Fly Fishing Etiquette

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
What are your thoughts on the subject? When you see others in the stream - what is proper? Best practices.

Killer Kyle

The main things are 1) Pick up your trash, and 2) Give people their space. If you see a person working their way up a run to a good hole, don't jump in front of them. Give them room.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If I see another vehicle in a pulloff, I won't even stop, I'll keep going. I'm a firm believer in giving someone space, and I expect the same courtesy.

Last edited:

fishndoc

Depends on where you are fishing, and mainly how crowded it usually is.

If I walk to a favorite backcountry spot and come upon someone, I’ll ask which direction he’s fishing - upstream or down? - and go the opposite direction (although one time I did have a guy answer "both").

If it’s a stream like Dukes creek where you know there is gonna be a dozen fisherman scattered over 3 miles of stream, then I try to get in the creek at a spot where a can’t see anyone, and slowly work my way up stream.

And, if it’s somewhere like the hatchery stretch of the Davidson, if you can find a rock with no one within 20 yards, you are lucky.

jigman29

If someone is there then I move on. If I am in a hole I expect it to be mine and will pass along the same courtesy. I hate seeing someone in a hole and a guy walk up and start chunking a line in on top of them.

Jimmy Harris

One other thing to keep in mind. If you are fishing downstream and meet an angler fishing upstream, the guy fishing upstream has the right of way.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
One other thing to keep in mind. If you are fishing downstream and meet an angler fishing upstream, the guy fishing upstream has the right of way.

Yes, I have been told as a rule of thumb, if you are entering the water upstream from a fly fisherman it should be at least three holes up and out of sight as a min. Situation dependent - further is better.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate being high-holed, and I try to avoid doing it to other folks. In the small creeks that I like to fish, someone wading up it is likely going to put the fish down for hours. If I see somebody else fishing, I go somewhere else, or at least try to give them a half a mile or so of water before jumping in the creek.

Killer Kyle

That's what I was trying to convey, but you worded it much more appropriately. Usually a man doesn't hit a good pool from right on top of the fish. A man tries to approach it downstream, pick up possible fish in the tailout, and proceed upstream to the more likely holding water. Too many times have I been working my way up to a good pool just to have someone drop right into it. I like to get way, way upstream of another fisherman. Usually out of sight like others have mentioned. It's just a basic "do unto others" type of ethic. It's more difficult to do on our smaller and more heavily stocked streams, but should still be a consideration for all.

JakkBauer

THe best is when you get a big one and go somewhere more reasonable to deal with it only to release and turn around to see the guy that was down from you is now in the hole that you just don’t care about anymore :fine:

Latest posts