How long do you keep it loaded?

ICU2012

Fairly new at the muzzleloading game, I’ve had people tell me they load up on openin day and keep the same charge in until they shoot something with it, just taking the primer out when they leave the stand. I’ve had other people tell me I should shoot it and start fresh every time I go out. What’s yall’s take on it?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

For me, I have done it both ways but now since I use BH209 I feel good about keeping it loaded until I shoot something. With other powders, I might not feel so comfortable.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.

I use pellets and keep mine loaded, but only if that load was put in a clean barrel. If I have fired and reloaded, I won't keep the second load in very long.
I always keep a balloon over the end of the barrel to keep humid air out. This lets me worry less about moisture condensation inside the barrel if the gun goes through sudden temperature changes.

deast1988

I'm same way as above, clean barrel loaded can last a while. Dirty barrel a week at the most.

Yankee in GA

I usually hunt a weekend with a charge loaded and just take the primer out. If I don't shoot a deer, I'll discharge on Sunday before I head home

01Foreman400

Staff member
Blackhorn 209

Last year I loaded mine the night before the M/L season started. I killed a doe on 12/30 with it with the same load. No issues at all if it's stored properly when not in use.

killerv

It's considered loaded with the primer in it, that being said, I remove primer after every hunt.

But as far as the pellets and bullet, just fired mine left over from last year to check zero. it was good to go.
I unload by removing breech plug and pushing the bullet and pellets to where they fall out of the breech. I don't know what the new thing is these days but I have some old bore butter and it to help with fouling. Can shoot twice as many times when using it as opposed to not using it before cleaning. I don't let it go more than two weeks without cleaning if it has been shot.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I decided to shoot mine a few minutes ago , and realized it was still loaded from last season , and still dead on , cleaned and reloaded and ready again

Rabun

Depending on which ML and weather...I usually fire/unload my flintlock after each days hunt regardless. I'll leave my inline loaded for the duration of the hunt unless its been rainy or very hi humidity.

ryanh487

primary ingredient in black powder is a salt called potassium nitrate. It's highly corrosive to metal. Hope you fellas who leave your rifle loaded for months at a time are inspecting for rust and pitting. Mine gets unloaded after the weekend, cleaned, and the inside gets coated in bore butter before storage. I run a clean patch through to wipe out the extra before loading it back up.

BASS1FUN

I use to leave it loaded for a few days but now i'm unloading mine every time mainly for safety, twice i've double loaded (would have sworn i unloaded)thank GOD both times i didn't see any deer would have been ugly

goshenmountainman

Mine was loaded from last year at the start of muzzle loader season. Took it out of safe and checked it and found out it was loaded, put a 209 primer on it and it fired just like always. I use BH 209, no problems.

T-N-T

Mine has been loaded since last ML season. I pulled breach a few days ago and looked at the pellets and put them back in.
It sang this morning without issue

Until I shoot something, but I’ll keep the charge in the whole season, when the season is done I’ll shoot it out and clean and store it for next season. I was 17, joined the Air Force, 4 years later I got out, didn’t remember if mine was still holding a charge, so, to be safe, I did a check at the range, it went off like I had just loaded it that moment. Glad I checked it, now I make sure I clear it, and to be absolute, I take a piece of tape and write “empty” and put it on the trigger housing

ryanh487

Until I shoot something, but I’ll keep the charge in the whole season, when the season is done I’ll shoot it out and clean and store it for next season. I was 17, joined the Air Force, 4 years later I got out, didn’t remember if mine was still holding a charge, so, to be safe, I did a check at the range, it went off like I had just loaded it that moment. Glad I checked it, now I make sure I clear it, and to be absolute, I take a piece of tape and write “empty” and put it on the trigger housing

The easiest way to prevent a double charge is to load the rifle, stick the ramrod in until it hits the bullet, and then score it noticeably with a knife at the muzzle. Then, if in down, drop your ramrod down the barrel. If you can see the line, the gun is loaded. If you can't, it's not.

Just remember to change the line position if you switch from say 100 grains of pellets to 150 or especially vice-versa.

floundergigger

I load mine once until I shoot something. Sometimes that's a week. I load mine and use electrical tape and put it over the end of the barrel in a X. Then wrap a piece around the barrel. That holds the 2 pieces tight and you barrel sealed. I don't take it off. Shoots right threw the tape and no muzzle moisture. Always take out the primer:fine:

Ruger Redhawk

As long as I'm not hunting in rain I'll leave it loaded until I fire it. Then I clean it good and reload it until the next time I need or fire it. I've hunted almost the entire season and didn't fire it. When I did there was no hesitation or remotely a hang fire. I've done the same with in lines and the old cap locks. I remove the cap and put a folded paper towel over the nipple making sure I don't punch the P.T. and it blocks the nipple. With my Knights I have a couple marked discs with spent primers in them to seal the chamber off.
For several years years ago I used to shoot them out after the days hunt then I decided it really wasn't necessary to clean and reload it after a days hunt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I leave them loaded until I shoot something, or drop it in a creek or some such. The moisture thing with muzzleloaders is way over hyped. I took my flintlock out at the beginning of the season this year, and it was still loaded from last year. Primed the frizzen, pulled the trigger, and bang!