Soil sample questions

gordylew

I pulled several soil samples off of 2 of my food plots and sent them to the county extension agency to be analyzed. The lady at the extension asked what I was planting. I told her Iron Clay peas initially and probably winter wheat/rye mix with clover later. Since they did not have any of these as a crop she coded the samples for "southern Peas" "Snap peas" and "pole beans". I got the results back and I have 3 sheets of paper for each plot. Now which recommendation to use for best results of the above plants?
Would you use the Southern Pea recommendation or one of the others. one plot has a ph of 6.3 and doesn't call for lime but the other is 5.4 and calls for 2.25 tons per acre. this is a .25 acre plot. When to lime ? how long after liming do you plant?
both plots call for similar amounts of nitrogen, phosphate, potash, sulfur and boron. Thanks

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Lime now ....... or better yet, yesterday and work it in to the top 4" of soil and you can plant right after .... no big deal, except that lime will take 6 months to work. Southern peas might be a good selection.

The nitrogen, phosphate and potash will come from (NPK) your fertilizer. Sometimes the fertilizer you buy will contain some sulfur so you might be covered there.

Boron, you can buy 20 mule team borax (laundry soap), from the grocery story and apply no more than 1 pound per acre.

If you have any other questions about the soil test, maybe you could post it here and we can work thru it for you.

nrh0011

You probably have a recommendation for winter wheat/rye which is the one calling for no lime, and the legume (peas or clover) is the one requiring a lime application. Liming that other plot wouldn't cost much since its so small and in the long run would make for a more well rounded plot so to speak.

Like canuck said post your test results and we can help you out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One is only 1/4 acre. What size is the other?

Why did you do multiple soil tests?

gordylew

I own 40 acres. I have one plot that is on the creek and the other is one the other side of the property in a pasture. the second is a 3rd of an acre now but the field is about 7 acres so in the future I may expand it. even though they are about 300 yards apart the soils are very different. this is why I got 2 samples. When I say I got multiple samples, I mean I pulled soil from several places on the plots and mixed them for each plot. I will try to post the results. I know the results call for the use of 10-34-0 fertilizer but I do not find that in any of the local stores. I do have a few bags of Milorganite, would this be usable?

Attachments

• DSC03577.jpg
    DSC03577.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC03578.jpg
    DSC03578.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 297

nrh0011

You don't have to use that exact fertilizer source. It's just a recommendation. You can achieve the desired nutrient levels with other sources. DAP 18-46-0 should be readily available if you want to take that route. Look around and see what you can get a deal on then we can come up with a fertilizer calculation for you.

Mudfeather

These guys know alot more than I do but I write wildlife plot on mine...If you are doing clover you can cut the nitrogen way back because clover once its growing will produce its own...I find most of the other stuff I grow is pretty similar on the main ingredients.

doomtrpr_z71

she used the wrong crop code, I can convert it if you'd like in fertex
Screenshot_20170822-204931.png

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I own 40 acres. I have one plot that is on the creek and the other is one the other side of the property in a pasture. the second is a 3rd of an acre now but the field is about 7 acres so in the future I may expand it. even though they are about 300 yards apart the soils are very different. this is why I got 2 samples. When I say I got multiple samples, I mean I pulled soil from several places on the plots and mixed them for each plot. I will try to post the results. I know the results call for the use of 10-34-0 fertilizer but I do not find that in any of the local stores. I do have a few bags of Milorganite, would this be usable?

If this were my soil test I would put 350 lbs of 19-19-19 per acre plus the recommended lime

pine nut

You asked at the end of you statement/question about using Milorganite. I don't think you should, because I have been told and I have also used it to dfiscourage deer from getting into my garden, so I would not use it for a food plot. Others here know way more than me, but I think they didn't see that part of your question.