Tax Services....DIY

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So I have been using a tax service for the last 15+ years and have been happy. I have no complaints, but my taxes are not as complicated as years past and I dont want to spend the $200 to get it done this year. Should be simple tax forms from employers and one 1099 that should have its own line somehwere.
Anyone have a recommendation? Turbotax ads on TV say its free. Thanks
B

Dr. Strangelove

I use the H&R Block website, and have used the TurboTax website in the past. Both are good sites. I happen to prefer the H&R block website, no real reason.

I did taxes for a season with Jackson Hewitt and both the H&R Block website and the TurboTax are essentially the same program that we used there. It's very simple, just follow along and answer all the questions the questions the websites ask. There is no reason to pay someone to do simple taxes.

If you make less than 60K a year, the H&R block website allows you to do Federal and State taxes and E-File both for free. You have to go through the IRS website to do this, though.

GoldDot40

H&R Block here too. Sister-in-law decided to have hers done at one of their locations...paid over $250. She brought her stuff to me and I plugged in all her information without submitting it. Came up with the exact same refund amount.

Oldstick

So I have been using a tax service for the last 15+ years and have been happy. I have no complaints, but my taxes are not as complicated as years past and I dont want to spend the $200 to get it done this year. Should be simple tax forms from employers and one 1099 that should have its own line somehwere.
Anyone have a recommendation? Turbotax ads on TV say its free. Thanks
B

If it were me, assuming just simple W2 and 1099 forms without other issues or complicated deductions involved, I would just take the 20 minutes to fill out the paper forms, include copies of the W2s, and mail it. You only have to fill in the few blanks that apply to you. Leave the rest empty then sign it.

They have the "free fillable" forms that most anyone can use. But they can be a true pain, because you are required to type in every bit of info from all the W2 and 1099s you have. Regardless of whether you already have them in electronic form, scanned, etc.

If they truly want everyone to file online, then it is 25 years past due for the IRS to provide downloadable electronic forms that can be submitted and/or modified for reuse each year. Plus allow us to directly attach the supporting documents that we have from our employers.

Obviously the tax firm lobbies are in control of the electronic filing process. They provide a great service for a lot of folks, but most have the knowledge to read the rules and complete the few lines that apply to their situations.

beginnersluck

H&R Block online...at least they will stand behind any mistakes. It's free so long as you do not itemize. Plus you can get EFT, automatic deposit.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I was always scared to do mine myself because I was worried what would happen if I was audited. So I've paid a women for about 10 years or more to do line because she always said she would be there to take care of any issues. Turns out she lied and I had to pay someone $450 to handle something she lied to me and said she did for over 2 years. He has been such a great help I'll continue to use him, well worth the money to not have a headache of dealing with the IRS.