How far will a coyote come to a call, assuming they can hear it

Buford_Dawg

I was deer hunting back in late December and my neighbor was running a electronic call about 200 yards across my property line. I was about 100 yards on my side. I could easily hear his call sequence and increasing / decreasing the volume. It made me wonder how far a coyote or other varmit could hear the call as it was plan as day to me at 300 yards. And say if they heard it from 500 or 600 yards would they bother to go to it. Thoughts?

zedex

Gator Bait
there are vids on youtube where they will travel 6-700 yards. As long as it sounds like there is something to eat and it is heard, they will travel.

When I was in Alberta, we would sit on the front porch and make crying sounds like a human baby. They would come right to the porch sometimes. They never walked away. Not sure if time lapse was due to distance or shyness but it would take some about 30 minutes to come in.

JohnK

My limited experience is that on Georgia pulp wood land they need a path to really come. Set up on a series of deer trails or old logging trails, a hardwood drainage...some type of easy access. They can hear that call from a ridiculous distance but still need the easy route to come.

drawedback

I think it has a lot to do with terrain. In flat cutovers they may travel a great distance, but if they run in to a big open field, or a ditch,creek, or river they won't cross. Try to go into your setup with the same mind you would in a turkey hunting situation. Thats why its a good idea to do some scouting and locating before you actually try to hunt.

turkeyhuntinfool

They will come from as far as they can hear it. They will cross open fields and ditches but I have not had one cross a river. Usually work their way down wind before getting to the call. Sometimes easy to call but most times not! Intelligent animal , much tougher to call than a turkey because they can smell. If a turkey could smell you would never kill one ! Good luck hunting ‘