Cannon's Point Kayak Launch - SSI?

ssramage

Has anyone on here ever used the kayak launch at Cannon's Point on St. Simons? I live on SSI and had not heard of this until the other day. Looks like a great option to get to a different area of Village Creek.

The SSI Land Trust also has plans to put in a kayak/small boat launch at Musgrove Plantation which offers access to another different area of Village Creek.

Bream Pole

That creek empties into Hampton river at a point that is some distance from the mouth Village Creek. Not something can't do but would have some paddling to get to the mouth of Village. Water can be rough and can incur wake from Large boats in Hampton and the creek in the area of the mouth. I visited Canon Point a year or so ago and there was no specific Kayak Launch at that time. You had to park and take your kayak down an aluminum ramp to a floating aluminum dock and put in water there off the dock. The caretaker said people did it. May have added something since I was there. When it was a Public Hoist area I frequented it all the time to launch into Hampton my boat which was a 17' v-bottom with a 125. And also with Dad when I was a kid. I love the creek and area, but not sure I would use as a means to get into village creek. Additionally there are only certain hours when it is open. I would drive over there and check it out if I were you--ramp and hours and days open. Would not be a waste of time as it is a beautiful area. I hiked when I was there.

Musgrove Plantation is very interesting. Hope they do that. But if like Canon Point which has hours of operation that are set more for land touring and not really conducive to fishing at Canon point that will be a disappointment.