Thr rut has started in S. fl.!

Rackemup HC

Just saw a buck doggin a doe in a cow pasture behind my house! Only in south Fl., it was only 95 degrees and 90% humidity today. Bought a camo swimsuit for opening day

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I remember when I hunted down there, they can rut anytime. And many bucks we saw were without antlers in November. So, I started hunting farther north in Osceola County, Bull Creek. Used to be called Jan Green.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Just saw a buck doggin a doe in a cow pasture behind my house! Only in south Fl., it was only 95 degrees and 90% humidity today. Bought a camo swimsuit for opening day

I believe that...did alot of survey work in Okeechobee County and would see bucks doggin does in July/August. Kind of weird when you have hunted in North Central Florida, Georgia and South Carolina most of your life and see a hood size scrape in late June and bucks chasing does in 98 degree heat.

I keep telling folks that the rut down there is not timed by the amount of daylight hours or a certain moon phase but is dictated so the does can drop their fawns during the dry season.

XJfire75

I think you're right swamp. Deer are extremely
addaptive and I don't doubt that's the exact reason at all.

Maybe that's why they're so small though. Runnin all over the place in the middle of summer has to keep em thin for the "winter" lol.

Yep Florida's deer herd is so diverse. One State has the earlist in the nation and one of the latest in the nation.
Here in the panhandle our rut is usually end of January first of Febuary.

LMCGATOR

In Highlands County just South of Sebring on a big ranch I have seen the rut wide open around July 4th with mature bucks running around at high noon in 90+ degree temperatures. Come to think of it I have done the same thing. Just wasn't a mature buck back then.

swamp hunter

I,m thinkin it,s Pre-Rut. In my cow Pasture last year it was July 15 th. and they were Smokin. I,m guessin I,m about 15 miles South of You . Takes a Crazy Man to Hunt then.

Doyle

That is the reason that this year the south zone will open for archery on July 31. They did a study that found the deer down there start rutting very early so they bumped up the start of archery season. I live only a few miles from the northern border of the south zone so I'm going to see if I can find some place to get in some August hunting time.

lock

I saw a decent buck chasing a doe while scouting a local wma last weekend. He didn't care one bit that we were there and kept right on doggin her. This was in a very open pasture, middle of the day, high 90's, northeast of immokalee.

The wma's in this area do not open archery until September, so it will most likely be all over by the time anyone can get in the woods.

Doyle

The wma's in this area do not open archery until September, so it will most likely be all over by the time anyone can get in the woods

I seem to recall an upcomming FWC meeting where they will be discussing moving the WMA seasons to coincide with the changes in the regular seasons.

gottabowhunt

Scouting in July of 05 in the Big Cypress I saw this big boy doggin a doe at 12:30 in the afternoon. Love huntin that place!

Attachments

• IMG_05913.jpg
    IMG_05913.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 396

swamp hunter

Cool Pic,s GBHunt. Thats my home Woods!. You might see a Monkey, Phython , Gators and cottonmouths all you can handle. It,s a Strange Place for sure.

Rackemup HC

I,m thinkin it,s Pre-Rut. In my cow Pasture last year it was July 15 th. and they were Smokin. I,m guessin I,m about 15 miles South of You . Takes a Crazy Man to Hunt then.
I am northeast of 951 and 41. Not really worried about giving up the location, aint to many people getting around out here when the water is up. Went scouting and seen 2 big rattle snakes swimming in the water yesterday....the rain is comin cause they be headin north... got to love huntin the water boy

Larry Rooks

I got Does in N Fla that have not dropped their Fawns yet.
Looked at some Sunday afternoon that are still blown out
and tight in belly.

swamp hunter

6L Farms , Out at Picanuye strand and Collier Semanole State Park.Scouted Deep Lake last weekend , no rubs to Speak of. Water was way down , but thats fixin to change. I love Hearin them slip thru that Water!