Bear cub

gcs

How old or big are cubs when the mother runs them off? I seen a cub this morning while deer hunting and it may go 30# at the most and it didn't have its mother with it. This evening I hunted the same stand and saw the same cub. I watched it for over 30 minutes and when it left, it didn't go back the way it came from. I still didn't see its mom.
I'll try to load a pic. It's not to good, I took it with my phone.

FMBear

That's too early not to have mama around. Generally they'll keep their cubs, especially the female cubs, around for up to 2 years. That one should still be with its mother.

gcs

Here are a few pics. The pic with the haze around it, I took with phone through my bino's

Attachments

• cub.jpg
    cub.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 760
  • cub2.jpg
    cub2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 757

NC Scout

Motherless Cubs

Every Fall in WNC we have to endure the cries of these motherless 1st year cubs bawling in the mtns. Its because their mommy has been kilt. Their chances of making it thru winter is slim to zero. It is illegal to kill a sow with cubs but a lot of things are illegal and people do them anyways. It would be kindest to kill these cubs if you're going to kill their mommy but since they're underweight most are left to wander aimlessly until something, hunger, cars, predators, kills them.

Last edited:

gcs

I don't know all that much about bears. I thought
It looked to young to be without its mother. I didn't know how far a mother bear would let a cub out of her sight. Maybe she was around and I just didn't see her.

NorthGaBowhunter

I don't know all that much about bears. I thought
It looked to young to be without its mother. I didn't know how far a mother bear would let a cub out of her sight. Maybe she was around and I just didn't see her.

Just curious, your not in that club coming out of dawsonville on the left on 53 at the river are you???

T-N-T

So, I am wondering (along with KillerKyle, after discussing this with him a few weeks ago) if DNR requires a head and hide to be checked after a bear kill for this reason.
Would a mother bear, whos cub was nursing, show signs on belly? Thinned hair at a minimum even if she was no longer lactating?:huh:

gcs

I was hunting the same stand last weekend and seen a sow with 2 cubs. One cub might have been the little cub I seen all by himself the other day. Idk for sure, but it seemed to be around the same size.