What is largest native snake in Georgia?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Couple of years ago I was spending a beautiful spring day riding my 4 wheeler on the dirt roads in central Georgia. I topped a small rise and saw what I initially thought was a limb lying in the road about 150 yards ahead. It was coming up out of the ditch and even though it was bent(I thought) it stretched across half the road. It appeared almost as big around as my calf. As I got closer the limb doubled back and shot off into the woods. My first thought was that someone had a pet loose, but in hindsight I believe that with the speed it moved(lightening fast) and it's long slender profile that it was a big indigo snake (black racer). I have just never seen one close to that size and length. I'm guessing it was 10-12 feet long. The longest on record is 9'2". I've been back to that place 100 times and looked at the surroundings closely. What I saw was longer than that. Any thoughts? Any other native snakes that would fit the bill? I can't think of any.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Indigo snake is the longest native snake in Georgia. Actually, it`s the longest in North America.

If it was black and that long it could have only been an Indigo. The only native snakes in this country that get to 8 feet or better are the Indigo, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, coachwhip, and pine-bull snake. Seems like there might-maybe be one more but it skips my mind at the moment.

SemperFiDawg

Indigo snake is the longest native snake in Georgia. Actually, it`s the longest in North America.

If it was black and that long it could have only been an Indigo. The only native snakes in this country that get to 8 feet or better are the Indigo, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, coachwhip, and pine-bull snake. Seems like there might-maybe be one more but it skips my mind at the moment.

It appeared black or at the least blackish. It disappeared into the branch as I got closer, probably 30 yards. I'm not afraid of snakes at all. Will handle them all day long, but there was no way I was going to try to follow that one down in there. It was just too big and I wasn't sure at the time it wasn't something exotic. Like I said, I have never seen anything even close to being comparable in size.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Add black rat snakes to that list. Not common to see one much over 6', (five-to-six footers are common here,) but they can get over 8' if they live long enough. There have been a couple officially measured at 8.5'. You don't see as many of the really big ones as we used to. Too many cars and mowers, I guess. I'm guessing that's what he saw in central GA.

BTW, SFD, the indigo snake and the black racer are two totally different species.

SemperFiDawg

Add black rat snakes to that list. Not common to see one much over 6', (five-to-six footers are common here,) but they can get over 8' if they live long enough. There have been a couple officially measured at 8.5'. You don't see as many of the really big ones as we used to. Too many cars and mowers, I guess. I'm guessing that's what he saw in central GA.

BTW, SFD, the indigo snake and the black racer are two totally different species.

Didn't know that.

MOTS

A true black racer that I have seen isn't much over 2.5 foot and moves unlike any other. I saw a Indigo crossing the highway once and when he turned around, it looked like he had at least 3 ft of his front off the ground.

shakey gizzard

X2 on the black rat getting over 8ft! Only seen 1 though and that was 30yrs ago.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Black rat or indigo I don’t know which for sure but I know of two or three black 8 footers in the same area 20 years apart. Always thought the first had to be an indigo.
Also recently a 6 foot solid black kingsnake different area of Georgia though. Lastly a large black hognose close to 3 plus feet and real fat will make you think twice about what it might be until you see the snout. Let ‘em live!

ryanh487

I saw a black rat that was easily over 6 feet once. I was in a Kennesaw neighborhood knocking on doors selling tree work and was standing back from a door with one foot on the porch step and one on the walkway behind me. Biggest rat snake I've ever seen crawled out from under the porch, went right between my feet and slithered into the boxwoods next to the walkway. It was cool.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Speaking of spreadin` adders (hognose snakes), they will make you set up and take notice, especially if it`s the color that mimics a pygmy rattler.

If that black snake has a lighter colored or white belly, it`s not an Indigo. They are all black except for maybe a touch of orange on the neck.

Attachments

• 14729149_1163640157036590_8664103985265153345_n.jpg
    14729149_1163640157036590_8664103985265153345_n.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 926
  • 537224_507182179349061_324176989_n (1).jpg
    537224_507182179349061_324176989_n (1).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 920
  • 21192471_1489904287743507_4476002838153004014_n.jpg
    21192471_1489904287743507_4476002838153004014_n.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 926

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yes sir, positive identifications are key to survival.
Those pygmy rattlers are amazing silent tiny rattlers.

Lukikus2

Great pics Nic. That's the biggest hognose I've ever seen! That would get your attention quick :rofl: Most I saw were the size of the bottom pic.

Two of the largest snakes I have seen, length and girt, were hands down the gray rat or oak snake.