Stressed buck still holding antlers

Loorawls

I pulled my card today and could not believe that this buck was the only one on the property that has not shed. I know that it is not unheard of to have antlers this late but most bucks here have shed by mid-March. I have always heard though that if a buck is stressed it is more likely to shed early. This guy lost his left eye sometime in October or November. It looks like the injury coupled with a harsh winter took its toll on him. I'm sure he'll be fine but he got a pass this year in hopes of him developing a little more into one of this season's top targets. I wonder if his current condition and the fact that he hasn't shed yet will set him back a little.

Attachments

• PRMS0151.jpg
    PRMS0151.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 2,989
  • PRMS0004.jpg
    PRMS0004.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2,988
  • PRMS0102.jpg
    PRMS0102.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,986
  • PRMS0602.jpg
    PRMS0602.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,992
  • PRMS0119.jpg
    PRMS0119.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 2,988

1gr8bldr

He may not make it.

Todd E

Though he lost an eye, he doesn't look stressed at all to me. The deer will be fine. Hair looks rough cause deer are getting ready to dump the winter coat. I've seen some still packing. That buck is fine.

1gr8bldr

Though he lost an eye, he doesn't look stressed at all to me. The deer will be fine. Hair looks rough cause deer are getting ready to dump the winter coat. I've seen some still packing. That buck is fine.
He looks very poor to me, and the coyotes get the weak ones

GA DAWG

Dont look bad to me either.

Loorawls

I agree that the buck is ok. I have a number of close up pics from April 1. He has lost a good bit of weight and is in slightly poorer condition than the rest of the herd. I'm sure he'll recover rapidly with the green up. The OP was that his health and shedding is a little behind and will this hurt his development this spring and summer. He made a huge gain last year as he was a tiny but perfect basket 8 pointer the season before last.

Todd E

It will not effect next year's growth nor will create deformities.

Drought will stunt growth.

dtala

there is nothing wrong with that deer cept the eye and messed up hair. POOR deer show ribs and hip bones, he is showing nothing but fat in those spots. He'll be fine.

RedHeader

yeah, hes defiantly blind in one eye. In the second to the last photo his eye is not reflecting like the other eye or earlier photos. He'll be fine, dtala is right, still has plenty of fat on him. He'll perk up.

Loorawls

Haven't had any pics from him, but he did leave me a lil something!

Attachments

• 20140415_123322_zpsrox2hjfu.jpg
    20140415_123322_zpsrox2hjfu.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 1,204

ted_BSR

Kept that antler a little longer to protect his weak side. Like a face mask to a running back. He'll be back.