Preachers and money

The preacher who came before Christ lived off locust and honey and the one who came after Christ supported himself so he could be blameless. What about preachers today with large congregations that live well and are paid above the national average House hold income?

matt79brown

''You'll know them by their fruits.'' Careful, it's not a very popular thing to point this out in today's religious world. A lot of preachers will be hating on you.

hobbs27

"Christianity is big business " An actual quote from a pastor to me when I was a young man. He was right.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As in any other business/organization/activity, there are good ones and bad ones. There are preachers who are in it solely for the money and take a lot from gullible folks; but there are also those who are in it because of their convictions and make little or nothing off of it, or spend a lot of their own money on it. I respect the latter, and despise the former.

groundhawg

The preacher who came before Christ lived off locust and honey and the one who came after Christ supported himself so he could be blameless. What about preachers today with large congregations that live well and are paid above the national average House hold income?

What about them? If they are good pastors, do God's works, and have a large church/congregation they should be paid well.

GeorgiaBob

While Jesus lived, Priests in the Temple lived comfortable lives with far above average incomes. We tend to lump all of those Priests into a single group of "evil" self serving men who wanted the Savior crucified, but the Bible says differently. Many of the leading "good guy" New Testament figures were "salaried pastors" with comparably high incomes. They were witnesses to the divine pregnancy of Mary, and they were there to provide a resting place for the crucified body of the Lord.

It is not the compensation, but the ministry, that is important.

Israel

BANNED
The disciple's relationship to money is tested. We already know the world's...it's that from which we are being delivered.

1gr8bldr

Billy Graham is worth 25 million, about 7th in line to some worth 5x that. I find it interesting that the Seraphium, in all their glory, covered themselves, in humility, in front of God. Prophets of God went around in sackcloth. An intentional effort to not be admired but just the opposite, to keep oneself humble, because no one is admiring them. Intentionally wearing this sackcloth

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

What about preachers today with large congregations that live well and are paid above the national average House hold income?

For every preacher out there living "above" I'm willing to bet there are 10 living below it. Additionally many living "above" work a regular job and preach on the side.
You got something against them too?

And what about those living above. What exactly is wrong with that. Do you hold all people who live "above"
in contempt, because if you don't, if it's just the preachers that you feel this way about......well that's hypocrisy. Kinda pot calling kettle black huh?

Promise you Brother, if you give your life to Christ we won't hold you to the locust and honey diet. You can be just like the rest of us hypocrites and eat whatever your food stamps will buy.

matt79brown

''You'll know them by their fruits.'' If there always preachin' on/beggin' for $ then it's easy to see what there after. Contentment is something all believers should be in pursuit of, weather we're rich or poor. If they are preachin' Jesus Christ and Him crucified they got my support. If they wanna preach profit and grow ''their'' ministry then they just need to get a job!!!

j_seph

Our Pastor makes enough off his pay to take care of his gas, an oil change, and maybe a nice out to eat dinner with his wife. He was offered once to "Apply" for a pastors position that would pay big money. He laughed and said if the Lord has not led him there he sure was not going to "Apply" for a position. He works for God and he goes to where God sends him.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I attend a church of about 2300 members. We pay our pastor pretty well, but we have offered more, and he refuses it. He says to send it to missions, use it for the youth groups, buy food to feed the hungry, or anything else needed.

He also oversees 2 satellite campuses. One is just started in Madison Georgia, the other in Dahlonega. Dahlonega runs around 250 to 300 on Sundays.

I would say he probably deserves to make more than the average of his congregation. He is carrying a bigger load that Pappy could handle, I guarantee

Mexican Squealer

Pastor should be humble and have enough money to have his needs met....but not drive a fancy vehicle or live in a mansion. Those that do have 0 credibility, in my opinion. All the "prosperity" clowns are just that, clowns.

j_seph

I would say he probably deserves to make more than the average of his congregation. He is carrying a bigger load that Pappy could handle, I guarantee
Why does he deserve to make more than the average of his congregation? In God's eyes he is no less nor no greater than you, me, or anyone else. God is no respecter of person. You preach/pastor because God called you to do so. God gave the burden, if God did not give the pastor the burden then he should not be standing behind the book board. It is not a position to be working for "money", that should be at the bottom of the list.

Buck Dropper

I can't find anywhere in my Bible where God is opposed to blessing those who give their life for His kingdom. It is not my place to judge another man, regardless of his position or title. If a man's heart is in the right place, I have no issue with him being blessed, having a nice home or car, etc. The Lord said that those who honor Him, He will honor.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Why does he deserve to make more than the average of his congregation? In God's eyes he is no less nor no greater than you, me, or anyone else. God is no respecter of person. You preach/pastor because God called you to do so. God gave the burden, if God did not give the pastor the burden then he should not be standing behind the book board. It is not a position to be working for "money", that should be at the bottom of the list.

I can assure you he isn't there for the money. The reason he deserves more than the average of his congregation is he has much, much more responsibilities than the average joe. Just like a supervisor makes more than a line worker, and a CEO, COO, CFO makes more than a supervisor. This man has a staff of over 30 people under him to supervise, a school with over 150 kids that is his ultimate responsibility and 2300 people who expect the pastor to be available when they have a crisis.

I guess the the old saying about pastors is right.

God will keep the humble, and the deacons will keep the broke.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
A lot of people have envy of anyone doing well in life. I wish I could write a check and really bless the pastoral staff at my church. It doesn't matter to me if they are driving a 1995 Chevy with 300K miles on it, or a brand new Mercedes Benz. My job is not to keep them in line. My job is to be obedient and do God's calling in my life.

If people would do what they know to do, rather than looking around and judging how other people are doing their jobs, we would have a much happier world.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It of little concern to me what manner of income a pastor has.

I do find it amusing that Baptist ministers are rarely feel called to pastor a church where the income is less than their current position. I am sure it happens, but not often enough for me to have knowledge of it.

Israel

BANNED
I am sometimes convinced the measure to which we are concerned with the income of others is in precise measure to which we are concerned with our own.

The world always speaks to us in manner of a closed system. There is always a fixed amount of honor, attention, affection, happiness, peace...and whatever is passing for money at the time. Thence, we are tricked into competition.

But..."I (we) saw the Heavens opened".

Last edited:

EverGreen1231

1.) Preaching is a profession just like my being an engineer is my profession. They should get paid whatever the market allows, just as in my case.

2.) Preaching is a scholarly pursuit. I think it's right to say scholars should be paid such that they did not have to concern themselves with "money." I see no problem with making sure your preacher can focus on his scholarship. It will be to the congregation's benefit.

The Lord gives and takes. It is not my money nor my place to decide who "deserves" it and how much of it they "need."

Latest posts