Prayers needed for my 2 yo son

K80

Please keep Grant and our family in your prayers. he has scans tomorrow and after the last five or six days we are not expecting a good report.

jigman29

Had to have my girl checked when she was 5 for cancer.I was a basket case for a while waiting on the results.I cant even begin to imagine what your going through.I will keep your little man and the rest of your family in my prayers.

K80

Still inconclusive, which is much better than expected.

Thanks for the prayers and please keep them up.

speedcop

we are still praying and pulling for the little guy

buckspotter

Continued Prayers your way K80

AS a father to 3, I cannot imagine the heartache this brings you. You have my prayers for God's peace and eventual healing of young Grant. While we may never know the reasons for trials of this magnitude in our lives, we know God is in control and He cares. We share your burden.

Northwestretriever

Praying for your son and your family.

SAhunter

Prayers lifted for the little man and your family. May Gods grace be with you all and his hedge of angels protect him.

MAC2

Prayers continuing to be lifted.

K80

Update from the 4th:

As some of you are aware, around three weeks ago Grant took a turn for the worst (one week after I sent out the update about the end of his original 53 week treatment plan and how good he was doing). He was scheduled to go in for his PET scan that Thursday morning, however, the night before he spiked a fever and was taken to the hospital for antibiotics and monitoring. An hour after being in the hospital Grant went into sepsis shock and his body started shutting down and he started having seizures. The doctors had to put his trach back in as his airway was collapsing and then he stopped breathing so they had to put him on a ventilator. At this time it was 4:45 am and I was called and told I needed to come to the hospital as we were likely going to have to make some decisions that no parent should ever have to make for their child… Thankfully, Grant stabilized after being placed on the ventilator and was only unconscious for around 12 hours.

The seizures prompted a CT Scan which indicated three possibilities Grant moved during the scan, he had an infection in his brain, or he had relapsed. A follow up MRI and spinal tap was preformed to try and confirm what was going on. These test were inconclusive other than confirming Grant did not move and there was something presenting itself in and/or on Grant’s brain. The next few days were a roller coaster ride from hades with experts going back and forth between a relapse (relapse of RMS is a worst case scenario) and infection. All of the testing that was done during this time was inconclusive. Because the spinal tap, CT scan, MRI, blood work, and etc were all inconclusive a PET Scan was done at which point the spot/s in his brain did not show up. If it turns out to be AML we would not know about it until it was fatal if not for Grant spiking his fever and having seizures, so this does give us some hope.

Grant was placed on anti-seizure medication as well as strong antibiotics and sent home with a game plan of doing a second MRI two weeks from the first MRI. This past Friday morning we were called and informed that in two weeks there had been progression of disease in his brain and he had relapsed and scheduled to come in Monday (yesterday) to discuss our options.

At yesterday’s meeting it was still inconclusive what we are dealing with. We are either dealing with secondary AML (acute myelogenous leukemia) (this is the terminal leukemia that was mention in the previous e-mail that he could get from his maintenance chemo) or a relapse of Rhabdomyosarcoma. Up to this point when the doctors have referred to the possibilities of Grant getting AML it has been referred to as terminal, however, yesterday we were told that AML is the better case scenario. We have picked our treatment options for either scenario and will start another grueling treatment regimen hopefully by the weeks end. In either case, if it is not responsive to treatment the disease in his brain is considered aggressive, due to the amount of progression in two weeks between scans, and is a worst case scenario and time is limited.

Since Grant has gone into sepsis shock he is back to his normal self, however, in the last few days his left leg has become “lazy” whereas he drags or rolls his leg forward with his hip and it has gotten noticeably worse since Saturday. The cause of this is not readily clear but is very concerning especially if treatment does not start sooner than later.

Please continue to pray for Grant and our family during this time.

K80

Today's update:

The testing done over the last few days has ruled out AML (acute myelogenous leukemia) therefore, his Rhabdomyosarcoma has relapsed and we are in a worst case scenario as far as the doctors are concerned (statistically a 0% chance of survival). Grant will start an intensive weekly chemo regimen tomorrow. The drugs he will receive will be new to him thus the tumor has not had a chance to build a tolerance to the regimen he is starting.

At this point, and just as in the beginning, Grant’s life is in the Lord’s hands. We are thankful for the seizures as without them we would not know that he has relapsed and would have started a maintenance chemo treatment plan that would not have been effective on this and we would likely not have found the progressed disease until it was fatal. The doctors are hopeful the treatments we start tomorrow will give us more time with him while offering him decent quality of life for the time being.

With that said Grant is not your typical cancer patient, he is up and running and playing when clinically he should be bed ridden due to the harshness of the chemos he has received. His response thus far has surpassed everyone’s expectations. Many did not expect him to make a month upon diagnosis, including myself, we have learned to never count him out and to keep faith in the Lord. There is no doubt that Grant has done as well as he has because of the Lord’s healing hands.

Matthew 19:26
With God all things are possible.

Thank you for the well wishes and prayers. We ask that you continue to lift our family in your prayers.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Grant and all of your family remain in our thoughts and prayers.