small pear tree

tail_slider3d

while scouting in the woods today i went and checked a pear tree that has been there for years but never had any pears on it to amout to anything. Now i know the deer eat the big pears but this tree is loaded with small mini pears about the size of a persimmon. There was no sign of activity around the tree but then again there are no pears on the ground and they are not ready (yeah i ate one). I am guessing the deer eat these but just looking for some conformation before i set my climber up in the area.

Bowhunter Matt

mu dad has a tree like that in his back yard and the deer will eat his pears so when they are ready they should eat yours.

wadehand

Sounds like you may have found a seedling pear. I have several of them that drop real late in the season. They arent as sweet as a grafted pear but the deer do eat them. Because of their lip puckering taste, I feel like the deer kinda let them ferment before they really flock to them. I have some trees that are still holding onto their pears in January. They make a great late season stand.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seedling pear, favorite to coons and possums. Usually deer eat the leaves.

Sounds like you may have found a volunteer Bradford pear. I don't think they are a favored food of deer. I've never seen them eat them off the tree like they do other fruit.

chrisw1073

I have one on my hunting property. Coons love them, but I have never had any deer activity around it. They are very bitter even when ripe.