Green River Skinner

Anvil Head

Just finished this one up. It will be on the table at Trackrock this weekend.
Forged from 1084 - 5"/10"oal with file work and etching.
Wrought Iron fittings - black locust with bloodwood spacers.
Deer hide covered sheath with Souix spirit shirt design and horse hair roaches.

Attachments

• grnrvrsknr c.jpg
    grnrvrsknr c.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 454
  • grnrvrsknr d.jpg
    grnrvrsknr d.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 453
  • grnrvrsknr a.jpg
    grnrvrsknr a.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 453

Anvil Head

This is another I just finished up. Forged from an old RxR lock washer (spec'd at 1095). Forged the blade last fall at a demo at my church - Wild Wood Baptist (great place to be on Sundays!). The blade is 5"/9.5"oal, handle is black mesquite, fittings are carved bronze. Hand tooled sheath. It will be at Trackrock as well. (not sure what's happening with the last pic, use your imagination).

Attachments

• wwdggr1.jpg
    wwdggr1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 441
  • wwdggr2.jpg
    wwdggr2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 440
  • wwdggr3.jpg
    wwdggr3.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 446

wvdawg

Staff member
Beautiful work!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those are works of art.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is one dandy of a period correct knife, and that Arkansas Toothpick ain`t bad either.

Anvil Head

Nic, I'd think the dagger is a bit small for a "Arkansas Toothpick" designation. At 5" most would consider it a boot or vest knife. There are some awful picky guys out there not saying their right or wrong just mostly a pain you know where. But, you can call it what you like.....I just like making them.
It's a bit amazing how much steel is in those lock washers. I have a couple that I'm sure I can get a decent bowie size blade out of once I get them straightened out.

I do like the Green River look although it is pretty much "lazy forging" as shapes go. Most beginner smiths wind up making these due to poor hammer control. It has become harder for me to make one of these than a straight blade due to years of conditioning at the forge and anvil. I have to make myself do it now days.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Beautiful work.

Latest posts