Why do you use a muzzleloader for deer?

lampern

To extend your season/hunting time, required by law where you hunt or you just enjoy hunting with one?

Big7

The Oracle
To cheat on rifle season.

georgia_home

I started ML when it doubled hunting time where I was living in the 90's.

4 weeks is better than 2.

Haven't done much MLing lately, but it's fun, slightly different.

Hillbilly stalker

For The connection to the past and I enjoy he challenge of the ol side hammer . I hunt with mine during rifle season a lot also. It's about the hunt for me.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Because I like the old ways. I use both of my traditional muzzleloaders throughout the regular rifle season.

Minner

For the extra hunting time. Used to be you didn't get near as much time to hunt (ie shorter seasons). Also there used to be some WMAs that had muzzleloader only hunts that I liked. These don't happen much any more and with the length of deer season now that's not much of an issue either. But I still love the feel of the ol Hawken in my hands and the big cloud of smoke the Pyrodex gives off, especially on a cool fall morning.

snuffy

It is what I enjoy using.
Traditional.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoy it immensely. The connection to the past, the smell of blackpowder smoke, the challenge, and it just feels right. It has to be traditional for me, I would not want a scoped inline if you gave me one free- it's just not the same for me. I have killed way more deer over the years with my muzzleloaders than every other weapon put together. Like Nic said, I often hunt with mine during rifle season. Trad muzzloaders with open sights are a perfect match for the tight places in the woods that I like to hunt. I'm not much of a field-sitter.

ryanh487

Because it's the most powerful/effective weapon I can legally use for that part of the season.

Also, it gives me the option of a bigger gun to go after public land hogs with during small game and Turkey season should I choose to do so.

Big7

The Oracle
In line muzzle loaders is cheating.

Most of the good one's shoot as good
as SOME center fire rifles.

IMO.. Should only be legal during "regular" rifle season.

Old skool TRUE muzzle loaders are a different story
and I can see the sport in that.

PappyHoel

It's different and a chance to take an animal with some unknowns thrown in. I have a list that I check off for each type of weapon I take a deer with. This year it's my pistol muzzle loader and my SW 629 44

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In line muzzle loaders is cheating.

Most of the good one's shoot as good
as SOME center fire rifles.

IMO.. Should only be legal during "regular" rifle season.

Old skool TRUE muzzle loaders are a different story
and I can see the sport in that.

My 3 muzzleloaders shoot as good as my modern weapons, and I trust them to go off just like I do any gun I own.

killerv

well heck....even a traditional is "cheating" when compared to a bow. And then you can say a compound is cheating over a recurve. It's 2017 people. Who cares as long as people are getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

I took two with an old kentucky rifle we had hanging over the fireplace. Then I went out and decked me out an encore. Took my nicest buck with it.

Darkhorse

I grew up watching Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone and The Swamp Fox Francis Marion. My father was also a Civil War buff and we visited a lot of museums at different battlefields. The result is from an early age I have always been fascinated by traditional ML rifles.
I bought my first one, a caplock, in 1976 and a few years later a flintlock. Now I have 2 flintlocks, both built by me. And hunting with a rifle that you built yourself adds a lot to the experience.
I never got into this to extend my season. I got into it to hunt and shoot blackpowder. Some years I didn't even hunt the early ML season but I always hunt the regular season.
Taking a good buck with a flintlock is always a challenge but hunting the rut is the time to do it, so I spend at least 90% of my days hunting with my flintlock.
I like all types of guns. I have rifles from the .44 Ruger Carbine up to a .300 Win. Mag. and several calibers in between. I know if I want to hunt a powerline or clearcut the flintlock is not the best tool. But I have something in the guncase that will get the job done.
The only type ML I don't own and have never shot is an inline. They hold no interest for me whatsoever.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
well heck....even a traditional is "cheating" when compared to a bow. And then you can say a compound is cheating over a recurve. It's 2017 people. Who cares as long as people are getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

I took two with an old kentucky rifle we had hanging over the fireplace. Then I went out and decked me out an encore. Took my nicest buck with it.

Just don't call them "primitive weapons." I don't care what anybody else hunts with, but I care what I hunt with.

35 Whelen

Able to hunt one week earlier and it is legal during small game season on WMA's for hogs.