What dog is best for tracking deer (blood)

gregg

We grew up hunting rabbits with a Dachshund/weiner dog and we would put that dog on trails of wounded rabbits and he would always come back with a rabbit in his mouth, that dog never failed us.

Ace1313

I think any dog with the desire to hunt would be great. My rottie trailed his first deer after my buddies dragged off the morning kill. The next morning the same buddy shot one in the tall grass had a hard time finding blood we put the dog on it and he found the deer. We have used him several times since with mixed results he does ok on deer that are leaking fluid ok but not so well on others. I will say he gets really excited about trailing and hates not finding them.

D

Dawgy_Daddy

Ive got a Rat Terrier and a German Shepherd that both do a fine job following a blood trail.

tullisfireball

personality is more important than breed, I used one of my beagles, but any breed can be trained, as long as it wants to play the "game"

BuckBoy

The one that can find a deer. I think you can teach almost any dog if you start from a pup. All my bird dogs can do it. It is easy to train.

turbogt

Buddy of mine has a Bavarian Mountain Hound. That dog is amazing to watch work. I had never seen one before & he's a beautiful dog - I believe it's the same as in Wildlands' avatar.
He had a great disposition - kinda rambunctious but real friendly.

jamrens

Banned
I am going to try to train my 7 week old boxer puppy

1md2b

This one right here. But only if its a 100 yards or less, otherwise you'll find him piled up underneath a shade tree layin on his side completely exhausted.:bounce: He aint much on stamina, ha!

Attachments

• clint 167.jpg
    clint 167.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 20,321

Washington95

Article from many years ago compared most breeds and found that wire haired Dachsund was best; fresh trails, old trails, and very old trails. Sort of makes sense I guess, but bottom line is many dogs can be trained to blood trail.

chambers270

What do you all do to train them? I wanted to work with my dog but dont know where to start. Do I just take a piece of hide and drag it then turn the dog loose on the trai?

White Stag

personality is more important than breed, I used one of my beagles, but any breed can be trained, as long as it wants to play the "game"

I have two now, a mom and pup...The mom found both of the deer my wife shot last year. She is a good dog and pet; I am really looking forward to seeing what the pup does this year following momma on tracking jobs!:cheers:

Doyle

I was in Gander Mountain and I saw a guy with a little Jack Russell terrier in his buggy. I started talking to him and he told me that this little girl was the best deer tracking dog he had ever seen. Since he started using her, he had never lost a deer. Her only problem was that she wouldn't bark so he had a hard time finding her in the dark sometimes. I bet she wouldn't weigh 10 lbs soaking wet. You could almost keep her in your backpack and just take her out when you need to track.

tullisfireball

I was in Gander Mountain and I saw a guy with a little Jack Russell terrier in his buggy. I started talking to him and he told me that this little girl was the best deer tracking dog he had ever seen. Since he started using her, he had never lost a deer. Her only problem was that she wouldn't bark so he had a hard time finding her in the dark sometimes. I bet she wouldn't weigh 10 lbs soaking wet. You could almost keep her in your backpack and just take her out when you need to track.

In Georgia you have to have a track dog on a leash, so if they won't bark it doesn't matter

will hunt 4 food

What do you all do to train them? I wanted to work with my dog but dont know where to start. Do I just take a piece of hide and drag it then turn the dog loose on the trai?

Get the book "tracking dogs for finding wounded deer"by John Jeanneney from Born to Track.com.

In Georgia you have to have a track dog on a leash, so if they won't bark it doesn't matter

You might want to research this, because there is no such regulation. I would recomend it for the safety of the dog, but it is not required.

letsemwalk

one that don`t drag you through the woods and waits for you to get through the thick stuff.

coltday

The best dog I have seen work was a bulldog and hound mix. Back home people offer money for his tracking abilities. A friend of mine shot a really large buck a couple of years ago and had a vague blood trail. They got the dog on it and when the dog ran up on the buck he was very much alive and ready to fight. This dog did not skip a beat and jumped right on the deer like a catch dog.

bublewis

A lot of dogs can trail up a deer if you put them on the trail; it had just better not be my coon hound.:whip: I don't know that the breed is that important, unless it's a real cold track, but what is important is that the deer is dead; a lot of hunters think they have a deer down that is really in the next county by the time the dog arrives. That being said, I prefer a small silent dog for the job when on the leash.