GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Bear Hunting

Old 03-15-2017, 04:50 AM

I can tell ya lake russell gets trashed at the campsites along the river! Looks like a war zone at times! Might be a good spot for a clean up in the future. Unfortunately there is no shortage of spots that could use a clean up day like this. Thanks for yalls hard work!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
BTW, TallChris is an apt username. That boy is lofty
LOL and yours is too. We love these woods so we will take care of them when no one else will. Just seeing those pictures of trashed campgrounds makes me mad. These public hunting, fishing, and camping grounds have been here for generations, but need to be maintained if we want to continue enjoying it. I remember the last summer the many tourists who came up to Chattahoochee to camp and enjoy the outdoors. Every season more people will come back and fill up all the campgrounds, but not if it's covered in old beer cans, burnt logs, plastic wrappers, and the discarded remnants of last year.

Killerkyle you're the man for setting this up. Folks he's a great guy and he thanked me profusely afterwards, personally as well as over text. It is my sincerest wish that finally meeting you, Kyle, Jboggs, and all the other guys who came by to help will start an enduring friendship for many seasons to come.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Thanks to all for the kind words! The NGTO board of directors approached me about making this an annual event. It seems tempting, but me.......I'm not much for commitments. I'll commit to a fishing trip, to waking up early to hunt, to a cold adult libation, or to a pulled pork sandwich. Most other commitments take a backseat. Although I'd love to make this an annual event, Chattahoochee WMA is not the only place on earth, or in the NE GA mtns. There are lots of places that need attention. It just so happened that I just tend to spend a lot of time on Chattahoochee and knew where the trash was. I'm sure Cooper's Creek, Chestatee, Blue Ridge, and Lake Russell as well as others need some love, I just don't know where the garbage is there. Northeastgasportsman even mentioned Richard Russell Scenic Hwy to me , and I know without a shadow of a doubt that he is correct, because I have seen the trash there myself. I don't know if I want to commit to an event being tied down in one place when so many other places need maintenance. Tell me folks, what are your thoughts? Do you think it may be practical to hold an event like this every year in a different location and for the same purpose? We would need intel from locals and "scouts" to give us the scoop on where the junk is. Sounds like RippleRider already mentioned one place up Owl Creek Rd. (RippleRider, is that along a section of NF?!)
I'd most likely be up for the owltown or coopers creek clean up if done. Also, there's a group that helped get the adult/child hunt done on coopers that might be useful for the coopers clean up.
I think it's a great idea to keep it moving but also get hunters involved in continually cleaning up areas we see that need attention. Im always picking up trash as I come across it, but have no way to dispose of tires and mattresses and other large items.

Well done Kyle and everybody!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM

I'll swing by the PIG-pen rd. on my way in from work today and let ya'll know if it's still as sickening as it was.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Someone has cleaned the worst of it up. Theres still 3 tires there, a large armchair, a grill and assorted bottles and cans. Picked up some of it but didnt have a trash bag in the car. I could hang a snatch-block on the upper side of the rd. run a rope through it and pull the heavy stuff up to the rd. if it doesnt come apart while I drag it. Would need one person to help. I might could get my nephew but he's coaching ball and awful busy.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM

kyle , have they started trashing the Hooch yet? I might be able to get back up there next week. do not know whether to take rod or gun.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM

It most certainly has Long Tom! This proves that all of this is going to be an ongoing battle. On the SAME DAY as the cleanup, volunteers had cleaned the first couple pull offs on Poplar Stump road cleaner than I have ever seen them before. Then after the workday was all said and done, as I drove past that first pulloff that had JUST been cleaned, there was a CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCe nsored' Mountain Dew can lying right there. I verbally said aloud "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WE JUST CLEANED HERE THREE HOURS AGO!!!!" So, I got out and got that can.

I went there Sunday night to the very same pull off again, and though it was spick and span on the day of the cleanup, I filled a shopping bag slap full Sunday night with cigarette packs, aluminum cans, Dairy Queen cups, lids, napkins, wrappers, and spoons., among various items. I also went up to Martin Branch, and the old fire ring there was covered with crumpled up newspaper, magazine pages, and cardboard was lying all around. Unbelievable what people can do in a week!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:58 AM

Not only what they can do but will do.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Y'all made it famous on the interwebs boys and girls! Thank you all again for showing up and showing out!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 AM

Ive seen it all now. I rode one of my favorite F.S. roads yesterday evening off 180 near Brasstown Bald. Some special people have left a toilet seat mounted on a 5 gallon bucket not 20 feet from the road at the only decent camping spot on the whole road. NGSportsman knows where I'm talking about. There was a shower curtain next to it, for privacy I guess. I've found something like this left behind before on Sea Creek, but it was 50 yards back in the woods behind camp with a ziplock bag of lime beside it. No problem with that. To beat it all, these folks had put orange tape on every exposed root in the whole campsite. Talk about a pain to clean up. I had to leave the toilet for now as my only trash bag was nearly full with the rest of the trash from target shooters at the end of the road and the kids toys left at the campsite but I plan on coming back with disposable gloves and getting it. At least the bottom was cut out of the bucket. Otherwise I'm not sure I would have the stomach to dispose of it.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplerider View Post
Ive seen it all now. I rode one of my favorite F.S. roads yesterday evening off 180 near Brasstown Bald. Some special people have left a toilet seat mounted on a 5 gallon bucket not 20 feet from the road at the only decent camping spot on the whole road. NGSportsman knows where I'm talking about. There was a shower curtain next to it, for privacy I guess. I've found something like this left behind before on Sea Creek, but it was 50 yards back in the woods behind camp with a ziplock bag of lime beside it. No problem with that. To beat it all, these folks had put orange tape on every exposed root in the whole campsite. Talk about a pain to clean up. I had to leave the toilet for now as my only trash bag was nearly full with the rest of the trash from target shooters at the end of the road and the kids toys left at the campsite but I plan on coming back with disposable gloves and getting it. At least the bottom was cut out of the bucket. Otherwise I'm not sure I would have the stomach to dispose of it.

Let me know when you plan on going back and I might can squeeze in a little time to go with you.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:52 PM

I'll try to do that. It will be next week sometime. I noticed a couple of mattresses right off 180 on my way home, didnt have time to try to get them.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Thanks for a job well done. I hope to camp up there sometime this summer. It is about 3 hours from my home. It is a real treat to visit that area. I don't understand why folks don't take their trash with them. Is the area patrolled enough when it's not hunting season. I hate to think that methheads are using the area. The local Boy Scout troup may be able to help next time. Y'all did good.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Thank you guys for all being willing to get your hands dirty and keep the woods clean. It's encouraging to know there are other people out there who pick up others' trash and want to protect the land we love.

And people say hunters aren't conservationist....