Questions on re-decking my deck

j_seph

This deck was built probably 15 to 20 years ago. The deck boards have went about as long as they can. So far my joist seem to be in good shape. What I found is when my wife ex-husband built it I do not think he did the ledger board correctly. We are still looking for a vinyl guy to re-vinyl the house. Wondering what I can do with this deck. Do I need to have the ledger board removed so that the vinyl siding can be added? Is there someway I can put flashing in between the ledger and the house? Can I go ahead and re-deck it and not have to worry about that piece of siding that the ledger board is bolted through? Kind of at a loss as to what I should do. Don't want to re-deck and then have to tear deck off to add the siding.

Attachments

• 20180305_181644.jpg
    20180305_181644.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 20180305_181655.jpg
    20180305_181655.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 226

bany

I would tell you definitely remove it. The vinyl may have saved the interior from damage and you need to flash the wall behind the vinyl and over the ledger. You should be able to cut off the vinyl so it over laps the flashing till you have it sided

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That frame work is as old as the decking. If you really feel the deck has been there 15-20 years you may want to consider replacing it as well.

JackSprat

That frame work is as old as the decking. If you really feel the deck has been there 15-20 years you may want to consider replacing it as well.

That may have implications. Check with local permitting. Replacing decking is a repair, no permit. Replacing framework and decking is new construction -permit required.

j_seph

These are joist I uncovered, for the most part the last 15-20 years they have been covered (protected) by the decking. You can see the state of the decking in the photo.

Attachments

• received_10211203200382395.jpg
    received_10211203200382395.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 142

Jim Baker

Staff member
I would remove the deck boards. Come out from the wall 6 inches put a post a post down every 4 ft. ( or where the joists fell). Then on the deck side of each post run a temp seal under the joists attaching to the posts to hold joists level. Run a chalk line over the joist. Mark each joist with a square. Then cut the joists with a sawzall on the house side of the new post. Then remove the ledger board and redo the siding. Then bolt a new seal to the house side of the new posts. Re attach the joists to the new seal using joist brackets. Remove the temp seal. Then re-deck running the new deck boards over the new seal leaving about a 1" gap between the deck boards and the siding on the house. Making the deck free standing. Best if you have a fall from house to deck on the deck boards. 1/4" in 12' just to drain away from house.

I have done this. Not sure it meets any codes but it works and gets water off the house framing.