Queens bees needed.

groundhawg

Need to make splits on several of my hives and would rather place a queen in the new hives than let them make their own. So I am in search of several queens, 2018 newly mated or 2017 overwintered, please advise if you know of anyone with queens available.
Thanks.

greg_n_clayton

Google ...Blue Ridge Honey Company, Lakemont, Ga. I went looked at their Queen prices. Them ladies are rather expensive . Course I don't know as much as I would like about honey bees.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Have you contacted Rossman Apiaries over in Moultrie.

You can try Millie Bee (850)762-2255. They are out of Marianna, Fl but think they have several yards in Alabama. Elmore Herman is the guy who owns it.

groundhawg

So far have checked with all but none have any before first to mid-April. If can not find any before will get some from Elmore. Am in the Wiregrass Bee Club with him and he is a fine fellow to deal with.

Couple of places in CA. and HI. have some but reviews and shipping from that far are not very promising.
Thanks.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I use to keep a few hives and have met Elmore a few times at some seminars over at Lawrence Cutts place.

Lost my hives a few years back. Mouse got into one and tore up the comb and wax moths found it. Got a swarm down the road and thet stayed in my boxes for a few months and they all swarmed back out for whatever reason. Last one I lost was due to cold, was warm for a few weeks in late February and we had a quick cold snap. Bees. brood, etc got chilled and never recovered.

groundhawg

i saw this at costco the other day, used to attract native bees for pollination. this thing really work?

https://www.costco.ca/Swiss-Alps-Mason-Bee-House-.product.100391887.html

It would give mason bee a place to live but does not attract them, per say. Unlike garden-variety honeybees, mason bees are non-social creatures that nest in holes rather than in a hive with a queen. Orchard bees/mason bees work alone, but like to nest in groups when possible.

This type of bee is helpful to plants by pollination of them but does not produce any honey.

groundhawg

Have you contacted Rossman Apiaries over in Moultrie.

You can try Millie Bee (850)762-2255. They are out of Marianna, Fl but think they have several yards in Alabama. Elmore Herman is the guy who owns it.

UPDATE........
Elmore sent me a text today. He has 5 queens that I will be able to pickup on Saturday afternoon. So will be able to split hives this weekend.

Thanks to all for the help.