable wader such as gore-tex, toray, or a similar material unless you absolutely know you will only wear them in cold weather- and still, when doing anything other than sitting still, neoprene can warm up fast. You can always wear long johns under your waders, but it is hard to make waders cooler.

I am currently wearing a pair of Simms toray waders, but for my next pair I will likely upgrade slightly- not because the simms are bad in any way but just because I want better. I would suggest the orvis encounter waders for you, they are relatively inexpensive, and orvis will stand behind their product.

Also, based on your uses, I would go with a pair of Rubber Soled wading boots- these used to be looked down upon for their inability to grip wet rocks as well as felt, but the rubber used has come along way- and Vibram Soled Wading boots are All I use now. Although their ability ot grip wet rock is still not quite as good as felt, their ability to grip everything else is leaps and bounds better that felt. (leaves, dirt, pine needles, roots, clay, ect)

Also, ALWAYS wear a wader belt that is non-elastic and fits fairly tight.