• No Way!

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Never really thought about it?

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've carried a .410 single shot for the last 4 seasons when I'm not carrying my 20 gauge single shot. At 3.5 lbs. rigged out it's a pleasure to carry and if I do my part, it does its. I don't consider myself an expert but I am enthusiastic. ;) Gil
78822539-5f06-441e-9056-a16aa8c487d6_zpszz1bgewh.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
A lot of guys hunt turkeys with a .410 I can assure you. Also remember a .410 is not a gauge. It's a caliber. The smallest gauge is a 28.

That Would be a 32. ;)

The largest is a 4... :hair:

I vote "NO" on a .410 bore for turkey.
Recon it would do in a pinch but why?

smoothie

They are great to use! If you have some toms competing in the woods or coming back to the roost to the ladies first then you are going to get some good 20 yard shots. Be loud, rustle some leaves and be behind a tree. Play the gobble!

bearhunter39

I have seen my dad kill plenty of turkeys graveyard dead with a Stevens bolt action 410 and winchester 3inch #4s.a lot farther than you would believe it shoots like a rifle.

Nannyman

Come on guys. This is an 11 year old thread. Hal and TSS have changed the game in sub gauges. They can now hold patterns to 50yds.

M Sharpe

A lot of guys hunt turkeys with a .410 I can assure you. Also remember a .410 is not a gauge. It's a caliber. The smallest gauge is a 28.

If I remember correctly from my hunter safety days, years ago, it would be a 67 gauge. The number of lead balls the diameter of the bore that it takes to make a pound.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Mark I stand corrected. I was just naming the smallest one I could think of. Someone else mentioned a 32 and ive never heard of that either.

Steve Roberts

Man in the late 70's and 80's I wished I had a 12ga that would pattern as good as my Yildiz 410!!!

KentuckyHeadhunter

A guy who field tests my calls only uses a .410 and he killed five turkeys this year in two states using my scratch box.

Attachments

• IMG_20160708_150858.jpg
    IMG_20160708_150858.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 784

Steve Roberts

A guy who field tests my calls only uses a .410 and he killed five turkeys this year in two states using my scratch box.

Looks like a guys Yildiz O/U 410 from low country Georgia!!!!

Steve Roberts

Nope that one is in Kansas/Missouri.

That's a good looking gun, was thinking about getting one in a 28 Ga. The good thing about Yildiz O/U's is, if the barrel's are not regulated close for poa/poi. Briley chokes in Texas does their warranty service, and will rethread them to change the poa/poi.

hawglips

Banned
I would if I had to. I figure it will do fine as long as you keep it mighty close. Not a whole lot of lead in those shells.

Hal

There is no lead at all in the ones I kill turkeys with...

Yep, times sure do change.

:cool:

Gaswamp

There is no lead at all in the ones I kill turkeys with...

Yep, times sure do change.

:cool:

thought u might get a kick out of the post.

JMB

I have too much respect for the bird. 410 poses zero additional challenge when compared to a 20 or 12. If you want to kill closer, call them in closer (or, sigh, put your decoy closer). My issue is why handicap yourself if you wound a bird and need a follow up shot that puts it down. I mean down. I feel a 410 should be outlawed for turkeys simply due to the fact it is flat out not enough gun. Will it kill them? Sure. Can you make that follow up shot on a wounded bird with the same efficiency as a larger bore. No. Are you risking a wounded bird to a greater degree? Absolutely. To me, it is the opposite of sporting.

sman

With TSS I see no problem.

I've seen .410s with TSS out pattern 12s with lead at 40.

hawglips

Banned
I have too much respect for the bird. ...I feel a 410 should be outlawed for turkeys simply due to the fact it is flat out not enough gun.

The .410 isn't enough gun, unless you have it loaded with the good stuff. My current .410 rig performs better than my 12 ga rig back when I was shooting 1-7/8 oz of lead 4s.

Unless one is swinging the gun at the turkey, it's not the gun that does the killing, but what comes out of the gun....