New Kamado Cooker Thread

Buck Nasty

Has anyone ever smoked two breast on the Akorn at the same time? If so, what would you do different? Would they take longer with two?

I dont think it would take any longer than with one. The only thing you might see is a bigger or longer dip in temp once you put them on, but should get back up pretty quickly.

Reactions: Dub

ronmac13

Royal Oak, Kamado Joe, and Fogo are the brands I have used, with Kamado Joe being preferred. However when Royal Oak goes on sale its hard to beat.

GA native

I get the BGE lump coal when it goes on sale. Otherwise, I generally just buy the Royal Oak.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Akorn Jr . These are pics from my brother's Akorn Jr. Gotta get me one.

Attachments

• Akorn jr.jpg
    Akorn jr.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Akorn jr 3.jpg
    Akorn jr 3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Akorn jr 2.jpg
    Akorn jr 2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,357

ronmac13

I wanted one forever. My akorn lid pulled the hinge bolts through one day then I upgraded to a kamado joe. Ended up getting a Joe Jr brand new at a demo price from Fireside in Augusta, GA at the Banjo-b-que. Love being able to do a low and slow over night and still have a way to cook dinner.

ronmac13

Gotta love the little helpers

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1473108729194.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473108729194.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 20160917_203342.jpg
    20160917_203342.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,309

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yes those little helpers are awesome! Great Pic!!! :cheers:

Duff

Pay, where can you get a jr???

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Pay, where can you get a jr???

I saw them in WalMart. That is where my brother got his. They sold out in Carrollton.

blocky

Are most of you cooking without any heat diverter installed? I tried some ribs and left them too long and they got very crispy. Now I think I need to buy that stone but I am too cheap to pay what they want for it.
Any other ways to prevent direct heat getting to the meat?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I use a 15"x2" aluminum cake pan($10) and 1" of play sand in it. I cover the whole thing, down against the sand with foil. Clean up is just tossing the foil after each cook and replacing the foil. Sand last many months as long as the foil is not punctured. The pan is supported on a charcoal grate for a 22.5 Weber kettle ($12). It sits perfectly on the smoking stone tabs in the Akorn.

GA native

My BGE ran out of coals after five hours of smoking at 250 degrees yesterday. Luckily, I caught it early, and finished the pork butt in the oven. And it was superb. My kids are munching on pulled pork right now.

This is my first winter with the BGE. Is this typical?

When I pulled the convection plate and did a post mortem, I noticed that there were plenty of coals up against the firewall. The center had burned out.

ChrisLakeCountry

I use a 15"x2" aluminum cake pan($10) and 1" of play sand in it. I cover the whole thing, down against the sand with foil. Clean up is just tossing the foil after each cook and replacing the foil. Sand last many months as long as the foil is not punctured. The pan is supported on a charcoal grate for a 22.5 Weber kettle ($12). It sits perfectly on the smoking stone tabs in the Akorn.

I've heard of people using flower pot bases as well... Still has that ceramic heat deflector/ heat sync touch.

JohnK

I recently bought a Akorn jr. to check out this type of grill.....best stuff ever. I got a stone for the middle and need some type of reference as to recipes. What is a good source for this type of cooking?
Thanks for all the positive posts that led up to me getting this grill. I love it.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
anyone ever heard of it seem the Vision brand of ceramic kamado cookers? Look to be in the $400-$500 ranher, and have an i nsert you can buy that swaps the ash pan for a gas burner.