U. S. Choice brisket point on the BGE

Bream Pole

I bought a U.S. Choice grade packer and halved it and froze the flat end and smoked the Point end. Moderately seasoned it with salt, pepper, Lowery's (tobasco powder added) Seasoned Salt, and a salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dehydrated lemon peel, basil, marjoram, parsley concoction I make up for steak and brisket. It took 12 hours + a little, and I didn't take it off until around 2:30 am with internal temp at 201, but it was worth it. Simply stated deeeeeeeelicious. Below are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2072 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2072 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_2074 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2074 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_2076 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2076 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2079 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2079 (Small).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2080 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2080 (Small).JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2081 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2081 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_2082 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2082 (Small).JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 404

Longhorn 16

Being honest it looks a little dry. Much like my first attempts. It is a tough one to zero in on but once you do, holy smokes it is good.

Search this thread for some great advice.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Job Bream Pole !!!!!!:cool:

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Still something I have never attempted to cook.... Mostly because of cost not intimidation!
Looks like yours turned out just fine!

Dub

I'd be mighty proud to duplicate that perfectly cooked brisket.

You nailed it !!!

The rub sounds really tasty and obviously made an excellent looking bark.

Great looking results !!!!!!!!

Bream Pole

Pictures from phone were slighty blurred. ( have figured out what was doing that.) It was in no way dry believe me. It was juicy and moist. I have been cooking brisket for years and have read just about every thing you can read including the posts on here and also watched youtube vids. That said I do ot consider myself a pit master or any typer of expert.

I pretty much follow Franklin BBQ in Austin's methods except that I am not cooking on an offset cooker, and I cook at a 25 degree or so lower temp because I cook directly over the coals. But with all the knowledge each cook is a new day and it can be screwed up without trying. The brisket itself can be a problem. That's why I try to find prime at a reasonable price and insist on choice. Franklin uses nothing but prime.

He uses a water pan to have moisture pass over his briskets. I have now devised a way to have a water tray in my Egg up under the grate that doesn't interfere with cooking over the coals, but it was not available on that cook. Moisture added to atmosphere I have always thought to be good.

I have a homemade stainless steel vertical smoker that is gas fired with a very small low btu pencil burner of the type that was used in earlier days as a pilot light in tobacco barns. It has a wood and water tray and for years I used it to cook briskets. Can walk off and leave it without having to watch temp and when you open it up to wrap, you don't have this heat rise problem when you close it back up like you do on the egg.

Cooking on the medium egg is testy controlling the heat, but I'm learning. I really have to be careful with how much the top vent is opened. Not so bad from what I can understand from people with large and x-tra large Eggs.

Here is to brisket. Moist or not moist enough its wonderful.

Last edited:

pop pop jones

Don't worry too much about the "it looks dry":whip: comment. He must have just left the deer hunting section, or the duck hunting section or the fishing section.