Proper shooting rail height?

weathermantrey

Looking for the right height for a shooting rail on a tower stand... I'm 6' 2" but my wife is only 5' 3".

Here's a picture of my progress so far... 25' from the floor to the ground:cool:

Attachments

• towerstand.jpg
    towerstand.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 13,939

Meriwether Mike

I would try between 34 and 36 inches. Thats quite a deer stand. You will need a light for low flying aircraft.

CamoCop

with a stand like that, i'd spend more time trying to figure out where to put the micro fridge, toilet and air conditioner!

nice stand!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
with a stand like that, i'd spend more time trying to figure out where to put the micro fridge, toilet and air conditioner!

nice stand!

Stand? That's a planned unit development!:rofl:

36" would be my guess as well, but it would depend on how tall the chair is you are sitting in.

Are you going to put a second platform lower down? It looks like you could accomodate one.

XJfire75

Id get you a short chair to sit in and her a taller one maybe a plastic lawn chair for her.

Just as long as you can slouch down to be able to use the shooting rail and where she can sit up and use it too. Or put 2 sides one height and 2 higher. That way if they come out on your side youre comfortable and if they come out on her side she is too.

dfhooked

just get adjustable air ride office chairs and you should be fine, but remember that at 30' up you are gonna have some serious downward angled shots so your chair might need to be higher than you think. BE careful building that thing

miles58

Banned yankee
I build my boxes with four foot side walls and use a 30 inch bar stool for a chair. That's just the right height to drape your arms over a six inch wide shooting rail to make you nice and comfy for a proper nap.

TDBone

Watch out for those power lines.

Nice stand!

bsanders

I don't know how close you really are from those transmission lines and i don't know the voltage, but i will tell you this. If you ever hunt that stand when it is a foggy day or the humidity is very high, like right before a good rain.......you tell me what happens. You might get a real "tingling sensation" from hunting.

TigerGalLE

I don't know how close you really are from those transmission lines and i don't know the voltage, but i will tell you this. If you ever hunt that stand when it is a foggy day or the humidity is very high, like right before a good rain.......you tell me what happens. You might get a real "tingling sensation" from hunting.

The powerlines aren't really close to the stand at all. The picture just makes it look that way.

ellaville hunter

but is the stand under the lines.lets just say you are in the stand a tree falls on the line a span from ya the line falls on you and stand guess what no more deer for you.the very lest the voltage would be is 46 kv. but by looking at the towers it is more maybe 115kv

JohnBenoit09

30 inches is what id say. looking good man! how are you gunna get up there? a ladder? just by the picture, I could be wrong but, WEAR SAFETY HARNESS. im assuming your not but I think I see it. Just a reminder man!

JUSTIN37HUNT

Make the rails the height that works best for her. Then put screws in the window frames at the height that is best for you...so when you are sitting there you can throw a broom stick across the screws and have a perfect height shooting rail.