Good wood chart for Meat Smoking

280bst

Thanks had a lot of stuff besides smoking free downloads

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The Old Florida Cracker Smoker Cook Book preferred mangrove and buttonwood. More pertinent to S. Florida than S. Ga.; the little booklet has been out of print for sometime. The book had some nifty diy smokers. Check ebay for book. Gil
PS: book title:
1971 year of publication: HOW TO SMOKE SEAFOOD FLORIDA CRACKER STYLE Ted DAHLEM COOKBOOK

Last edited:

patcavscout

Attachments

• wood-pairings.jpg
    wood-pairings.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 98
  • chips-chunk-planks.png
    chips-chunk-planks.png
    595.1 KB · Views: 98

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
For beef and pork I prefer pecan and red oak. For chicken I like peach or pear wood, and if I`m smoking mullet, peach wood is really good.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yesterday I was told by a guy he was considering using pine for cooking. I told him I had never even had this discussion before.
I asked had he ever done it and he said no but why not?
I told him not to try it use hardwood. Then he said he had tried sweetgum before. I told him why not.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Beef and bigger hog parts prefer pecan, oak or mesquite if I can find it from a out source.
Chicken and smaller hog cuts plus fish prefer a fruit type wood....citrus, pear, etc.

Kinda think of your wood like wine....want the bold wood for the red meat and the fruity stuff for your white meat. Also do not be afraid to mix it up...a few pieces of oak with a chunk or two of citrus...etc,etc.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
best wood for hams or brisket... Apple.

Red oak leaves a bitter aftertaste to me.

and hickory will make you burp it up for hours.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Beef and bigger hog parts prefer pecan, oak or mesquite if I can find it from a out source.
Chicken and smaller hog cuts plus fish prefer a fruit type wood....citrus, pear, etc.

Kinda think of your wood like wine....want the bold wood for the red meat and the fruity stuff for your white meat. Also do not be afraid to mix it up...a few pieces of oak with a chunk or two of citrus...etc,etc.

I bet citrus would be really good wood for some meats.

Latest posts