I hate poison ivy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrendale8105

dead eye eddy got banned today after 3:45pm?

Apparantly a touchy subject. There was a thread about it but it must have been deleted. Saw where he was bragging about getting into a dove shoot then ::gone:

Back to the thread at hand luckily i'm also one of the ones that is doesnt bother and i seriously feel sorry for the ones it does. we're ate up with it around here!

joedublin

As you get older you can lose your immunity to poison oak and ivy, I know 'cause it happened to me! Even worse than that is poison SUMAC, I got into some of that a couple of years ago and it is poison ivy's big brother...REALLY BAD !!!

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
The rubbing alcohol does help, but I have gotten my doc to prescribe me ..........
Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, USP 0.5%

I keep it on hand at all times, the first "inkling" that I have gotten in some, I start applying............ so far, no major outbreaks! :cool:
(sshhh, it even helps with fever blisters!):cool:

jcountry

Here you go:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...gt5fTvb3Cefc0QHm58TxAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQ8gIwAw#

This stuff will solve any and all poison ivy problems you will ever have. I am EXTREMELY allergic to p.i., and whenever I think I might have gotten into some, (or even close to it,) I wash my arms and hands with this stuff. I always carry it around in my truck.

You can even wait until you start to break out, run into the drugstore and get some. Use it- and you will be amazed!

This stuff is awesome! Your p.i. problems will be solved. I found out about it 10 years ago, and have never had any problems (although I thought I actually had left the p.i. oil on too long a couple times.) This stuff always killed it!

*From what I understand, the inventor was trying to come up with something for the military to use washing off nerve agent. Probably works for that too, but I KNOW it is the bomb for poison ivy.

A+

bangstick

poison ivy treatment

sorry to here about your grief. I m one of those who isn't botherd by it . I will however share a treatment I have shared with others, an article from skin diver magazine. wash with soap and water asap but even if you can't get to that immediatedly, apply non scented ,wet type anti persperant. even the cheap stuff works. If you are a person who reacts badly fom this treacherous vine ,make a point to keep some in your 1st aid kit.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I've only had it once, I was tilling up a garden spot at my then new yard, vines and roots kept wrapping around the tiller tines, I just kept on pulling them off bare handed. that stuff covered me up. That was 11 years ago, I can spot it a mile away now, but it doesn't seem to bother me if I walk through it.

Crickett

Little Lady
Technu to wash your clothes w/ & yourself after immediate exposure. It can be found at most pharmacies. And then IvaRest for the itching. Those 2 work great or so says my hubby! I've NEVER had poison ivy!:p (knocking on wood)

I've been getting it regular nowadays. I suffered greatly from it in the past, but there is no quit in this guy. I figure my only hope is to get a little outbreak, get it in-check and drying out, and then keep getting it a little at a time so my immunity response can stay prepared. I'm not going to roll around in it but If I'm pulling up weeds and stuff, I know I'm going to get it.

Has anyone had or heard of poison-ivy immunity being learned by the body? Plenty of folks are reporting that they use to not be affected but now get it. What about the opposite?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've been getting it regular nowadays. I suffered greatly from it in the past, but there is no quit in this guy. I figure my only hope is to get a little outbreak, get it in-check and drying out, and then keep getting it a little at a time so my immunity response can stay prepared. I'm not going to roll around in it but If I'm pulling up weeds and stuff, I know I'm going to get it.

Has anyone had or heard of poison-ivy immunity being learned by the body? Plenty of folks are reporting that they use to not be affected but now get it. What about the opposite?

You can grow into it. You can also grow out of it.

Should be challenging then. If the symptoms don't get less-severe within a year, I'm probably just destined to be allergic for life.

westcobbdog

I know to avoid even the dead hairy vines located on pine trees, and of course the 3 or 5 green leaf poison ivy or oak. Oil can lastyar on arake or shovel,too.

Heh, I had some jeans I loved (comfy) that I pulled up some ivy in and I didn't dispose of them, but they stayed unworn for several years just to be sure the resin wasn't active.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I know to avoid even the dead hairy vines located on pine trees, and of course the 3 or 5 green leaf poison ivy or oak. Oil can lastyar on arake or shovel,too.
:smash:you can even get it if your dog/cat runs through it & then you pet them!facepalm:

jmfauver

I caught it in February...so don't get me started on this again.....:banginghe:banginghe

joedublin

That's bad stuff for sure but can anyone show some pics and help me to identify POISON SUMAC ? That stuff just tears me up and I don't know for sure how to identify it...HELP!!!

Don't know much on sumac. My and ivy are getting very aquainted these days though.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That's bad stuff for sure but can anyone show some pics and help me to identify POISON SUMAC ? That stuff just tears me up and I don't know for sure how to identify it...HELP!!!

Woody shrub or small tree. It has leaves similar to hickory with leaflets that oppose each other. It grows in wet areas and can get to the height of a small tree. Google has other pictures that will help you.
th

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Woody shrub or small tree. It has leaves similar to hickory with leaflets that oppose each other. It grows in wet areas and can get to the height of a small tree. Google has other pictures that will help you.
th
Best to look at it in all stages or you'll never know the difference!:O

hunter rich

How can you hate such a fine specimen...and a redhead at that...

Attachments

• 220px-Poison_Ivy2.jpg
    220px-Poison_Ivy2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,543

Latest posts