Scope for Thompson Contender

scott stokes

I have collected a few barrels for my contender frame.
What scopes are you using?
.44mag
.357herret
45colt
.221fireball
.17mach IV
My .44mag has a redfield but has black specks inside.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Personally, for big game I like 2X. For small game, 4X.
I have a 14 inch 30-30 barrel with a 2X Leupold,
And a 10 inch 22 match Barrel with a 4X Leupold.
Also have a 14-inch 35 Rem., and a 10-inch .22mag with iron sights.

rosewood

I have had good luck with the Simmons 2-6x scopes. So far, I have not been able to break one even with heavy hitting 454 loads in a Raging Bull and 460 S&W loads in an Encore. They are the best value for the cost. I have 3 2-6x and 1 4x. I do believe the Simmons pistol scope are higher quality than their rifle scopes.

I have a Swift 4x scope, bright image, but the elevation turret sticks. I sent it in for repair, they did not fix it, so I gave up. It does work fine once I get it zeroed.

Bought a BSA 4x scope, said parallax free at 50 yards, was not parallax free at any range. Sent it back and got another Simmons.

Have a Leupold M8 4x. Nice clear, no issues.

Have a Nikon 2.5-8x28 Encore. Great clear image, but has eye relief issues. Is fine at lower power, but at 8x you have to be too close to the scope. I think they may have fixed the eye relief issue on the latest version of it which is called XR I think.. It does have a BDC which makes ringing the 500 yard steel plate a piece of cake with the 15" 7mm-08 Encore.

Have a BSA 2x that came on one barrel. Image isn't very clear, but it has worked well with the .22lr barrel at 50 yards for target work.

If hunting off a solid rest, I think 4x is a good power. If you will be shooting from field conditions, better go with 2x. A red dot isn't a bad option either.

The Burris scopes have a big following in the handgun world, supposedly extremely recoil proof. They are pricey and I have never sprung for one, out of my price range. I got a good deal on the Leupold and Nikon I have is the reason I bought them.

Richard

Last edited:

rosewood

My .44mag has a redfield but has black specks inside.

Not sure if Redfield is still making pistol scopes or not. However, they do have a lifetime warranty, might want to check with them and see if they can fix that for you.

Rosewood

Handgunner 45-70

I don't own any TC's any more but when I did I used all red dot's and never had any problems in either my 45-70, 35 rem., 7-08, or 7tcu.

specialk

.41 mag 14 inch bbl.....I use a 1-4x Leopold....keep it under 100yds....

scott stokes

Thanks for information I will contact redfield and see what they say.it they fix it I only need 4 scopes.
Would you consider a used Leupold and Thompson contender there $100 each what are your thoughts?

rwg

Thanks for information I will contact redfield and see what they say.it they fix it I only need 4 scopes.
Would you consider a used Leupold and Thompson contender there $100 each what are your thoughts?

I might be wrong but I don't think Thompson scopes bought used are warrantied anymore. Leupold have a lifetime warranty. If that has any bearing on your decision. I use and like both brands as well as Burris and Bushnell.

rosewood

Not a thing wrong with a used Leupold (that is what I have). If there is anything wrong with it, they will make it right and if you get it for $100, you got a deal. The Leupold pistol scopes go for over $300 new I believe.

Rosewood

Win1917

Took my biggest deer ever with a Leupold 2x on a 357 Herrett. He was wide open chasing a doe and a shout got him to stutter step at 20 yrds just long enough find hair, a shoulder, and pull the trigger. Any more magnification and I doubt it would've worked out.

deast1988

I run a leupold 2x on a model 29 44mag

I run a 4x Simmons on a contender 6.8spc

A run a weaver 2.5-8 on a encore 7-08

My next pistol I want to get one of the older 4x leupolds on a Custom 6.5grendel or 6.5 creedmoor maybe do bullberry or MGM on a 15in ported rig for the encore.