Votes: 16 39.0%
  • No Way!

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Never really thought about it?

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Al White

Would you consider turkey hunting with a .410? With all of the hype going on about 3.5 magnums, I was just curious to know if anyone would shoot a "little ole .410" at a tom?

fredw

Retired Moderator
Shotguns with No. 2 or smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm (scopes legal).

Evidently there's no restrictions on the guage you can turkey hunt with.....above quote is from the DNR's web site.

Ga-Spur

I used a .410 until last year and Ol Blue had to have shoulder surgery ; so I gave it to him. He killed the limit in one day at one sitting ,with it by shooting 3 gobblers with 3 shots and it is a single shot. I purchased a Remington 870 pump to use ; but I have not as of yet used it. The .410 hits a little harder than the 12 gauge ; just less shot although I use 7 1/2 shot . We are shooting at a bird's head about the size of your fist .Try it you will like it. Yes the .410 is legal.

Last edited:

Timbo

A .410 cant be used to kill deer,but Ive never heard of it being illegal for turkey.

gabowman

I voted No. As long as I have the 12 ga. and the 20 ga., then the .410 will stay in the closet.

GB

dominantpredator

fredw said:
Evidently there's no restrictions on the guage you can turkey hunt with.....above quote is from the DNR's web site.
Well it must have changed because a friend of mine won a .410 at our nwtf banquet about 3 or 4 years ago and at the time it was not a legal gun in the state of Georgia.

J Ferguson

I'm just glad to see somebody posted this cause I been wanting to but I didnt want everbody to think I was some kinda idiot (well not anymore than already)

I was wondering about this cause I bought My daughter one fer christmas and wanted to let her use it fer turkey if I could get one in under 20 yards fer her I thought it would be ok ..

Now that that seems to be selled what shot should be used ??

Randy

It is now legal although I do not feel it is ethical! Just like a 22 cal centerfire during deer season it will work but requires a lot of patience and waiting on the right shot and distance. As with the 22 cal centerfire on deer, people tend to let the unexperienced people shoot these non-kicking guns but in fact those are the very people who should not be using them. The first year I ever turkey hunted, I used a .410. I did not know it was illegal at the time. The next year I found out it was and bought a 12 ga. I am glad I did not get a chance to shoot one that first year because I did not know enough to know!

Al White

"It is now legal although I do not feel it is ethical!"

Why not?

I think that maybe what you are saying is that some people would try too long of a shot with one? I feel that at 25 yards a .410 would make a turkey do a backflip. I shot a coyote with a .410, just happened to have one readily handy, last year at 30 yards. He ran about 10 steps and died. I was shooting #7 shot in it.

Randy

Al White said:

Because there are not enough pellets to make sure of a kill except within very close range and that is where most people fail. Look at the rage right now. 3 1/2" shells shooting hevi-shot so they can take them at 60 yards. No dought the .410 will work but it is gun that shoudl be left to experts.

Wetzel

I bought my daughter a .410 last spring in the hopes that we could get a turkey within range for her to shoot. After patterning the gun with several different ammos, I quickly decided that I should have bought a 20 ga. If a turkey is within range, I'd say within 20 yards maximum, the .410 would work great, outside of that 20 yards and I don't think it would be consistent enough to kill turkeys with. Most hunters today are not disciplined enough not to try longer shots even it they know there equipment is not capable. Just my opinion..

hawglips

Banned
I would if I had to. I figure it will do fine as long as you keep it mighty close. Not a whole lot of lead in those shells.

Hal

Gaswamp

I would if I had to. I figure it will do fine as long as you keep it mighty close. Not a whole lot of lead in those shells.

Hal

oh how things change:biggrin2:

dtala

Because there are not enough pellets to make sure of a kill except within very close range and that is where most people fail. Look at the rage right now. 3 1/2" shells shooting hevi-shot so they can take them at 60 yards. No dought the .410 will work but it is gun that shoudl be left to experts.

it ain't ethical to shoot turkeys with a 3.5" magnum 12 if ya do it at 150 yards either....."ethical" ain't got nothing to do with it. A 410 at 20 yards will kill every time if you do your part.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
it ain't ethical to shoot turkeys with a 3.5" magnum 12 if ya do it at 150 yards either....."ethical" ain't got nothing to do with it. A 410 at 20 yards will kill every time if you do your part.

Yep. Ethical is in the shooter, not the gun. Sniping at birds out of the effective range of your weapon is exactly the same, no matter what gauge and load you're shooting.

KentuckyHeadhunter

A lot of guys hunt turkeys with a .410 I can assure you. Also remember a .410 is not a gauge. It's a caliber. The smallest gauge is a 28.