Happy Easter Ishtar/Estar/Esther/Astarte

Artfuldodger

What ever you call it or it's origin, anybody not celebrate? Anybody celebrate without the bunny & eggs? Are there any Church denominations that don't use the bunny/eggs or even celebrate because of the supposed Pagan beginnings?
The First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the March equinox. It is becoming common among some Protestant groups in the U.S. to refer to the day as "Resurrection Day."

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Easter: An Early Celebration of Christ's Resurrection
Another idea involves the history of the Frankish church (Germans who settled in Rome during the fifth century). Their the celebration of Christ's resurrection included the word alba, which means white (the color of the robes worn during the resurrection festival). Alba also meant sunrise. So when the name of the festival was translated into German, the sunrise meaning, ostern, was selected, likely in error. One theory is that Ostern is the origin of the word Easter.
Origin of the Word Easter: What does it mean today?
More important than the question of how the word Easter originated is what it means to us today. When you think of the word Easter, what do you see? If you see bunnies and baskets of chocolate eggs, you are missing out on the richness of this day, considered by many Christians to be even more significant than Christmas. Easter, to Christians, is actually Resurrection Day - the anniversary of the day Jesus rose in triumph from the grave, claiming victory over death. Because He lives, so can you and I, through simple faith in Him. God provided Himself the sacrifice. Thanks to Him, you and I have the hope of eternal life with Him. Won't you trust in Him today?
http://www.allabouthistory.org/origin-of-the-word-easter-faq.htm

mtnwoman

I agree. The resurrection changed everything. And if you don't believe that, then the rest of the Bible is useless/unbelievable/worthless/,mute. So why argue anything but the resurrection, in my opinion.

I didn't even have a bit of a chocolate bunny head, lol. but my granddaughter ate 4 reesecups from the dollar tree (my bad) before we went to eat mexican after church...:hair:...because they weren't packed...lol.

I think they dyed an egg or two....craft/family time at home on saturday night. They prolly 'et' those, too...yum. If not I'll make egg/chicken/tuna salad this week....food for granny...thank you Jesus for the food...it all works together for our good...small or large.

TTom

I celebrated the Equinox with private meditation and then again Easter weekend facilitating a body stress ritual that allowed a man to release some serious burdens he had been holding and building up for a few years.

I hope all had as blessed a weekend as I did no matter how you worship.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I agree. The resurrection changed everything. And if you don't believe that, then the rest of the Bible is useless/unbelievable/worthless/,mute. So why argue anything but the resurrection, in my opinion.
Not arguing the resurrection, just when it happened, and should rightly be celebrated the first Sunday after Passover ends.

SarahFair

I use the holiday to (privately) celebrate procreation and the welcoming of spring..
Chickens and Bunnies - who does it better? :D

Instead of buying my kids junk toys I bought them trees to plant as a symbol of life..
I thought it was neat that they can see the trees grow, as they do ...or something er another

Artfuldodger

I use the holiday to (privately) celebrate procreation and the welcoming of spring..
Chickens and Bunnies - who does it better? :D

Instead of buying my kids junk toys I bought them trees to plant as a symbol of life..
I thought it was neat that they can see the trees grow, as they do ...or something er another

Buy them some Guppies!