Firebow sweetgum

elmer_fudd

I had avoided sweetgum in the past as I never saw it listed as a good wood for friction fire, and I assumed that it was because of the 'gum' sap in the wood. However, it is one of the most common trees in North Georgia so I thought I would give it a try.
It seems to be pretty soft and easy to carve.. a little softer than maple (at least the piece I have). However, it may be tricky to split a piece for fireboard since the grain is 'twisty'.
I tried getting embers several times successfully using both a cherry and an oak spindle. Both times it was pretty quick, but required significant downward pressure to get smoke/coal.
I plan to try other spindles, including a sweetgum spindle, however so far it seems easier than maple. I like it! The fact that it is plentiful and easy to carve is a huge plus.

My technique is also improving, so I guess I have to factor that into this experiment. I have been successful getting embers with different woods in soaking wet conditions (with careful preparation), so am feeling pretty good about my ability. As has been stated in the past, I think the state of the wood is more important than the type of wood. There are some types to avoid, such as pine with resin, but I have used some pieces of pine which worked very well.

Cheers

RBM

That's great. I am going to have to make more effort finding Sweet Gum. I just haven't really seen it around in the wilderness so far here even though we are suppose to have it. We have plenty of Holly (Dahoon Holly mostly) so I might see about that wood for a possibility. If the wood etches I will give it a try. I have used Huckleberry and that wood just hasn't worked for me (I suspect it may be sap compounds still in the dried wood. Kind of like dried resin still in the wood that I can't see.) to get a coal but it did pretty good for use as a socket. I have had the same problem with Brazilian Pepper.

Yes, wood density and wood condition is more important than the type of wood. Although theoretically any wood should work if its dry enough but density and condition may shoot that theory down. I also challenge myself in wet conditions and humid dampness is the rule here in FL, not the exception. Pine is tricky. I look for sap free, solid, and dry seasoned wood. Even then it may or may not work for me. Kind of hit or miss. Same for Cypress.

elmer_fudd

Holly worked well as a spindle for me, did not try it as baseboard as it is very dense. I dont remember which baseboards I used with it, but I guess it would be similar to using oak.
Heck, by backyard is looking like a friction fire grave yard.
:yawn:

RBM

After messing around with Holly today I came to the same conclusion. It is hard, barely etching. It did not work on itself and I put an Oak spindle on it and it still didn't work.

7 point

I have a sweet gum in my yard think I,ll give it a shot.

elmer_fudd

I cannot get an ember using tulip poplar spindle on sweetgum. Lots of smoke but never an ember.:banginghe
Harder spindles, such as oak, work fine.
I have not tried it extensively, but does anyone have luck using soft spindles on harder baseboards?