Bad Check Actions

660griz

I had a business write me a bad check for overpayment...twice.
I was going to small claims but, even with a judgment for me, it would still be up to me to collect.
Anyone ever dealt with this situation before? I am just not sure the best way to continue.
The amount of the check was around $2300.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
IIRC, that is felony land amounts. I would contact the sheriff in the county they reside, and ask about it. Sometimes a deputy showing up will make cash suddenly appear.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you get a judgement, you can shut down the banking account for 30 days. All you have to do is go to the bank, show them the judgement, and the bank will confiscate all the funds deposited into that account for 30 days. At the end of 30 days they will pay you the amount of the judgement or the amount they collected,if it is less.

Yep, I had that happen to me once. Shut down a 300 employee businesses payroll account. They owed me over 7k, and I caught over 80k in the payroll account. When the employees checks started bouncing, the company had to go get cash, set up a table, and pay the employee cash for the returned checks.

Nope, they aren't in business any more.

660griz

Thank NE GA Pappy. I contacted the district attorney, they told me to call the Sheriff. A deputy is going to call me back. May have to contact the magistrate.

greg_n_clayton

IIRC, that is felony land amounts. I would contact the sheriff in the county they reside, and ask about it. Sometimes a deputy showing up will make cash suddenly appear.
Exactly what I was fixing to say. That amount falls under criminal offense.

Nugefan

I got a judgement for court against a renter for over 7 K did not know I could freeze bank assets .....interesting ....

GoldDot40

I had a business write me a bad check for overpayment...twice.
I was going to small claims but, even with a judgment for me, it would still be up to me to collect.
Anyone ever dealt with this situation before? I am just not sure the best way to continue.
The amount of the check was around $2300.

Have you talked to the owner of the business yet? What did they have to say?

rospaw

Overpayment .... That is a new one on me. Someone over paid you?

edit: Over a payment???

Last edited:

Grub Master

You can garnishee a personal checking account but it's not as easy as attaching their wages. Check with the magistrate office where you got the judgment and they will advise you.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Overpayment .... That is a new one on me. Someone over paid you?

edit: Over a payment???

I took that to mean that he overpaid them, and they won't give him his money back. Or at least a good check for the money due him.

660griz

This as a business account. I overpaid them so they sent me a refund check.
Called the magistrate. I have to send them a certified letter. Once that letter is received, they have 10 days to make good on the check. If not, I drive down there and sign a warrant.

And yes, I have been in contact with the owner numerous times, with the same response, the check will be mailed out this week. Since December.