Gone But Not Forgotten
I like cast iron too

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 269

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I got a deep 15" Paula Dean one that I got at Goodwill for $10, some of you guys ate fish out of it at Hamburg gathering. I ran into a ceramic coated lodge dutch oven in west palm beach at a thrift store on their 30th anniversary, everything 50% off plus old man discount. The top is shaped like a rooster's head, 13$..............

panfish

Cast iron is good for just about anything.. I went in a dumpster to get a Wagner 10.5 pan. I seen the guy through it in. I ask if it was cracked. He said no it not have a lid. Smh. He look at me funny when I went in after it. It's now my best.

biggdogg

All jokes aside, I would love to have more cast iron. We have a 10 inch pan that gets used sparingly and a ceramic coated dutch oven that we use in the oven a lot. Our problem is we have a glass top range that you're not s'posed to use cast iron on.

Bream Pole

NCHB That is a marvelous post on your cast iron. I have a 15 inch that I do all my frying in, mostly fish. Sad it is the Chinese cast iron bought for around $12 from Agri Supply in Statesboro, Ga. I would love to stumble on a fry pan that size of the old stuff.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Former co-worker of mine bought me a set of winzel cast iron pans with a Dutch oven as a wedding gift. I use it regularly. I've collected a few more, the most prized one is my grandmas flat round skillet. She wasn't blessed with worldly possessions, but she could cook as good as any grandma in the world. I can still see and smell that hoe cake cooking on that pan.
NCH, since I'm a Bartlett, wouldn't mind knowing more about this "Rooster" fella. That was quite a story.

Knew a guy in Wenona Ga, that had the complete Griswald collection of cookware. He passed away and I have no idea what happened to the collection.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I had an old flanged-lid Dutch Oven with cast feet that was a one pot meal cooker for camping. I put valve grinding compound between the lid and oven top and spun the lid until the seal was perfect between pot and lid. We would camp during duck season on the dike of old rice fields on a friend's property which was accessible to us only by boats. I'd bring a Mason jar of pre-made roux to the camp and load the oven with chopped onions, celery and wild duck in the morning, dig a pit, start a fire of charcoal and put half the coals in the bottom of the pit, lower the oven into the pit, shovel remaining coals on the lid and cover with dirt. The oven would remain undisturbed until suppertime when we'd unearth the oven and serve the contents with collards that Julian would cook on a camp stove. I don't know what's better, the taste of the duck stew or the memories of those trips and the fun we had on those old ricefields shooting woodies, teal, mallards and black ducks. I no longer have that oven but have a Lodge stove-top cast iron Dutch Oven which is a favorite pot for one pot meals in the household. It permanently sits atop the gas range. Here's a photo of yours truly from one of the trips over to the old ricefields. We had the ducks in those days. Gil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All jokes aside, I would love to have more cast iron. We have a 10 inch pan that gets used sparingly and a ceramic coated dutch oven that we use in the oven a lot. Our problem is we have a glass top range that you're not s'posed to use cast iron on.

Don't pay a lick of attention to that. I have a glass top range, and have used cast ion on it pretty much every day for the last twenty years. It won't hurt a thing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Former co-worker of mine bought me a set of winzel cast iron pans with a Dutch oven as a wedding gift. I use it regularly. I've collected a few more, the most prized one is my grandmas flat round skillet. She wasn't blessed with worldly possessions, but she could cook as good as any grandma in the world. I can still see and smell that hoe cake cooking on that pan.
NCH, since I'm a Bartlett, wouldn't mind knowing more about this "Rooster" fella. That was quite a story.

Knew a guy in Wenona Ga, that had the complete Griswald collection of cookware. He passed away and I have no idea what happened to the collection.

I don't know anything else about him, really. He seemed to be quite the character. All I know is that he was apparently originally fairly well-off and educated, but he got his head kind of messed up in WWII and never was the same. He just kind of bummed around and he pretty much lived to fish, and everybody liked him. I wish I knew more. My dad could probably have filled in some details.

bassboy1

I bought one about 15 years ago. I think I've used it twice. I look at it like insurance, it's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

My mother has two of them. When she got the first one, my dad grumbled because he thought one that big would never get used. A year later, he bought her a second. When she was cooking for six, both of them were used together more nights than not.

cjones

Don't pay a lick of attention to that. I have a glass top range, and have used cast ion on it pretty much every day for the last twenty years. It won't hurt a thing.

^^^ What he said. Been using cast iron (sometimes 3 pans at once) on the glass top range since we moved in here 5 years ago without any problems.