Dove hunting WMA's

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Does anyone dove hunt on any of the WMA's ?
I've seen a couple of places on Paulding Forrest I'd like to try out.

mwood1985

Does anyone dove hunt on any of the WMA's ?
I've seen a couple of places on Paulding Forrest I'd like to try out.

I do. It's closer to my house in Marietta than driving to the farm in South ga. Sometimes the random spots do better than the wma planted dove fields

PHImech

I haven't been to Paulding Forest, but from looking on various web sites, it doesn't look like they plant or prep for doves. You'll probably have plenty of peace and quiet, which ain't all bad, but probably not very many birds. If you don't mind a little drive from Dallas or the idea of fighting the crowds a little, Joe Kurz had a GREAT opening day last year. Tons of people, but tons of birds too... many limits were taken. They really did a great job of planting and prepping the fields. Sunflower, burnt off wheat, millet, etc. Keep checking the DNR site... they ought to be posting a dove forecast for the various WMA's shortly. Good luck!

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I'd just as soon stay away from the crowds. I've found a few places that are close to water and have open or clear cuts. I've seen dove plenty in them places while small game or deer hunting. Think I'll give it a whirl when the season comes in. I don't need many, so a few trips out there may be just enough.

PHImech

I like the social aspect of opening day if I'm with friends or family, but I don't blame you a bit. Like you inferred, one of the best reasons to go into the outdoors is to get away from the crowds. Enjoy!

awm

I haven't been to Paulding Forest, but from looking on various web sites, it doesn't look like they plant or prep for doves. You'll probably have plenty of peace and quiet, which ain't all bad, but probably not very many birds. If you don't mind a little drive from Dallas or the idea of fighting the crowds a little, Joe Kurz had a GREAT opening day last year. Tons of people, but tons of birds too... many limits were taken. They really did a great job of planting and prepping the fields. Sunflower, burnt off wheat, millet, etc. Keep checking the DNR site... they ought to be posting a dove forecast for the various WMA's shortly. Good luck!

Like PHImech said, Joe Kurz had a lot of birds killed but a ton of people. My buddy went last year and said that groups were lined up at the gate and had the kids/teenagers sprint across the field when it opened and they were throwing chairs at patches of tress to save spots for the rest of the group. He said it was like the start of a big 5K race or something. I love shooting birds but sounds a little high speed for me haha.

jacobmldn

I looked at the dawson forest field a few weeks ago. It looked great

How was the Dawson field after opening day? Is it open to the public and were there any birds later in the season?

I just moved to Woodstock and am looking for some public or some paid shoots above I20 and even someone to go with. Let me know if you know of anything and are interested.

How was the Dawson field after opening day? Is it open to the public and were there any birds later in the season?

I just moved to Woodstock and am looking for some public or some paid shoots above I20 and even someone to go with. Let me know if you know of anything and are interested.

I'm looking for something above i-20 as well.

FordGuy27

For those of you looking in North GA, I signed up for a paid shoot at Warbington Farms (northeast of cumming, GA), it was $115 and includes lunch. Random spot drawing morning of. It's their second year doing it, so I thought it'd be worth seeing if it's successful.

Anyone try it out last year?

As for WMA hunting, I plan to do some out your way fflintlock, have mojo and decoys if you're looking for another person to join.

jacobmldn

For those of you looking in North GA, I signed up for a paid shoot at Warbington Farms (northeast of cumming, GA), it was $115 and includes lunch. Random spot drawing morning of. It's their second year doing it, so I thought it'd be worth seeing if it's successful.

Anyone try it out last year?

As for WMA hunting, I plan to do some out your way fflintlock, have mojo and decoys if you're looking for another person to join.

Fordguy, I'm out of Woodstock and always looking for someone to go with. Just shoot me a pm if you want someone for these wma shoots later in the year.