GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Political Forum

Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
I was sitting in a waiting room at the Kirklin Clinic at UAB, they were moving pretty slow. A guy asked the room if any of us needed anything, water or soft drink, coffee maybe. I asked him nicely to bring me a medium rare Ribeye. The room erupted in laughter. Heck, I was dead serious.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopPop View Post
I was sitting in a waiting room at the Kirklin Clinic at UAB, they were moving pretty slow. A guy asked the room if any of us needed anything, water or soft drink, coffee maybe. I asked him nicely to bring me a medium rare Ribeye. The room erupted in laughter. Heck, I was dead serious.
There is no way a medical facility would fulfill that request. I admire your sand though. You put 'em on notice.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
There is no way a medical facility would fulfill that request. I admire your sand though. You put 'em on notice.
I have some world class Drs working with me, they are often oblivious to what happens to patients outside of their direct contact with the patient. I do not hesitate to tell them when their clinics are wasting my time and what we can do to fix it.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Admin

Quote:
I have some world class Drs working with me, they are often oblivious to what happens to patients outside of their direct contact with the patient. I do not hesitate to tell them when their clinics are wasting my time and what we can do to fix it.
I'm cut from the same cloth. If you tell me my time isn't valuable by making me wait hours to see you I'm going to let you know your true value as well.

By the way, you have talked me into a ribeye tonight.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I'm cut from the same cloth. If you tell me my time isn't valuable by making me wait hours to see you I'm going to let you know your true value as well.

By the way, you have talked me into a ribeye tonight.
I been thinking surf and turf for me and Sugar Doll.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Admin

Quote:
I been thinking surf and turf for me and Sugar Doll.
Hmmmmm. Come to think of it.......
Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbzdually View Post
This patient satisfaction already drives revenue to a point now. A patient with Medicaid comes into ER with pain. ER gives little to no pain medication. Patient gives bad patient satisfaction rating, Dr. gets less money. Some patients will use this to get what they want once they figure it out, they can basically blackmail Drs. to give lot of meds, but then you've got the DEA hammering Drs. who write too much pain meds, so Drs. are in a bind.

Wife is labor and delivery nurse. They have a new policy where they are supposed to take care of the needs of the patients families also. Meaning, while they are working with patient, if the family member in there wants coffee, they are supposed to go get it for them.
not true. no licensed professional is obligated to fetch coffee for family members. they might do it because they want to be nice
Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 PM

if you guys really want a lesson on this stuff, i will educate you on it. I spent a decade implementing this system wide for a large atl hospital system. i will say this; qualty of care has improved. Still, many survey questions are written in such a way to almost ensure failure. Mostly, this is simply government intrusion to cut reimbursement to hospitals and providers. If you granny gets treated for a urinary tract infection and admitted she will be treated and discharged when her infection clears based on labs, and her doctors exam. If granny goes home and continues to wipe back to front, depositing fecal matter in her urinary tract, and fails to have good hygiene such as a daily bath, she is likely to develop another infection right away. If she gets readmitted for an infection within 30 days the hospital has to eat the cost for this next admission. people dont get pay raises, jobs get cut, cost of care increases all because the govt is ignorant and your granny is nasty.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6 View Post
if you guys really want a lesson on this stuff, i will educate you on it. I spent a decade implementing this system wide for a large atl hospital system. i will say this; qualty of care has improved. Still, many survey questions are written in such a way to almost ensure failure. Mostly, this is simply government intrusion to cut reimbursement to hospitals and providers. If you granny gets treated for a urinary tract infection and admitted she will be treated and discharged when her infection clears based on labs, and her doctors exam. If granny goes home and continues to wipe back to front, depositing fecal matter in her urinary tract, and fails to have good hygiene such as a daily bath, she is likely to develop another infection right away. If she gets readmitted for an infection within 30 days the hospital has to eat the cost for this next admission. people dont get pay raises, jobs get cut, cost of care increases all because the govt is ignorant and your granny is nasty.
Agreed, and it will absolutely drive for better healthcare. UK and Canadian healthcare is better than ours because they treat patients and not check boxes.

There is just one thing that will suffer (actually a lot), just can't put my finger on it....maybe it will come to me one day...hmmm
Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 PM

Fallacy. Asking a moron if they got good service.

Companding the fallacy. Holding those with no authority to effect changes as being responsible.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 PM

I do not think quality of service or care is our problem. Yet.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
not true. no licensed professional is obligated to fetch coffee for family members. they might do it because they want to be nice
No, it's quite true. They had a meeting and were told it is now the hospital policy. Refusal to do so will result in possible discipline if the patient or family complains, and believe me the ones on Medicaid (white trash mainly here) will complain about everything and so will their family.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:

In your situation, even if it is the patients fault they caused their further illness, do you think they will take responsibility? Of course not, it will be 'they didn't do anything for me'. I've had dozens of kidney stones over the past 20 years. I don't go to the ER until I'm vomiting from pain or I'm thinking about eating a bullet. I have noticed a little better care the last few years when I have to go. I've witnessed people who claim their pain level is a 10 when laughing and playing on their phone. Drs. pretty much know they are not really hurting that bad, but if they deny the patient meds, that patient writes a bad review. On the other hand the Dr. can get in big trouble for giving too much pain meds, so they are really caught in a catch 22.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
No, it's quite true. They had a meeting and were told it is now the hospital policy. Refusal to do so will result in possible discipline if the patient or family complains, and believe me the ones on Medicaid (white trash mainly here) will complain about everything and so will their family.
this is absolute false. no professional registered nurse will lose their job for not fetching coffee for a family member. show me a hospital that has a policy in writing stating this. i dont believe you.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
In your situation, even if it is the patients fault they caused their further illness, do you think they will take responsibility? Of course not, it will be 'they didn't do anything for me'. I've had dozens of kidney stones over the past 20 years. I don't go to the ER until I'm vomiting from pain or I'm thinking about eating a bullet. I have noticed a little better care the last few years when I have to go. I've witnessed people who claim their pain level is a 10 when laughing and playing on their phone. Drs. pretty much know they are not really hurting that bad, but if they deny the patient meds, that patient writes a bad review. On the other hand the Dr. can get in big trouble for giving too much pain meds, so they are really caught in a catch 22.
it is not the hospitals fault that people are stupid and nasty. patients get educated in the hospital and are sent home with pages of education and discharge instruction. sometimes they are followed up by home health. Still, the fat diabetic will go back to his recliner and eat ice cream. The skinny black woman with hypertension will still eat to much sodium, smoke, fail to take her meds and end back in the hospital for hypertensive crisis. Most all hospital readmissions within 30 days are totally preventable. people are nasty. talk to any home health rn. they have great stories to validate these points.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
this is absolute false. no professional registered nurse will lose their job for not fetching coffee for a family member. show me a hospital that has a policy in writing stating this. i dont believe you.
I didn't make it up and neither did she and I don't like the implication either. I'll PM you the hospital name and you can call Monday. I just talked to her and she said it not a written policy, but she was advised by overhouse of the entire department that it was part of their job for the labor and delivery part. other parts of the hospital may have different policies, but that is their's.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I do.

When Holiday Inns started their satisfaction guarantee "Everything will be right or your stay will be free" I watched people go to the dog walk next dog and pick up dog doodoo to place in their room to blame the maid for not cleaning the room correctly, and they wanted their free night.

I have seen cos expect employees to do whatever they are asked for or it's their fault and they have failed in their job no matter how ridiculous and unreasonable it may be. Management in those places don't care, as long as metrics showing satisfaction of customers is reported as positive. No it's not in writing, they don't leave themselves that exposed. In writing it will be that employee is required to meet positive customer expectations. And failure to do so can result in termination.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 AM

Like many other companies, we went off the deep end into the NPS thing a few years back. I remember sitting in two seminars and listening to speakers tell us about the value of NPS.

The first one to preach to us used Zapo's as his example and the second one used Ritz Carlton. It sounded really, really good and it seemed to work for them.

Then when we did not get the results that we ("suits") thought they were going to get, I dug a bit deeper and still to this day believe I know exactly the difference.

You see, womend sitting at home after Tennis class day drinking wine are who is using Zapos.com, not some stressed out technician with seven patients looking at her beating her down like there is no tomorrow.

Same with Ritz, people are more likely to fill out nice survey's when they are happy. At least for our industry, people really don't fill out survey's unless they are ticked off about something.

I will be honest too, when I am at the Dr., the last thing I want is an iPad stuck in my face when I am checking out. I want to get out and go about my business. But this still doesn't address the question, "do people know what they are getting into when they demand patient satisfaction over convenience"? I would suggest not and I think this is a good hint at where I was going.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM

I might need some help on my survey. I went in for a stress test with chemical and I wound up in venticular fibrilation. They stressed my heart and I didn't die,so is that a positive report on them?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 PM

Chrysler dealers get the monicker as 5 star dealers if they get enough positive surveys returned.

Sales people are instructed/required to solicit positive surveys from their customers. It's so accurate and valid.

The service department gets surveys sent out to any new car serviced.

They learned that a survey recipient was more likely to return a positive survey if they bought the car there. But people that bought from another dealer were more critical and more likely to send in complaints. So if you didn't buy there, they would attempt to steer you back to the place where you purchased the car. Good luck getting a timely service appointment.

Through several industries I have seen how front line management games the system to placate upper management who bought the consultants pushing satisfaction metrics as the latest thing.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 AM

For a number of years I worked in hospitals and one of the major problems is the fact that the patient of the new milennium does not differentiate between a hospital and the Marriott! I worked in maternity where I must say hospitals have done their share to encourage this attitude. Celebratory special meals for the new mom and dad after the delivery of their little one, afternoon tea cart with some finger foods to hold one over 'til dinner! Most hospital ( at least where I have been) have spent millions upon millions to provide their maternity patients with all the comforts of home long before these niceties get to patients elsewhere in the hospital...private rooms, private bathrooms, etc. And, by and large, these are the healthiest patients in the building! This worked on a philosophy that if the patient is happy with the experience when their child was born they will return for future medical needs. In questionnaires there is frequently reference to the "service" the patient received where in fact they should be asked about the "care" they received. In general, the sicker the patient, the more thankful they are for everything you do...Those who have moderate to minimal knowledge of medical care standards should not be those to evaluate it ...care needs to be provided based on patient need vs. demand...sorry, touchy subject for me!!!