Pig #5 for 2016

sawtooth

It's been a while since my last one, May sometime I think. I've kinda been letting Martin and Mike catch up and Martin is on a roll so I needed to put some wood in the air.
I got invited to go hunting this past weekend and despite unpleasantly warm temperatures and a sever sinus infection AND a bad fuel filter in my truck- I had an awesome time. Thursday afternoon- We hunted a beautiful section of swamp- rooting everywhere, not many mosquitoes- just right. I didn't see any hogs, but we were at the right place, just not the right time.
Friday AM- I spent all morning looking for the binoculars that I lost the last time I had hunted this particular area. I remember taking them off and setting them down, I even remember the exact tree- the problem is that I CAN'T FIND that tree. After four hours, I gave up- Goodbye, Monarch 5's!
Friday afternoon was a wash, I didn't see anything- but a lot of real estate with very little sign.
Saturday AM- Martin left early and had a great morning, I, on the other hand, was focused on getting my truck in running order- I had to have a new fuel filter installed. No big deal- 50 bucks and two hours later, I was rolling again.
Saturday afternoon- Was looking pretty promising. Martin and I parted company on a road and he went North and I headed South. 1/4 mile into my walk I heard a faint grunt that made me smile. I got the wind right and began my approach. I saw one, then two, then two more. All were rooting happily in the soft dirt. I was inside thirty and I looked at my wind feather on my bow to make sure I was still good and I liked what I saw so I started slipping in. Using the trees to hide behind, I made my way to them a couple quiet steps at the time. I wanted to shoot the red one bad, but I had decided that the first one to get sideways at less than twenty was gonna get it. And he did...... when one of the smaller pigs rooted his way past me at about 12 yards or so, I drew and focused on my spot. I hit him a little higher than I wanted, but still good. I watched the fir arrow zip through him like he wasn't even standing there. Twenty yards later his lungs failed him and that's where he stopped. I did a bad job taking pictures, for that I apologize, but I really wanted to go after his friends and I knew that they hadn't gone far. I never caught up with them though. What an awesome afternoon. Martin had a great couple of days, too. He can tell that.
Big Jim Buffalo longbow
Douglas fir arrow
Wensel Woodsman broadhead

Attachments

• pig #5 2016 2.JPG
    pig #5 2016 2.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 697
  • pig #5 2016.JPG
    pig #5 2016.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 663

SELFBOW

Thurs pm was real quiet, we didn't see any deer or pigs....only a couple of small critters

photo IMG_20160728_182918734_zps78ybiagb.jpg

Fri am we went different ways and I got on one group of two, they were coming my way but behind some thick stuff and as they passed the wind changed and they were gone...

Fri pm seen another group but in the wide open and couldn't get 50 yards of them.
Sat am Dendy slept in and I had a match to a hunt last May in same area. Got on pigs five times, had four stalks, and four shots.
The first group busted me as did the second but the third was only three pigs. I slipped to 15 yds and shot right over one. As they ran off the third pig was about 40 yds away and so busy rooting she didn't hear a thing. I slip into 12 yds w her facing away and just wait til she turned. I hit her good and she ran about 30 yds and quickly bedded down. I was impatient and slipped in as she stood and missed her.

I should have just walked away but I can guarantee I learned my lesson this time. I will not push one again.
So after that frustrating moment I continue and get on another group. I had everything perfect except for a limb I did not see that deflected my shot at 12 yds.
After an hour I went back to where the bedded pig was and couldn't find anything outside where she had layed.
Seen this critter on the way out....

photo IMG_20160730_105909_zpsw7rh7hoz.jpg

Sat pm I'm right back in there and after an hour of walking I could hear a pig in a treetop breaking limbs. Never could see it before it figured me out. It was behind a huge cypress so I never saw it and it sent about 8 more pigs on the run as it left.
Made my turn back towards the starting point and got on four more. It was IMO one of my best stalks ever, wish I'd had video I had to circle em at 25-35 yds and get ahead as they fed towards me. They were at 18 and behind some trees. Two steps either way could have decided their fate but a wind shift ended it again. That made 7 times on pigs in this spot in one day. Last yr I did 9.
I love this spot!
 photo IMG_20160730_102100429_zpsf3alxqwy.jpg

Anyhow, always a good time hanging w Dendy and chasing pigs. We always have stories to tell....

Congrats again my friend....

mudcreek

Y'all done good. Well told on both counts.

Barry Duggan

Hate that about your binos Dendy man. Fine pig and good yarns from you and Martinez.

Al33

Congrat's Dendy and thank you and Martin for sharing the hunt here. Well done you guys!!!!

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Good Job Dendy. Looks like yall had ah great time.