07 F150 throwing P0442 code

hiawassee1

Anyone had any issues related to this code? It started throwing it bout once a month, but then it has gotten more frequent. I also have noticed it sounds like it has some sort of exhaust leak, which I think is related to the code. Shop I took it to today did a diagnostics on it, and it gave him several possibilities for the solution. He told me I would he would just be going down the list replacing parts until he found the bad part. So I was hoping somebody else on here had a similar situation, and might shed some light on the problem.

Thanks, J.R.

Wild Turkey

Google is your friend;
Defective or damaged fuel cap
Distorted or damaged Fuel Tank Filler Neck
Small tear or puncture in the Evaporative system hose(s) and/or Carbon Canister
Defective Fuel Tank Sending Unit gasket or seal
Small split in a seam of the Carbon Canister
Defective Evaporative Vent Valve and/or Evaporative Purge Valve
Defective or damaged Fuel Tank
Defective Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
Defective Leak Detection Pump
Slightly loose and/or worn clamps or hardened O-rings anywhere in the EVAP system

Start simple with new gas cap and check around fuel fill hose looking for wear/hole.
Then jump on the cannister.. Youtube it and you will find it.

hiawassee1

His print out had all or most of these listed on it, I was just hoping to narrow it down a few, with what seems to be some sort of exhaust/air leak. You can hear it puttering down the road while you drive, as well as when you first start it up. Also the leak seems to be coming from the front passenger side if that helps.

Gaducker

Go to a shop that has a smoke machine. If you are using a shop who cant narrow the problem down any better than "just changing parts till he found the problem" You probably should find yourself another shop.

Lukikus2

Sounds like the cannister being in that area. Use a 2' piece of water hose as a stethescope and see if you can pin point it.

DAVE

That code is for a small leak in the evap system and has nothing to do with exhaust or puttering. It is not an easy system to diagnose correctly. You will probably save yourself a lot of time and aggravation to pay a qualified mechanic to check or you can start changing parts until you get lucky.

Gaducker

Or you can pay someone to hook it up to a smoke machine and find your leak.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The smoke machine works if they will use it correctly. Being a 15 yr ford technician before I left the biz, I personally would buy a fuel cap before I did anything extreme like take it to the ford dealer. It's not uncommon for them to fail and it is the only part of the Evap system that is removed and installed. (Weekly in most Fords) lol

7Mag Hunter

The smoke machine works if they will use it correctly. Being a 15 yr ford technician before I left the biz, I personally would buy a fuel cap before I did anything extreme like take it to the ford dealer. It's not uncommon for them to fail and it is the only part of the Evap system that is removed and installed. (Weekly in most Fords) lol

Gas cap....

hiawassee1

Okay so I think I have solved the code problem, all I did was flip the rubber gasket around on the gas cap and it has stopped throwing the code.

On the other hand the exhaust leak puddering sound, has gotten worse after pulling my camper so it goes to a different shop on Monday, I think it may be a exhaust manifold leak or the gasket leaking. Someone tried to tell me it was the cam bearing going bad and I need a new motor. Keep ya posted

Last edited:

hiawassee1

Alright, it was the exhaust manifold gasket so hopefully I can get it back today.

I didnt think it was the Cam Bearing going bad, never really heard of one going bad, to me its either working or its not.

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
Good deal buddy. Glad you got your issues fixed. Drive it with a smile.

hiawassee1

Well he also had to replace the exhaust manifold, he said it was warpped, so I am getting it back tomorrow, and yes I will smile cause it wont sound so horrible driving down the rd.