Apache Grip (3under)

Bonaire-Dave

Anyone know if Apaches used a 3 under grip. June/July issue of TBM page 66 talks about Apache Grip being 3under. I did a internet search and didn't find any info. Dave

Dirty44Dan

They did not. No Indians used a three-under grip. Look in Laubin's "American Indian Archery" to see the various grips. There is no 3 under.

Dirty44Dan

No Indian 3-under grips

Here you go, Dave. I copied the illustrations of the various Indian grips. There is no 3-under grip--I think for two reasons: poor nocks that would not stay locked on string, and short bows that would crimp three fingers severely.

Attachments

• Indian string grips.jpg
    Indian string grips.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,686

RBM

The only grip I have ever seen Native American Indians use is a thumb/foreknuckle pinch and that is it. Quicker release. No problems unlike modern finger tip methods. Just like Dirty44Dan posted on the top primary illustration.

TNGIRL

That's cool Dan......thanks for the pic!!!!!I have observed on many recent films, other grips. I even like to try them out at times. But sometimes I can't hold them well or long at all. Not that my bow is such a heavy poundage, more that my fingers and hands don't hold or grip like they did when I was a younger woman.:p:p:p

The Apache shot with a 3-finger, Mediterranian release, just like the majority of trad hunters today. They were the minority though of North American tribes, as most used the Secondary or Tertiary type release. From what I understand anyway. Going to post a couple of pictures of Apache archers, either late 19th century or very early 20th century. Well, don't have a photo account to post URL image. If you shoot me your email I would be glad to email the digital copy of the photographs to you. I am just beginning an effort to try to learn the secondary type release. Hard to do with a modern string material, since it hurts your fingers. I am in process of obtaining a rawhide string that is larger in diameter and smoother.

Let's try this.
GeronimoMG44

There is a FB group that is devoted solely to Native American archery

(Mods, please delete if inappropriate for me to provide this)

Just giving a group where that's all they focus on - I don't think that will lure folks away from this terrific site; just trying to add some content with my photo's above. I love this type of stuff and would like to discuss/contribute more on this site.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/352011098156203/

If you shoot an Apache style bow, you would be fully period-accurate using a Mediterranian release. But Creeks, Seminole, and other GA region tribes used the pinch type grips. But I imagine it was like we throw a baseball or do other physical activities - not everyone did it the same. Surely there were some who experimented or adopted other techniques over time.