Another how big is this bear I video’d??

twincedargap

So I passed this one up thing he was maybe 175#, but then I noticed how big he belly looked. Was I wrong, how much you guess he weighs?

He has a decent belly....

Here’s the video...

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'd say you were about right. It sure is hard to judge them ain't it?

twincedargap

I'd say you were about right. It sure is hard to judge them ain't it?

Yes I’ve seen ten this year and other than one, they all looked much smaller than I had expected. Maybe I’m used to tall deer. And I’m hunting from a climber which makes them perhaps shorter and smaller looking too.

jbogg

I am terrible at judging bears, but I think your close on the weight. The straight on view as he was approaching you shows he's got some size through his neck and shoulders. Like you said, he has a belly on him as well. That's what a month straight of acorns on the menu will do. I was hunting at around 3400' Friday evening and the acorns were still dropping like crazy every few minutes. Reds and Whites!

twincedargap

I am terrible at judging bears, but I think your close on the weight. The straight on view as he was approaching you shows he's got some size through his neck and shoulders. Like you said, he has a belly on him as well. That's what a month straight of acorns on the menu will do. I was hunting at around 3400' Friday evening and the acorns were still dropping like crazy every few minutes. Reds and Whites!

This was about 3150’. Saw three bears in a day and a half working the same tree. I shot at and clean missed a good size one, I figure 250+. I’ll be buying a scope for my muzzle loader. He winded me at 75 yards, came a little closer to 60 yds and stood up sniffing the air, then dropped & turned to run. I thought I had a good bead, but guess I missed him clean. Searched two days. No blood. No bear.

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I watched one about this size climbing down out of the top of a massive red oak this morning. Acorn crop is spottier than I thought.

Killinstuff

That bear is hardly over 100#'s. I've helped pull 100's of bears out of the woods and most folks bigeye bears like Roland Martin does a 3 pounders saying "that's a giant 5 pound bass".

The only true way to judge a bear is how is it going to square. Heads are genetic. Some areas just have big headed bears. Other places have big bears with not so big a head. Weigh most times than not just means a fat fall bear. Not unlike a fat lazy person who has a lot of food handy . But a huge guy doesn't have to be a fat guy and most times ain't. Bears are the same way.

jbogg

That bear is hardly over 100#'s. I've helped pull 100's of bears out of the woods and most folks bigeye bears like Roland Martin does a 3 pounders saying "that's a giant 5 pound bass".

The only true way to judge a bear is how is it going to square. Heads are genetic. Some areas just have big headed bears. Other places have big bears with not so big a head. Weigh most times than not just means a fat fall bear. Not unlike a fat lazy person who has a lot of food handy . But a huge guy doesn't have to be a fat guy and most times ain't. Bears are the same way.

I would have guessed way over 100 lbs, but I don't have much experience with bears yet. I passed up several this year that were borderline. Definitely do not want to end up paying a fine for an undersized bear.

twincedargap

I would have guessed way over 100 lbs, but I don't have much experience with bears yet. I passed up several this year that were borderline. Definitely do not want to end up paying a fine for an undersized bear.

It was a lot bigger than the one I already shot this year @ ~140#'s , so 100#'s is too light for sure. The 140# had no belly whatsoever and this one def has a pot belly. I"m not saying he's a monster, but def ez over 100#.

CornStalker

It's much more fun to guess at bears' weights than to actually put them on a scale. I'll take 159-1/2 lbs. :)

Fantastic video, by the way!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
That's perfect dragging size though. 150-175ish