Cooked for the workweek yesterday.

Dub

Had the day off yesterday with no plans to do much but hang out at the house. Figured I'd get some grub cooked for the workweek.

Last week I picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" smoker and did a test run on it to get familiar with it and burn off the stuff inside it.

Should give me really easy portability when that's a need.

Rubbed a butt in John Setzler's pork rub recipe and put it on first.

Added a chuck roast next. It was drenched in Paymaster's steak rub and added some basil & Italian seasoning, too.

Son said that I should have added more carrots to the last chuck roast....so I obliged this time. He was right !

I'd drained off the excess wet rub before piling the vegetables in there and poured it on top of the works. That rub really transfers some excellent flavor to everything in the pan.

A couple hours later a pair of trimmed up spares went into the WSM.

I ran the little JumboJoe 18" with a few coals on one side only and cooked some corn and baking potatoes.

The potatoes were cooked and smashed up with some various ingredients for my version of mashed potatoes.

This Garlic Spread one great tasting ingredient that I tried for the first time. Also used a small amount of 'Bama White Sauce.

Ran rock steady the entire cook. This thing may truly be a set it and forget it type of smoker that will allow for overnight brisket with good sleep.

Had a recommendation about this from a buddy....figured I'd give it a try.

Cooked it with Vidalias and butter for a while before dumping some collards & beer in there, too.

The ribs had two rubs on them....a base rub of Lambert's Sweet Swine O' Mine with a light dusting of John's rub on top.

The chuck roast was really good using Paymaster's steak rub as the main seasoning.

The butt was nice and tender...smoke flavor wasn't what I was hoping, but I only used a few chunks of cherry wood. I'm going to play around with some other methods next weekend. Used Kingsford Professional charcoal...didn't know how strong of a flavor it'd impart. Turns out it's more mild than the regular blue bagged stuff.

Pic taken before I hit it with a proper vinegar finishing sauce....

Bark pieces really tasted great. John's pork rub is mighty good.

Ribs had some tangy homebrew sauce brushed on.

I have some smoked meat to tide me over until next weekend. Already looking forward to firing up the grills. :bounce:

pop pop jones

We run in the same circle man. I always use one day off, cooking for my work meals. My wife thinks I'm crazy, eating the same thing 2-3 days in a row.

Then she'll cook a big-o-dish of something, and want me to eat it till it's gone. :huh:

Dr. Strangelove

We do the same at my house. One of us will usually cook up a mess of something for the rest of the week.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Man Yeah!!!!!!!! Top shelf cookin Dub!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Dub

Thank you, guys.

That WSM has a nice capacity that is going to be great for these types of workweek cooks. A buddy has been using a pair of them for competition cooks and done really well. I want to hook up with him and have some fun seeing what can be done.

I think it's gonna be a heap of fun cooking on these Webers. I need to brush up some on my technique, though. Those things bring back some great memories. I'm hoping that I can get my son rolling along with them really well, too. It'll be fun handing off the torch to him over the next couple years before he moves out on his own. He needs to leave with a basic grilling game in his skillset.

Crazy time of year, too. The car lots are tempting me mightily with "clearance" prices on muscle cars and trucks......and the big box stores are clearing out some of their grills.

The Dodge Challenger 392 that I want isn't within my grasp at the moment......but more Weber grills may be........

Dub

Thanks, folks.

Sure has made for improved lunches at work. I'm done supporting the cafeteria there. Everything in there seems like it's fried or doublefried and just lacking any flavor other than grease. They have a tough job making a profit, I get that......but I'm enjoying simply doing my own cooks and staying out of there or restaurants in general.

Everyone else in the family is coming-going-running with their schedules.....me,.....I just enjoy spending my time off chilling at the house and hanging with the dogs and playing with hot coals.

Trying to figure out what I'm going to grill this weekend. Been a while since steaks were done....a long while. Sure some wings will hit the grate at some point, too. Grilled wings are about my favorite. Use a good rub and serve them hot and crispy and let folks sauce them with their choice of sauces.