muscadine vine sap

deersled

been reading up on wild edibles and such. I cut down a big muscadine vine about 2 weeks ago and noticed the large amount of liquid dripping from the cut (it is still dripping!). I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not you could drink that liquid in a survival situation?

deersled

oh yeah, its a muscadine. big around as your wrist. wife got carried away with the limb saw the other day. haven't looked real close at the liquid, but it appears to be clear. looks like water.

Are you sure it is a muscadine vine? Other vines drip too,what color is the liquid?

Muscadine vines are well known for "bleeding". If you prune them this time of year, you will witness it big time.

In a survival situation, there's a lot of things you could drink -- I doubt the muscadine sap would hurt.

Redbow

I have known some Grape vines to die from pruning them this time of year. They actually bled to death.

deersled

Alright then, I'll tell my wife SHE can drink it up!:biggrin2:

Nytrobud1

I have known some Grape vines to die from pruning them this time of year. They actually bled to death.

My wife got hold of my loppers Saturday,and made a mess of some untended, probably 80 year old grape vines here at the house.Is there any way to stop them from dripping?I've tried dipping the ends in wax.Wiped them with a melting paint brush,Even tried to burn the ends to cortirize them.the just keep ona dripping.I'd hate for them to die