GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Sportsmen With Disabilities
Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM

45yrs Old...

I just posted something in the Spiritual section...I've just been diagnosed with Cervical stenosis \ cervical spondylosis last week...Arms and legs go numb , to the point of no feeling..When i do manage to get feeling , arms and hands burn , legs and feet throb and I get dizzy ..

Weird stuff...I'll have to pay attention to this thread and share as things progress...
Old 12-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Default Re:

I'm sure they can fix you up. Look up and you can read about my son, who in the midst of trying to be a decent junior golfer, had to struggle with this (at 14, BTW). We opted for surgery when every other treatment failed. So far, though his condition might be a bit different than yours, he is doing well and playing the game he loves again.

But more than golf or my son, this is about faithfulness, that is, the faithfulness of God the help us through the obstacles. I think if you take your condition on with that thought in mind, you might just come out better than before!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 PM

"But more than golf or my son, this is about faithfulness, that is, the faithfulness of God the help us through the obstacles. I think if you take your condition on with that thought in mind, you might just come out better than before!!! "
I am dealing with this and it does get a body down. Already have had one surgery with no relief. Got more test coming up to see if anything else is going on . I have all the pain you have described and medications offer no relief for the pain but the post above is the greatest hope any of us can hope for and be thankful for.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee charlie View Post
I don't want to start any trouble nor do I want anyone to dislike me for what I am about to say. Each of us is different and have a different level of pain tollerance. I am a surviver of 5 lower back, a thorasic acrea and two neck operations due to a spine that is deterioating rapidly. I am now confined to wheelchair. Over the years I have been a skeet,trap and sporting clay champion. I have tried my hand at steel challenge, cowboy action shooting and at the present I am a competitor in long range silhouette with 22's, 17 cal. and 22 mag. I am not telling you all this as a brag. What I have to say will probably make a few people uncomfortable but as I said before, each of us has our own level of tollerance. I have been in constant and severe pain since I was 37. I am now 74 and because I love to shoot so much, I have avoided any painkiller stronger than tramadol and neurontin. If I was to start taking anything stronger I would disqualify myself. It would also destroy my game and would cause a downward spiral in my scores. Not only that, I would be asked to stop shooting. Won't happen because shooting is too much a part of my being. FYI my first surgery was a neurosurgeon and because of an orthopedic surgeon I was almost an invalid. He could not read x-rays nor could he understand a myelogram. I tried for a year to explain to him that I was not an insurance case nor was I trying to sue anyone. I just wanted out of pain. Back operations are at best temporary relief. If you have one you will have another. I have rods and screws in my neck and lower back. My spinal canal in my neck is closed 85%. I am still in constant and severe pain. Just a word of advice to anyone who wants to shoot and takes the heavy pain killers-----don't do it. The safety of others is more important than exercising your right to shoot. If anyone takes drugs they should never put a gun in their hands.
Charlie I agree with most of what you said but the last sentence is opinion and should have been stated as such. I have severe back problems, chronic pain and take a minimal amount of pain medicine and it does not affect my shooting or hunting. The reason I know it is minimal is it is the smallest dose available and it only dulls the pain enough so I can sleep. I don't take it in daytime (unless pain is so severe I can't tolerate it)as again that is my choice as I could but choose to suffer rather than take anymore drugs than I feel I need to. The dosage I am on is small enough I can function fine and that is from being observed by someone else, not my opinion. Now if I took more i would not dare touch a firearm, so I think it is dependent on your level of medication and reaction to the medication not a blanket statement if you take drugs at all.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Default Pain and Drugs

To: hpurvis
You are 100% correct. I should have stated that it was only my opinion. It is a shame we have to live like this but our trust in God will get us through this somehow. I sure hope everybody on this forum post will get better. It is the season to be thankful and jolly. I hope you will be.
Merry Christmas
CC
Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Retired Moderator

I am fortunate that I dont have to take the hydrocodone stuff on a daily basis. I do take gabapentin and diclofenac daily.

IMO driving a vehicle is much more serious than firing a gun if someone feels they are influenced by a strong pain med.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trad bow View Post
"But more than golf or my son, this is about faithfulness, that is, the faithfulness of God the help us through the obstacles. I think if you take your condition on with that thought in mind, you might just come out better than before!!! "
I am dealing with this and it does get a body down. Already have had one surgery with no relief. Got more test coming up to see if anything else is going on . I have all the pain you have described and medications offer no relief for the pain but the post above is the greatest hope any of us can hope for and be thankful for.
You have been on my mind Jeff. Prying for you brother.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Thanks Jeff. I can drive short distance so maybe I can come see everyone sometime after the first of the year. NGT may be to far, as is SGTP right now to drive for me.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM

I have cervical spondylosis in my neck which causes my left arm to rotate between extreme pain, numbness, and weakness. Right now it is hard for to even type with my left hand. However here lately my lower back pain has been overriding my arm, shoulder and neck pain. The pain starts about even with my hips and goes down all the way to the tailbone. I routinely have kidney stones, so I have been thinking it may be a stone starting, but the pain doesn't localize to one side or the other. My left leg has also been going numb at times when I sit stand, lay down. Could stenosis be a possibility for me?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbzdually View Post
I have cervical spondylosis in my neck which causes my left arm to rotate between extreme pain, numbness, and weakness. Right now it is hard for to even type with my left hand. However here lately my lower back pain has been overriding my arm, shoulder and neck pain. The pain starts about even with my hips and goes down all the way to the tailbone. I routinely have kidney stones, so I have been thinking it may be a stone starting, but the pain doesn't localize to one side or the other. My left leg has also been going numb at times when I sit stand, lay down. Could stenosis be a possibility for me?
Sure could be. It sounds like you have something going on with your nerves. Go to an orthopedic or neurological doctor and get them to check for you.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:49 PM

I had surgery on March 9 for stenosis on L 3,4,5 I have been dealing with it for many yrs. and didn't know what it was until about 2 yrs. ago when pain got so bad that I had to see a Dr. Went to a orthopedic and she said we should try therapy first. She said it was stenosis after xrays and a scan. I went to therapy and before I even left I could feel a difference. After several therapy the pain was gone and I was doing great. Then the pain started to gradually come back and in oct. it started to get really bad and I figured I would just go back to therapy. They said I had to see Dr. again before therapy and did that and went back to therapy and it didn't help this time. So I went back to Dr. and I said I didn't want shots if it was just going to be temporary and have to face it all again. I wanted to get it over and behind me. I am 66 yrs. old and want to finish the rest of my yrs. without dealing with stenosis.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbuster View Post
I had surgery on March 9 for stenosis on L 3,4,5 I have been dealing with it for many yrs. and didn't know what it was until about 2 yrs. ago when pain got so bad that I had to see a Dr. Went to a orthopedic and she said we should try therapy first. She said it was stenosis after xrays and a scan. I went to therapy and before I even left I could feel a difference. After several therapy the pain was gone and I was doing great. Then the pain started to gradually come back and in oct. it started to get really bad and I figured I would just go back to therapy. They said I had to see Dr. again before therapy and did that and went back to therapy and it didn't help this time. So I went back to Dr. and I said I didn't want shots if it was just going to be temporary and have to face it all again. I wanted to get it over and behind me. I am 66 yrs. old and want to finish the rest of my yrs. without dealing with stenosis.
So it has only been a week, can you tell yet if it helped?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM

Spinal stenosis, two bulging disc, pars defect, and a bone spur that catches on my spinal cord and thanks to helichrysum and frankincense I'm off my nsaids and feeling pretty good.

Last edited by K80; 03-16-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Default me too

arthritis & spinal stenosis that flared up 2005 and sent me to the floor.
The docs had a protocol that I had to follow. I refused to get the shots.
PT and meds for two years including diclofenac, gabapentin, and it only got worse.
But changed from orthopedic Dr to neuro surgeon and he ended up operating on l3,l4,l5, and S1 in 2007.
He called it a hemilaminectomy, which meant he cleared out the nerve passageways on the center/side of my spine that were pinched the most.
He said I was a candidate for that, while some are not.
Everybody is different, but find the best neuro surgon for, at least, a second opinion, glad I did.
When I woke up from surgery, I felt like a new man, like a pain switch had been turned off.
... rule #9 ...
Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 PM

I can tell a difference, no pain in legs as of now. First thing I noticed was the numbness on bottom of right foot was gone. I had a partial lung collapse but that is getting better. Constipation aftere was a problem. I have to wear a bracce for a while I think this surgery will help. Will be any to know more in a few weeks.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbuster View Post
I can tell a difference, no pain in legs as of now. First thing I noticed was the numbness on bottom of right foot was gone. I had a partial lung collapse but that is getting better. Constipation aftere was a problem. I have to wear a bracce for a while I think this surgery will help. Will be any to know more in a few weeks.
Sounds like some progress already there. Hope things keep getting better.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Default Spinal Stenosis C3,4&5

At age 54 in April of 2007 I started having pain in my right forearm. I assumed I had pulled a muscle or something working in the yard. Pain kept getting worse, finally talked with my general practice doc, he prescribed some oral steroid tablets, the pain went away. Two days after stopping the RX, the pain was back. We did an mri and found stenosis in C 3,4&5. I didn't want to talk to anyone about surgery on my neck, afraid of being paralyzed or worse. Pain kept getting worse in my forearm and then my hand started going numb. Is August my left forearm started hurting. The first neuro surgeon I went to said he had to remove the bone spurs and arthritis. Clean up the bulging discs then fuse everything in place with hardware. I decided to get a second opinion. The second neuro surgeon said he could fix it without fusion. He went in through the back of my neck, cut through each vertebrae and inserted a spacer thus making the opening larger for my spinal cord to pass through. The surgery was a success but I still have nerve damage and have to take large amounts of Neurontin daily. Two years later I had to have L3&4 fused, now I am suffering with pain coming from L2 and L5. April of 2016 I had a spinal stimulator implanted to reduce the pain in my lower back.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm0353 View Post
At age 54 in April of 2007 I started having pain in my right forearm. I assumed I had pulled a muscle or something working in the yard. Pain kept getting worse, finally talked with my general practice doc, he prescribed some oral steroid tablets, the pain went away. Two days after stopping the RX, the pain was back. We did an mri and found stenosis in C 3,4&5. I didn't want to talk to anyone about surgery on my neck, afraid of being paralyzed or worse. Pain kept getting worse in my forearm and then my hand started going numb. Is August my left forearm started hurting. The first neuro surgeon I went to said he had to remove the bone spurs and arthritis. Clean up the bulging discs then fuse everything in place with hardware. I decided to get a second opinion. The second neuro surgeon said he could fix it without fusion. He went in through the back of my neck, cut through each vertebrae and inserted a spacer thus making the opening larger for my spinal cord to pass through. The surgery was a success but I still have nerve damage and have to take large amounts of Neurontin daily. Two years later I had to have L3&4 fused, now I am suffering with pain coming from L2 and L5. April of 2016 I had a spinal stimulator implanted to reduce the pain in my lower back.
Sounds like you have really had a hard time, people don't realize how fortunate they are to not be in constant pain. My pain is 95% gone now. I am limited in what I can do such as lifting and bending.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Default re:

You can read the posts about my son in Post #16 and #27 if you like.

This stenosis stuff doesn't seem to want to quit. After his 1st surgery everything was fine for awhile. He is even down to a 17 handicap in golf. But it has come back with a vengeance and not only did he have to stop playing golf but we are looking at another surgery soon. The good news is there is nothing to fuse (C4 to C7 already are fused) but they have to make room for the spinal cord by something called a laminectomy, which sounds similar to what jdmo353 went through. Really though, since my son is only 15, I wish they could just put a titanium spine in so we won't have to keep doing this over and over. Unfortunately there is no such thing yet!

jdmo353, I wish you only the best of outcomes in your situation. This stuff can be debilitating sometimes but keep on fighting!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:56 PM

My mother just had this surgery. Her problem area was up towards her neck. She didn't have that much back pain but has been suffering from headaches, dizziness, feeling of constant sinus drainage...She had every test done imaginable for these symptoms and finally one doctor seen the growth on her spine. They hadn't been looking much in that area since most of her complaining was more about the headaches and such. She has really looked drained and not feeling like doing anything for the past year due to this ailment and that's not like her. She is very active. She just had this done Wednesday so I hope it relieves her symptoms. It had compressed her spine down to about the size of a quarter. They had to go through her throat for the surgery.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Hope this helps your Mom, let us know if she can tell a difference.