spinal stenosis

AugustaDawg

To those who had surgery, what kind of Dr. did you use?

Orthopedic or Neouro surgeon ??

C4-C7 fused. My sister is in the medical field & strongly recommended that I use a Neurosurgeon instead of an Orthopaedic, so that's what I did. Had the anterior surgery & the day after surgery was back to about 90% pain free.

mw6493

Spinal Stenosis - Degenerative Disc Disease

For all you sufferers out there, keep this in mind. Now this may be a "correct" way to go about it for some people, however, steroid injections, will RUIN YOUR BODY AND HEALTH! I have been suffering for 20 years this past September, and my vertebrae have become brittle, and old as an 80 year old man, and I'm just 47. I did post one comment on this board earlier, but watch it with those steroid shots! If they don't keep count, and you receive too many, you will suffer agonizingly! Neuro's won't operate, so I have too take 3 kinds of pain meds and a (Diazepam) drug to keep from going out of my mind, wracked with pain, Can't do any hunting anymore, as I cannot haul anything out of the backwoods. I like to target shoot, which is what I mostly do now, and is sometimes therapeutic for me, but some days, I am like, whats the point. If I get outside and do any strenuous activity, then I pay for it dearly, later that evening or the next day. Goten to the point where I don't even care too target shoot anymore. But I will not sell my firearms collection, as I firmly believe this nation will soon be at unrest, and I will be prepared. But getting back on topic, PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU LET THESE DOCTORS DO TOO YOU!! AND IF THEY TELL YOU SOMETHING OR TO DO SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, GET YOUR CLOTHES ON AND GET OUT OF THERE! The problem with people who have CHRONIC pain, is that we are not hypochondriacs, CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored, I HATE doctors, but getting PROPER PAIN CONTROL! I have had doctors actually tell me to get out of their office, as I was a no good junkie! JUNKIE? All I wanted was pain relief, and I get thrown out! This is why there are many suicides from PTSD and vets! A lot of vets I know, including myself, avoid going to doctors for just that reason alone! I have 1 neuro. - who gives me the bare necessity, and after 20 years, even that does not cover my pain anymore! These pain clinics extort a lot of money from people who have have their lives smashed and turned upside down, and they act all high and mighty! I am a USMC veteran, and I for one, am tired of taking CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored off this so called medical establishment of ours! Its a complete farce. And to the man who quoted, "Obamacare WILL KILL YOU! Well brother, you took the words right out of my mouth? How did you end up with my life? Ha Ha! Anyways, I have too keep thinking too myself, "You and others like you in your position are the "toughest of the tough! NO Navy Seal could endure what I/we have endured! Sure, they have pain too deal with, and they are warriors, don't get me wrong. But the pain they suffer is TEMPORARY! i.e. they get a reprieve from their pain! But us in chronic pain, you can hold your head high, because no Chuck Norris can hold a candle to anyone going thru this CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored. Would like to get back into shooting sports, but looking for a likeminded person, who shares my point of view(s), as well as fellowship. Soapbox will stand down for now!
:shoot:

cherokee charlie

I don't want to start any trouble nor do I want anyone to dislike me for what I am about to say. Each of us is different and have a different level of pain tollerance. I am a surviver of 5 lower back, a thorasic acrea and two neck operations due to a spine that is deterioating rapidly. I am now confined to wheelchair. Over the years I have been a skeet,trap and sporting clay champion. I have tried my hand at steel challenge, cowboy action shooting and at the present I am a competitor in long range silhouette with 22's, 17 cal. and 22 mag. I am not telling you all this as a brag. What I have to say will probably make a few people uncomfortable but as I said before, each of us has our own level of tollerance. I have been in constant and severe pain since I was 37. I am now 74 and because I love to shoot so much, I have avoided any painkiller stronger than tramadol and neurontin. If I was to start taking anything stronger I would disqualify myself. It would also destroy my game and would cause a downward spiral in my scores. Not only that, I would be asked to stop shooting. Won't happen because shooting is too much a part of my being. FYI my first surgery was a neurosurgeon and because of an orthopedic surgeon I was almost an invalid. He could not read x-rays nor could he understand a myelogram. I tried for a year to explain to him that I was not an insurance case nor was I trying to sue anyone. I just wanted out of pain. Back operations are at best temporary relief. If you have one you will have another. I have rods and screws in my neck and lower back. My spinal canal in my neck is closed 85%. I am still in constant and severe pain. Just a word of advice to anyone who wants to shoot and takes the heavy pain killers-----don't do it. The safety of others is more important than exercising your right to shoot. If anyone takes drugs they should never put a gun in their hands.

Bucknut

45yrs Old...

I just posted something in the Spiritual section...I've just been diagnosed with Cervical stenosis \ cervical spondylosis last week...Arms and legs go numb , to the point of no feeling..When i do manage to get feeling , arms and hands burn , legs and feet throb and I get dizzy ..

Weird stuff...I'll have to pay attention to this thread and share as things progress...

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

I'm sure they can fix you up. Look up and you can read about my son, who in the midst of trying to be a decent junior golfer, had to struggle with this (at 14, BTW). We opted for surgery when every other treatment failed. So far, though his condition might be a bit different than yours, he is doing well and playing the game he loves again.

But more than golf or my son, this is about faithfulness, that is, the faithfulness of God the help us through the obstacles. I think if you take your condition on with that thought in mind, you might just come out better than before!!!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
"But more than golf or my son, this is about faithfulness, that is, the faithfulness of God the help us through the obstacles. I think if you take your condition on with that thought in mind, you might just come out better than before!!! "
I am dealing with this and it does get a body down. Already have had one surgery with no relief. Got more test coming up to see if anything else is going on . I have all the pain you have described and medications offer no relief for the pain but the post above is the greatest hope any of us can hope for and be thankful for.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't want to start any trouble nor do I want anyone to dislike me for what I am about to say. Each of us is different and have a different level of pain tollerance. I am a surviver of 5 lower back, a thorasic acrea and two neck operations due to a spine that is deterioating rapidly. I am now confined to wheelchair. Over the years I have been a skeet,trap and sporting clay champion. I have tried my hand at steel challenge, cowboy action shooting and at the present I am a competitor in long range silhouette with 22's, 17 cal. and 22 mag. I am not telling you all this as a brag. What I have to say will probably make a few people uncomfortable but as I said before, each of us has our own level of tollerance. I have been in constant and severe pain since I was 37. I am now 74 and because I love to shoot so much, I have avoided any painkiller stronger than tramadol and neurontin. If I was to start taking anything stronger I would disqualify myself. It would also destroy my game and would cause a downward spiral in my scores. Not only that, I would be asked to stop shooting. Won't happen because shooting is too much a part of my being. FYI my first surgery was a neurosurgeon and because of an orthopedic surgeon I was almost an invalid. He could not read x-rays nor could he understand a myelogram. I tried for a year to explain to him that I was not an insurance case nor was I trying to sue anyone. I just wanted out of pain. Back operations are at best temporary relief. If you have one you will have another. I have rods and screws in my neck and lower back. My spinal canal in my neck is closed 85%. I am still in constant and severe pain. Just a word of advice to anyone who wants to shoot and takes the heavy pain killers-----don't do it. The safety of others is more important than exercising your right to shoot. If anyone takes drugs they should never put a gun in their hands.

Charlie I agree with most of what you said but the last sentence is opinion and should have been stated as such. I have severe back problems, chronic pain and take a minimal amount of pain medicine and it does not affect my shooting or hunting. The reason I know it is minimal is it is the smallest dose available and it only dulls the pain enough so I can sleep. I don't take it in daytime (unless pain is so severe I can't tolerate it)as again that is my choice as I could but choose to suffer rather than take anymore drugs than I feel I need to. The dosage I am on is small enough I can function fine and that is from being observed by someone else, not my opinion. Now if I took more i would not dare touch a firearm, so I think it is dependent on your level of medication and reaction to the medication not a blanket statement if you take drugs at all.

cherokee charlie

Pain and Drugs

To: hpurvis
You are 100% correct. I should have stated that it was only my opinion. It is a shame we have to live like this but our trust in God will get us through this somehow. I sure hope everybody on this forum post will get better. It is the season to be thankful and jolly. I hope you will be.
Merry Christmas
CC

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am fortunate that I dont have to take the hydrocodone stuff on a daily basis. I do take gabapentin and diclofenac daily.

IMO driving a vehicle is much more serious than firing a gun if someone feels they are influenced by a strong pain med.

Jake Allen

"But more than golf or my son, this is about faithfulness, that is, the faithfulness of God the help us through the obstacles. I think if you take your condition on with that thought in mind, you might just come out better than before!!! "
I am dealing with this and it does get a body down. Already have had one surgery with no relief. Got more test coming up to see if anything else is going on . I have all the pain you have described and medications offer no relief for the pain but the post above is the greatest hope any of us can hope for and be thankful for.

You have been on my mind Jeff. Prying for you brother.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks Jeff. I can drive short distance so maybe I can come see everyone sometime after the first of the year. NGT may be to far, as is SGTP right now to drive for me.

lbzdually

Banned
I have cervical spondylosis in my neck which causes my left arm to rotate between extreme pain, numbness, and weakness. Right now it is hard for to even type with my left hand. However here lately my lower back pain has been overriding my arm, shoulder and neck pain. The pain starts about even with my hips and goes down all the way to the tailbone. I routinely have kidney stones, so I have been thinking it may be a stone starting, but the pain doesn't localize to one side or the other. My left leg has also been going numb at times when I sit stand, lay down. Could stenosis be a possibility for me?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have cervical spondylosis in my neck which causes my left arm to rotate between extreme pain, numbness, and weakness. Right now it is hard for to even type with my left hand. However here lately my lower back pain has been overriding my arm, shoulder and neck pain. The pain starts about even with my hips and goes down all the way to the tailbone. I routinely have kidney stones, so I have been thinking it may be a stone starting, but the pain doesn't localize to one side or the other. My left leg has also been going numb at times when I sit stand, lay down. Could stenosis be a possibility for me?

Sure could be. It sounds like you have something going on with your nerves. Go to an orthopedic or neurological doctor and get them to check for you.

Buckbuster

I had surgery on March 9 for stenosis on L 3,4,5 I have been dealing with it for many yrs. and didn't know what it was until about 2 yrs. ago when pain got so bad that I had to see a Dr. Went to a orthopedic and she said we should try therapy first. She said it was stenosis after xrays and a scan. I went to therapy and before I even left I could feel a difference. After several therapy the pain was gone and I was doing great. Then the pain started to gradually come back and in oct. it started to get really bad and I figured I would just go back to therapy. They said I had to see Dr. again before therapy and did that and went back to therapy and it didn't help this time. So I went back to Dr. and I said I didn't want shots if it was just going to be temporary and have to face it all again. I wanted to get it over and behind me. I am 66 yrs. old and want to finish the rest of my yrs. without dealing with stenosis.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I had surgery on March 9 for stenosis on L 3,4,5 I have been dealing with it for many yrs. and didn't know what it was until about 2 yrs. ago when pain got so bad that I had to see a Dr. Went to a orthopedic and she said we should try therapy first. She said it was stenosis after xrays and a scan. I went to therapy and before I even left I could feel a difference. After several therapy the pain was gone and I was doing great. Then the pain started to gradually come back and in oct. it started to get really bad and I figured I would just go back to therapy. They said I had to see Dr. again before therapy and did that and went back to therapy and it didn't help this time. So I went back to Dr. and I said I didn't want shots if it was just going to be temporary and have to face it all again. I wanted to get it over and behind me. I am 66 yrs. old and want to finish the rest of my yrs. without dealing with stenosis.

So it has only been a week, can you tell yet if it helped?

K80

Spinal stenosis, two bulging disc, pars defect, and a bone spur that catches on my spinal cord and thanks to helichrysum and frankincense I'm off my nsaids and feeling pretty good.

Last edited:

AceOfTheBase

me too

arthritis & spinal stenosis that flared up 2005 and sent me to the floor.
The docs had a protocol that I had to follow. I refused to get the shots.
PT and meds for two years including diclofenac, gabapentin, and it only got worse.
But changed from orthopedic Dr to neuro surgeon and he ended up operating on l3,l4,l5, and S1 in 2007.
He called it a hemilaminectomy, which meant he cleared out the nerve passageways on the center/side of my spine that were pinched the most.
He said I was a candidate for that, while some are not.
Everybody is different, but find the best neuro surgon for, at least, a second opinion, glad I did.
When I woke up from surgery, I felt like a new man, like a pain switch had been turned off.

Buckbuster

I can tell a difference, no pain in legs as of now. First thing I noticed was the numbness on bottom of right foot was gone. I had a partial lung collapse but that is getting better. Constipation aftere was a problem. I have to wear a bracce for a while I think this surgery will help. Will be any to know more in a few weeks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I can tell a difference, no pain in legs as of now. First thing I noticed was the numbness on bottom of right foot was gone. I had a partial lung collapse but that is getting better. Constipation aftere was a problem. I have to wear a bracce for a while I think this surgery will help. Will be any to know more in a few weeks.

Sounds like some progress already there. Hope things keep getting better.

Jdm0353

Spinal Stenosis C3,4&5

At age 54 in April of 2007 I started having pain in my right forearm. I assumed I had pulled a muscle or something working in the yard. Pain kept getting worse, finally talked with my general practice doc, he prescribed some oral steroid tablets, the pain went away. Two days after stopping the RX, the pain was back. We did an mri and found stenosis in C 3,4&5. I didn't want to talk to anyone about surgery on my neck, afraid of being paralyzed or worse. Pain kept getting worse in my forearm and then my hand started going numb. Is August my left forearm started hurting. The first neuro surgeon I went to said he had to remove the bone spurs and arthritis. Clean up the bulging discs then fuse everything in place with hardware. I decided to get a second opinion. The second neuro surgeon said he could fix it without fusion. He went in through the back of my neck, cut through each vertebrae and inserted a spacer thus making the opening larger for my spinal cord to pass through. The surgery was a success but I still have nerve damage and have to take large amounts of Neurontin daily. Two years later I had to have L3&4 fused, now I am suffering with pain coming from L2 and L5. April of 2016 I had a spinal stimulator implanted to reduce the pain in my lower back.