Fish ID

MrRipaLip

Took the nephew out for some fishing down in Fayetteville this weekend and caught this beauty. I have been told Shellcracker and told Redear Sunfish. Any ideas? looks part Crappie to me. also got a nice largemouth on a trap..
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 14079932_10210321344935533_2234370572055684840_n.jpg
    14079932_10210321344935533_2234370572055684840_n.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 756
  • jax.JPG
    jax.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 755
  • jax2.JPG
    jax2.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 743

PANFISHER

That is a red-ear sunfish, but most people call it by its nickname which is shellcracker. They are one and the same fish.

WPrich

Shows ya how much I know!! Appreciate it!
Does that gill plate marking change color during spawn time?

I don't think the gill plate color changes but could be wrong (been a while), but I know the body color does. They are normally yellowish but males darken up for spawning and that there I'm pretty sure is a male you have.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
The other guys are right! Definitely a redear/shellcracker. The ear flap on the gill can be red or orange. They're the same fish, but get the name shellcracker because they feed on a lot of crustaceans like small crayfish, snails, and freshwater shrimp like scuds. They're also delicious! They get right up there with bluegills in terms of size, but I've actually caught bigger shellcrackers than gills over the years. 1.5lb fish to maybe 3lbs. World record is 5.7! Now that's a pretty good sized bream!

riverbank

The other guys are right! Definitely a redear/shellcracker. The ear flap on the gill can be red or orange. They're the same fish, but get the name shellcracker because they feed on a lot of crustaceans like small crayfish, snails, and freshwater shrimp like scuds. They're also delicious! They get right up there with bluegills in terms of size, but I've actually caught bigger shellcrackers than gills over the years. 1.5lb fish to maybe 3lbs. World record is 5.7! Now that's a pretty good sized bream!
Jeremiah do you know where that 5.7 pound bream was caught? That is crazy big. !!!