GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Leases and Land Management and Gardening > Land For Lease - All other states outside of Georgia

Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Default CMHC - South Carolina - Private / Exclusive Membership (spot filled - thanks!)

Hey Folks!

As a result of some difficulties, one of our members (John) will not be able to be a member of CMHC this year. He is a wonderful guy and has been in and out of CMHC since 2011 and we are distraught at his leaving.

With this said, we have one (1) opening for 2017.

Dues for 2017 are $2025 per member this year, we pay $50 per member in August for insurance.

Reading these links will give you an idea of our land and allow you to see what we are about:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?...=boyd+carolina

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?...=boyd+carolina

Reading these threads and looking at the photos (in particular) should help show you our land and our herd.

We are in an area that is flat loaded with deer and turkey. Many people say this, we can back it up.

We are 6 hunters on 844 acres total and as a result of excellent trigger control – we only took three bucks in 2016: 187 lbs, 226 lbs and 257 lbs.

Yes, 257 lbs – verified on two scales.

Think we took about 12-14 does, three of which were taken with archery. We may have taken a few more than this - but no less.... I would have to look at the sign in book.

Our season starts 15 August and a velvet buck is very easy to take, if you are a rifle hunter and choose to do so. It is, however, much harder to do with archery (ask me how I know….).

Our club is now in zones (3) and this is very intentional. We have two members per zone and this places the burden of work, careful scouting, reducing human pressure and being smart in general on the two members that are assigned a zone. If you scout too much, check your cameras too much, ride your 4 wheeler too much, shoot smaller bucks, traipse all over the land during season – you are only hurting yourself. On the other hand, if you avoid this behavior – you are really helping yourself….

This is important – each zone with its two members must be on the same page as it relates to food plot costs, feeder costs, the cost of corn during season, mineral stations and protein stations, should you choose to go this latter route. The dues, which are not cheap in the first place, are clearly not the only costs. I tell you this not to scare you, just so you will know what it costs to obtain, create and maintain a place that is special when you hunt it. Our deer are plentiful, they are unpressured (for the most part), they are healthy and we are on private, long term leased land. Keeping the deer fed and healthy gets really hard when you have the aggressive herd that we have. They will eat you out of house and home in a very short period of time….

No discussion of costs would be complete without noting that land in this area - for lease - is almost impossible to come by at any price. We are in western Bamberg county - do some searching and note what you can find for lease or clubs that are accepting members. What you will find is almost non existent - it is almost all old-family land (which is what we hunt on) that is simply not for lease.

All CMHC rules and guidelines apply in our zone arrangement. You are a club member and are NOT subleasing a property. You are, however, allowed to manage your own property. I will inspect periodically but it will be with your knowledge.

We have a simple two buck limit with 14” 4 point per side minimum. We gladly invite you to take 4-5 does to fill your freezer. We would not be happy with someone that took a second 14” buck “just because the limit was 2”. Rare has been the hunter that took two bucks in one year – think I have only done this one time since 2010. Hunters that simply must take the max on bucks are not the guys we are looking for – we are looking for someone that wants to grow the property and the herd and make the hunt a far more enjoyable process.

Perfect would be the guy that took a great 16" tall tine buck and then later managed to harvest a giant 20" behemoth - because it was so much bigger than the first. I am sure you know what I mean.

All of our members are from out of state (except me and I probably hunt less than anyone else – I am basically gone the month of November for Illinois). I would classify our pressure as light.

We have little to no trespass, have had no theft problems and are very content with our arrangements, which are all face to face with private landowners – same family.

The zone (three tracts) that is open is the crown jewel of our tracts. It is our original acreage (beginning in 2010) and is where the barn / camping / sign in board is located. This tract is also the one we pay the most for but these costs are mitigated by the other zones – meaning we average the overall costs because we all share the barn.

We will offer one camping spot with this membership and it can be provided power and water. Power is split monthly by the number of campers present. You will be responsible for running the power and water to your camper (30' approx.), at my instruction.

This membership covers three tracts, which total 244 acres – which will only have two hunters total – one of which is being offered here - to you, if you are the right person. You will be paired with a long time member (Karl) who has no kids and his wife does not hunt – so he is the ONLY other person that will be hunting these tracts:

185 acres

70% tillable in cotton, melon, peanut rotation – think 2017 will be melons. Fortunately, the largest tillable field is about 30 acres and they are all broken up by ditches, fence rows, woods patches, etc. One of the ag fields is entirely enclosed by woods and has produced very well. Think there are 9 ag fields on this tract total.
30% in hardwood and mixed pine and hardwood
1 small duck pond, full all the time
1 creek that runs 90% of the time
A few seasonal creeks
Good to very good oaks
Incredible amounts of edge, a rifle hunter’s dream
Numerous excellent archery areas
Roughly 12 acres of food plots
5 standard food plots: 2.0, 2.5, 2.5, .9, 1.0 acre food plots – all with ph greater than 6.5 – no stumps, holes, drop off’s etc
1 of these 2.5 acre plots is in a Ladino clover test to see if perennials will work in our area – loaded with oats, Austrian winter peas, blue lupine and clover now and needs maintenance in 2017 to see if the clover will live and thrive - if yes, we will likely begin to pattern other plots off of this.
We also have about 2.5 acres of plots in rows (in the woods) on the west side of the property – all with ph of greater than 6.5. These have been very healthy and have provided excellent draw for deer and turkey. No stumps and no holes.
There are multiple stands in place and room for many more.
Barn on north end of property with the campers, power and water – hunt this tract and you do not need to drive anywhere.

45 acres

This tract has been criminally under-hunted lately - in spite of the fact that a few great bucks were taken there early on – in 2011 and 2012 if I recall correctly.
It is about 35 acres of tillable ground (same rotation and was melons in 2016) but the woods on either side (east and west) are very dense and can be a bow hunters dream.
Excellent long range rifle hunting
Good powerline section with ditch / creek – grows up thick for years and then the powerline company mows it…. (one good food plot area in this section but we have not used it in years – ph would be poor)
The oaks on this farm are excellent to very excellent.
Two small ag ponds that contain water all the time.

14 acres

Nasty, thick swamp bottom with a small pine hill
Creek flows through and adjoins river.
I have been on this property since 2010 and to my knowledge, this little area has never been hunted.
Awesome spot, I think, for a feeder and an archery set up. Put in two stands for different wind directions and run the feeder on the dry ground
There are probably some oaks on this tract – but I am not sure.

Who are we looking for?

First and foremost – you must be able to respect the land and our guidelines, which are simple, reasonable and will be shared with prospective members. Failure to do this will either get you ejected or uninvited the following year. You are an out of state hunter with a full time job that is not going to “live” at the camp through the deer season. You are QDM minded but are not a trophy freak. You are reasonable, roll with the punches and enjoy the work at the farm almost as much as you love the hunt. You are content with 1 – 2 bucks per year….or less – some years, you may elect not to take any. You are content to use does to fill the freezer. (For lack of a better term, I am the club president and I think I have taken 3 bucks in the last 4 years. I am also archery only, in spite of the fact that we have no archery season). You are food plot and mineral lick minded. You understand the investment in the land and take the long view for a hunting arrangement – meaning you are as concerned with years 4, 5 and 6 as you are with year 1. You are able to avoid male fawn harvest (which would count as a buck on your membership). You are someone that values privacy and treasures hunts that are free from intrusion. You are fiercely protective of your arrangement and want to see it grow and become better each year.

We tried to put together a tractor co-op purchase this year with the members and we did not get it done yet – this is still on the table. I have basically used my tractor to do all the work in previous years and I just cannot keep up. I have loaned the tractor before with less than stellar results and usage / abuse.

Get in touch with me and we will start the discussion. A phone interview with me would begin the process and I will then talk to Karl – and we will schedule a call for all of us and then a club visit.

Our turkey season begins very soon, so if you are interested in that – make it snappy. Our club year runs Jan – Dec. Dues are due each year on 1 January.

I welcome you to talk to current members and the guy who is leaving us - John. If you would like to talk with past members, we welcome that, as well.

References for you – from past or current hunting arrangements, would be a good thing.

I have included photos of the 185 and 45 and what we encounter with our plots. This last pic is on the west side of the 185.

Thanks for reading…

Jim
803-479-8975 cell and text.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim Boyd; 04-09-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: pics
Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 AM

I had the pleasure to turkey hunt the 145 with Mr. Jim and I can attest this area is absolutely loaded with deer and turkeys. Jim is a great guy and this is a wonderful opportunity for someone.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Thanks Jim for putting this post together.
This is Karl, the guy looking to share this lease with someone at Carolina Moon Hunt Club. I have only been at one other hunt club and it was a far cry from what CMHC is. I know I wont be looking anywhere else to hunt, unless I get to go to Illinois. Yes I know the prices is not cheap but you definitely get out what you put in, well worth the $$ for me. Quality hunts, quality people and quality deer, you cant put a price on that.
Ill be at the club on the weekend of March 25 to get some work done and probably do a little Turkey hunting if I'm so inclined. If anyone who is interested in coming to see the property give Mr Jim a call and then shout out to me at 321-480-5885 and we will discuss details.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM

So it's 2 grand to hunt 244 acres?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Default SC lease

Southern,

Yes, it is $2000 to have private access to 244 acres - which would be shared with Karl (meaning you share the land).

Turn key with 12 acres of ph ready plots.

Land in this area runs $15-20 per acre and ours is no exception (if and when you can find it, which is rare).

Barn, power and water. No gensets and no carrying water.

Hunt 15 August through 1 January.

Access every year to velvet bucks.

No hogs.

A proven, healthy and plentiful deer herd.

12 months access.

Plenty of turkeys.

Private, long term lease with great landowners.

Plenty of agricultural areas for food.

No trespass and no theft problems for 6+ years.

Some like arrangements like this. Some think that is too much $$.

I see people paying $12 acre but it comes with tons of problems:

Stolen stands
Stolen cams
Stolen feeders
Gates torn up
Trespassers
Few deer seen
Fewer deer harvested
Land sold (our land has been in the same family for 150 years for some tracts)
Lease lost to higher offers
Squabbles among members
Club cliques that develop
No "good" stands open
Over harvest of land due to low acreage per hunter

We are fortunate that we have been able to avoid these downfalls.

Deer shown below - 22" and 205 lbs - came from a peanut field on the 185.

Thanks for asking and allowing me to clarify!

Good luck!

Jim

Attached Images

Last edited by Jim Boyd; 03-16-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Default 257 lbs

Thanks Karl, for the heads up and the reply.

Karl is the one that took the 257 lb mammoth.

On this property......

Folks are most welcome to contact Karl directly.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim Boyd; 03-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Default Bow kill - 2015

This was an archery kill (crossbow) in 2016.

20 yard shot, if I recall correctly and he only went 10 yards.

Easy recovery!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Default Velvet buck

This was a typical velvet buck from the late summer of 2016. He was one of about a dozen that formed a loose bachelor group that was in and out of food plots and mowed areas (our deer like a mowed area about as much as a food plot).

We see these pretty commonly in the summer but finding them with an arrow ready for flight is harder!

(sorry for the sideways pic, my phone does that and I am an IT idiot.... comes with being 60 years old, I guess).

Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Default 2016 harvest

Walked all the way across a cotton field in broad daylight.

224 lbs - the guy had a heck of a time getting him in the truck!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Default Big bodied

This is a big, chunky looking beast from the fall of 2016.

I estimate him at 225 lbs plus (maybe more) but he was another one that we never saw while hunting.

He is likely still right there....

Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Got some studs for sure...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks Southern.

Not to brag but I can pretty much post photos til folks get tired of looking at them.

This can only happen in situations (in my humble opinion) where you have a good herd in the first place and then good trigger control on the back side.

I will add a few more.....

This is another good 2016 buck but he sure looks slender in this photo but nothing shabby about his now hard antlered rack. If I recall correctly, this was in early October.

I am not able to check cameras in late October (because I am hunting the farm) nor in November (because I am in Illinois)

Many thanks.

Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Default 2014 kill

On a property we have across the road from the 185.

Think this guy was 215 lbs.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Default 2015 kill

This one, too, was on the farm across the road.

Can't recall the weight on this one but it was less than 200 lbs - 170 to 180 I think.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Default Best pic

Think this is one of the best pics we ever got - this is a sister farm we have that is about 2 miles away.

Fairly steep ridge that is just above the river that the little 14 acre tract mentioned above sits on.

I posted this pic one time before and one of the comments was "buddy, you are fresh out of excuses"!

Attached Images

Old 03-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Nice Offering Here, I like it!!

Looks like a Great Place and Great Folks!

Someone is gonna be Shonuff Happy!!!

Although, I do know the Right Guy sometimes can be hard to find...more othen than not these days it seems! But, I also know there are many that frequent these pages!

Best of luck Jim!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanks Scott!

Appreciate the kind words.

We are in no hurry at all and will accept no member before we accept the wrong one.

We are talking to several folks and at the end of the day, what we want is to make someone delighted with their experience and their hunt.

They return year after year and everyone is happy.

Again - thanks for the comments.

Jim

Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Guys, I have been a very proud and very happy member of CMHC for the last 4 years. It is a truly remarkable place. You will not have a chance at a B&C or P&Y deer every time you sit a stand but, what you will have in a much better than average chance to see lots of healthy deer that are very under hunted. I have yet to go a season without multiple chances at mature healthy bucks and more does than I can count. One of the many great things about CMHC is the diversity of hunt choices. If you want to sit an ag field with a rifle and watch 20+ deer in an evening, then the opportunity is there. If you want to hunt an oak flat raining acorns, then the opportunity is there. If you want to hunt a creek bottom or a swamp, then the opportunity is there. No one can really guarantee that you can harvest a mature buck every year but I dare to say that your chances to do so are much better at CMHC than most places in the Southeast. However, even though the hunting is top notch, its the folks at CMHC that make it what it is. You could not ask for a better President (he hates that term) than Mr. Jim Boyd. He is one of the finest and most fair dealing men that I have ever known. There is no jealousy amongst the current 5 members. You never have to look far to get a helping hand in anything you need.
I not only consider the folks as hunting partners, I consider them friends.

Keith (2015 Doe Commander Champion) ....and don't you forget it Karl. lol
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Very, very impressive pictures Jim, you guys have built a great place there!! Like Scott said, there are plenty of really good people that frequent these pages and I'm sure you will end up with the right one!!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 PM

Thanks, Keith - your words are far too kind.

Doe Commander 2015...... true, true - but I seem to recall that while we had no contest in 2016, the largest doe in 2016 fell to someone else's arrow!!

Maybe for 2017, we create a team type, zone based contest!

Thanks David, for your kind words. We all know we are many strides behind your efforts. We only WISH we had the genetics, devotion to protein feed ($$) and acreage to control that you have. You HAVE what we aspire to BUILD.

thanks all....best of luck.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Folks - we have filled our opening for 2017 with GON member OleRod.

He is a great guy and had an excellent visit with us this weekend - and is already busy hanging stands, putting out feeders, building mineral licks, etc.

Rodney - welcome to CMHC!

Thanks to all that read and responded to the post. For those of you that were interested in joining and were waiting to determine if Rodney would become out newest member - I am sorry, but we are full for 2017....

Thanks all and best of luck this year!
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Best of luck to Jim, Karl and the club. I really enjoyed talking with you about the opening. Take care.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Thanks Jim,
I really enjoyed myself on the visit. The club and members were everything I was hoping for. You are building something very special Jim and I'm glad to be part of it. Looking forward to a great season.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM

We picked Rodney?????? But, his wife is a Georgia fan..

Joking aside, Rodney welcome to CMHC. Look forward to many nights around the fire having an adult beverage and listening to some true classic country (Great get by the way on the Roy Acuff song)
I feel that all of us at CMHC can learn a great deal from you and I know you will find Karl to be a wonderful partner. he is a stand up guy and cares deeply for the land and the quality of the deer.
Welcome, my friend.

Keith aka Doe Commander 2015 Champion
Go Vols!!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM

We picked him BECAUSE his wife is a Georgia fan!

Go Dawgs!!!!!