Rod and reel suggestions

billdawg

My dad lives in Missouri and is a dedicated bass fisherman in the ozarks. When fishing, he has always had the goal of going out there and getting his sons on fish, not too concerned with size. He now wants to specifically target trophy bass with bigger spoons, swimbaits, etc but his normal lighter spinning and baitcasting setups can't throw those big lures.

Any suggestions on rod and reel that would be good for using lures up to 4oz? I'm assuming the way to go would be baitcaster. Obviously cheaper is best but looking for good quality and willing to pay. If anyone has suggestions that'd be great!

Last edited:

Tmpr111

That's a good rod for swimbaits, affordable too. Many on here may suggest a Dobyns, but they're pricey. I've heard many state the Shimano Calcutta reels are great, but for me personally I use a Lews Super Duty $150-$180 --- I've never had a single problem with it and can't see myself ever changing soon either.

It's all in what you want to spend.

aaron batson

For big swimbaits - you can't beat a Kissel Kraft rod - like a model SWB956 Heavy Moderate Fast or SWB967 Extra Heavy Moderate Fast. Awesome rods and made here locally in good ole Georgia :) tell them that I sent ya.

billdawg

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. For a setup like this that can throw big swimbaits and spoons, what would be the ideal gear ratio for the reel?

Tmpr111

Most probably will say a slower reel. I personally prefer a faster reel but only because I fish the faster currents / water in the river a lot and often need to get the swimbait back to me or over structure (rocks) extremely fast.

Triton Mike

I have several of the Dobyns Fury 795SB. They are a CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored rod for 119.99.. I have tried several more expensive ones and these pass the test for me. I would say the upper end for this rod is 3.5-4 oz.. Doubles up as a A rig rod for me as well. their are several online places to get them and if you need one in a pinch Natures Tackle box in Hiram has them in stock (call before you go just to be certain).

here are the rod specs.
http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-795sb/

ProAngler

Swim bait reel

Look at the Okuma Komodo 364. It has stainless steel gears which can make a big difference when cranking in heavy lures on a regular basis. Also is a good saltwater reel if you occasionally need one. With up to 25lbs of drag I use mine for snapper fishing as well. Also look into shimano teramar rods. It won't be as sensitive as the mojo, but much stronger construction. And much cheaper, around 120

JohnK

I had to check the date on this post.....it's been a long time since I've see Fishlipps and Triton Mike on here. Glad to see it.