GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > General Hunting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Brianduffey Brianduffey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptonongood View Post
Interesting comment. A couple of thoughts, if a military person set foot on the ground in Vietnam, they're presumptive positive for exposure to Agent Orange. This chemical compound, by the way, killed a couple of my friends and is slowly dragging a couple more to their deaths.

Some of us, who were there, continue to experience situations which we wish we didn't have. I'd say we're still sacrificing in certain ways.

Last point, having worked with over a thousand veterans in my career, I do not recall a single veteran ever "...begging the regular people..." for a darn thing. Maybe my exposure to veterans wasn't as expansive or broad as yours was. Please correct me if I am in error.

I get my basic hunting and fishing license free now because I'm old. I get a free state park pass because I left behind a good part of my hearing in the military (service connected disability) which I would gladly forego if I could get my hearing back.

But, perhaps the greatest thing I get to have now is the knowledge and greatest honor that I served my country honorably and well for four years.
You know the VA Opened back up the against orange claims I hear it every time I call the 1800 number
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Uptonongood's Avatar
Uptonongood Uptonongood is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Did you register? Do you have one of the conditions caused by Agent Orange? Have you contacted a claims specialist with the DAV, VFW, AMERICAN LEGION, VVA, orThe Order of the Purple Heart to help you file a claim for Agent Orange, hearing loss, injury, combat related or otherwise, sustained while on active duty? Contact one of the groups I mentioned above, they will help you. You and the Benefits section of the VA are adversaries, not allies. The service agencies are your allies.
__________________
"Shoot up here amongest us, one of us gotta have some relief!" Coon hunting with Jerry Clower (RIP Mr. Clower)

Last edited by Uptonongood; 03-18-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added content
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Brianduffey Brianduffey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptonongood View Post
Did you register? Do you have one of the conditions caused by Agent Orange? Have you contacted a claims specialist with the DAV, VFW, AMERICAN LEGION, VVA, orThe Order of the Purple Heart to help you file a claim for Agent Orange, hearing loss, injury, combat related or otherwise, sustained while on active duty? Contact one of the groups I mentioned above, they will help you. You and the Benefits section of the VA are adversaries, not allies. The service agencies are your allies.
No I'm only 32 I was telling you they announce it on there phone
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Uptonongood's Avatar
Uptonongood Uptonongood is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.
__________________
"Shoot up here amongest us, one of us gotta have some relief!" Coon hunting with Jerry Clower (RIP Mr. Clower)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:39 AM
saltshake saltshake is offline
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: crystal River,Fl
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Larry Salter

Can't believe that anybody living in tne USof A could say that they would not like Veterans getting a break on something as small as free hunting and fishing. They need to get in and see what its all about. Shame on you.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-25-2017, 07:36 PM
swamp hunter's Avatar
swamp hunter swamp hunter is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: naples fla.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Lot's of mixed emotions here..and that's what they are Emotions.
I volunteered for Nam..and sat in Germany drinking good beer and seeing the sights for 3 years..I'm no Hero , why should I get a free license, I mean Thanks for thinkin of me but the worst Combat I saw was Bar fights.
I should have paid the Military for all they taught me...
__________________
Life is not waiting for the Storm to pass, It,s Learning to Dance in the Rain
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 AM
smitty's Avatar
smitty smitty is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WEST GA>
iTrader: (5) Check/Add Feedback
Default College Money !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Really, "free" college money on the taxpayers dime huh?

I had to pay $1200 into the GI Bill to get that "free" college money. Maybe I missed the "free" clause in my enlistment contract.

Not to mention putting my life at risk to being able to eventually be able to collect that "free" money.


Btw: I bet it would really grinds your gears to know that I get my D/L free from the state.
I missed out on the free college as well. in 1980 I received the VEAP-veterans educational assistance program where I put in $ 2700 and I would received $5400 .Sounded like a good ideal till I got out in 1987 and that $5400 was split into 36 equal payments for a 4 year program...I get a free DL and a couple tags for my time served
__________________
Watching the World from your Treestand !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM
smitty's Avatar
smitty smitty is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WEST GA>
iTrader: (5) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I stated my college benefits were far from free, no more no less. Read and reread !! For the record I didn't ask you how long or where all you served ,you blew your own horn !
__________________
Watching the World from your Treestand !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Brianduffey Brianduffey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

They took it out and put 80% of the regular life time license which would be 600 so it will be 200 more than the current veteran lifetime license
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-01-2017, 02:33 PM
blood on the ground's Avatar
blood on the ground blood on the ground is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the Zoo called Atl
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I'd gladly pay extra to give those who have served a break. They sure put a lot on the line for me..
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Muldoon's Avatar
Muldoon Muldoon is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Backside of nowhere
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Disabled Vets shouldn't have to buy a license in any state!!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 PM
shawnrice's Avatar
shawnrice shawnrice is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mims FL./Rockledge Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoon View Post
Disabled Vets shouldn't have to buy a license in any state!!
I AGREE !!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM
The mtn man's Avatar
The mtn man The mtn man is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Union county
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Well, I'm not the kind of person that gets easily offended, but some of the comments on here are offensive to me, and I'm sure they are to most vets, most of us enlisted out of high school mainly because we had no other direction. Some of us the generation before me were drafted. Either way, most of us served for two reasons, the first was because we love our country, speaking for myself, i thought, well since I failed to make any decisions on my future in highschool, and because I had no guidence, I'll just serve my country for a few years for next to no pay while I try to figure out which direction I want to take my life. If I could go back, i would have still served. We didn't serve with getting free things in mind. We didn't serve to get rich. We served because some of us felt like it was the right thing to do. As for serving while not in a conflict. Most folks don't realize, while although your not serving in a "war" you more than likely are serving in a potentially dangerous area protecting American interests. Although I never served in a war during the 1990s there were times as a 95-B my team would get into some fairly volital situations. Also anyone that had duty at ft mcclellan Alabama and did any kind of training on pellam range has a serious potential of dying from a multitude of different cancers, i won't go into why, but no matter if you were a cook in the field, if you had a supply mos, or anything else, everyone that served no matter the situation in my opinion put their lives at risk for their country, some more than others. But to say that anyone who served is not a patriot is unpatriotic IMO. As for the GI bill, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, i got some books paid for. As for the free stuff, we don't ask for it, nor do most of us feel intitled. I'll pay for my own hunting license, i pay for everything else. One more thing, some people have no idea what it's like to serve in a true combat situation, those guys need us, we need to take care of them all we can, they are my heros. Most of them are still having there own combat everday, whether or not they feel like they lived through that for me or not, they did it for you and me.
__________________
When I'm up in the high gap, I hear ole Tom break the silence in the next holler, I always ask myself, what would Cliff do.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Muldoon's Avatar
Muldoon Muldoon is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Backside of nowhere
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mtn man View Post
Well, I'm not the kind of person that gets easily offended, but some of the comments on here are offensive to me, and I'm sure they are to most vets, most of us enlisted out of high school mainly because we had no other direction. Some of us the generation before me were drafted. Either way, most of us served for two reasons, the first was because we love our country, speaking for myself, i thought, well since I failed to make any decisions on my future in highschool, and because I had no guidence, I'll just serve my country for a few years for next to no pay while I try to figure out which direction I want to take my life. If I could go back, i would have still served. We didn't serve with getting free things in mind. We didn't serve to get rich. We served because some of us felt like it was the right thing to do. As for serving while not in a conflict. Most folks don't realize, while although your not serving in a "war" you more than likely are serving in a potentially dangerous area protecting American interests. Although I never served in a war during the 1990s there were times as a 95-B my team would get into some fairly volital situations. Also anyone that had duty at ft mcclellan Alabama and did any kind of training on pellam range has a serious potential of dying from a multitude of different cancers, i won't go into why, but no matter if you were a cook in the field, if you had a supply mos, or anything else, everyone that served no matter the situation in my opinion put their lives at risk for their country, some more than others. But to say that anyone who served is not a patriot is unpatriotic IMO. As for the GI bill, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, i got some books paid for. As for the free stuff, we don't ask for it, nor do most of us feel intitled. I'll pay for my own hunting license, i pay for everything else. One more thing, some people have no idea what it's like to serve in a true combat situation, those guys need us, we need to take care of them all we can, they are my heros. Most of them are still having there own combat everday, whether or not they feel like they lived through that for me or not, they did it for you and me.
You'd have to explain what MOS is! Most wouldn't have a clue!!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Miguel Cervantes's Avatar
Miguel Cervantes Miguel Cervantes is offline
GON Severe Weatherman
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between Bethlehem, Loganville & Monroe
iTrader: (8) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mtn man View Post
Well, I'm not the kind of person that gets easily offended, but some of the comments on here are offensive to me, and I'm sure they are to most vets, most of us enlisted out of high school mainly because we had no other direction. Some of us the generation before me were drafted. Either way, most of us served for two reasons, the first was because we love our country, speaking for myself, i thought, well since I failed to make any decisions on my future in highschool, and because I had no guidence, I'll just serve my country for a few years for next to no pay while I try to figure out which direction I want to take my life. If I could go back, i would have still served. We didn't serve with getting free things in mind. We didn't serve to get rich. We served because some of us felt like it was the right thing to do. As for serving while not in a conflict. Most folks don't realize, while although your not serving in a "war" you more than likely are serving in a potentially dangerous area protecting American interests. Although I never served in a war during the 1990s there were times as a 95-B my team would get into some fairly volital situations. Also anyone that had duty at ft mcclellan Alabama and did any kind of training on pellam range has a serious potential of dying from a multitude of different cancers, i won't go into why, but no matter if you were a cook in the field, if you had a supply mos, or anything else, everyone that served no matter the situation in my opinion put their lives at risk for their country, some more than others. But to say that anyone who served is not a patriot is unpatriotic IMO. As for the GI bill, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, i got some books paid for. As for the free stuff, we don't ask for it, nor do most of us feel intitled. I'll pay for my own hunting license, i pay for everything else. One more thing, some people have no idea what it's like to serve in a true combat situation, those guys need us, we need to take care of them all we can, they are my heros. Most of them are still having there own combat everday, whether or not they feel like they lived through that for me or not, they did it for you and me.
__________________
Don't draw fire. It irritates the people around you.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-06-2017, 01:40 PM
The mtn man's Avatar
The mtn man The mtn man is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Union county
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoon View Post
You'd have to explain what MOS is! Most wouldn't have a clue!!
Haha, i guess your right, MOS, ( military occupational specialty).
__________________
When I'm up in the high gap, I hear ole Tom break the silence in the next holler, I always ask myself, what would Cliff do.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Teh Wicked Teh Wicked is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Flowery Branch, GA.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

70% VA disability here (Should be 100)

Would love to see something like this get approved.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Killdee's Avatar
Killdee Killdee is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Marietta Ga
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Some of you guys are real.......... well I can't say on here.
100% fine with me
Hopefully Now Trump can get the VA and your health benefits fixed.
__________________
I'm your Huckleberry
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Muldoon's Avatar
Muldoon Muldoon is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Backside of nowhere
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdee View Post
Some of you guys are real.......... well I can't say on here.
100% fine with me
Hopefully Now Trump can get the VA and your health benefits fixed.
PATRIOTS....would work!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger