28 Hours of driving

gsppurist

Well, Finally made it. Drove from Columbus, GA to Iowa City, IA (15 Hours) for a chukar hunt yesterday morning then drove all night to Mott, ND for a pheasant hunt (13 hours) and got limit today after 6 hours of hunting. The pics are from after the chukar hunt and will be hunting pheasant for the next 7 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,189
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,191

JuliaH

And when you get home you are gonna sleep for a week!! Nice pictures by the way... ::ke:

I know a female GSP who looks just like your male :)

Jim P

Wow that looks like a bunch of hunting, you might have to hire someone to drive you and your pup home.

gsppurist

Second day of hunting.

8 People and we finally got our limit.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,107

gsppurist

Day 3 in North Dakota

On the 3rd day of hunting, we had our limit in 3 hours for 16 people. Even the blockers got their limit.:shoot:

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,092

Setter Jax

Looks like a great trip. I’ve been talking with a friend about trying to line up a trip like that for next season. Thanks for sharing.

SJ

gsppurist

Day 4, Got limit by Noon. Most of the 15 people got limits today with 3 Sharptail grouse also taken Despite 28 degree weather with sustained winds of 20 miles per hour. Definitely harder hunting conditions today.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,018

Supercracker

Do the shorthairs have trouble in those temps?

Luke0927

Good times! you on private or public?....I've either been to KS or SD for the last 3 years straight can't make it this year for family stuff but will be back next

cjones

Great pics! Sounds like a great trip. Glad to see the bird numbers are starting to come back. They were down quite a bit the last couple of years I lived in Iowa (ending 2009).

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man, there is nothing sweeter than the area around Mott for wild pheasants. That's some gorgeous country.

gsppurist

Do the shorthairs have trouble in those temps?

The dogs have a hard time with shivering until they start running. I felt my dog's ears every couple hours and they are always warm. Because they are always running they do fine. I have insulated cover for my dog kennel.

TG

gsppurist

Day 5

Day 5 in North Dakota Pheasant hunting. Limited by 0900. Looking at some of the pics, the birds don't stand a chance.

The second pic if you look closely, the nose is bleeding from running head low in the grass. He limps heavily each evening, I live on prescription strength Motrin.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:

zacherwalker

Good times! you on private or public?....I've either been to KS or SD for the last 3 years straight can't make it this year for family stuff but will be back next

x2 this public or private?? looks like private because the farm houses in the back ground of a picture but you never know. this trip looks amazing!

gsppurist

We are on Private land primarily and the trespass fees are are about $100 to $150.

Occasionally when we want a day off of paying fees, we do PLOTS with mixed results.

Last edited:

gsppurist

Day 6

Drilled them today. Despite late start, everyone limited by 2:00 PM. Some incredible shooting and hundreds of birds flying out of the field. Group shot with the limit of birds. :jump:

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 961

gsppurist

Had to use duct tape for my dog's left rear foot. He has been running on sore pads and a scuff on his pad for several days with a heavy limp until he gets warmed up. Has lost probably 4 lbs despite heavy calorie ladden food. He will need a couple of weeks to recover. One more day of hunting.