What to do for lime?

Slingshot85

I’ve got a food plot way back in the woods and the only good way to get to it is on atv. I have no tractor access. What is the best place to get lime in Franklin county area and what would be my best approach at spreading it.the new plot is a little over an acre. More like and acre and half.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Buy pelletized lime (in the amount your soil test says) ...... build a stone boat (or if you have a small cart) ...... haul 10 bags at a time ...... use a whirlybird spreader ..... then work it in to the ground as best you can, now ...... plant a cereal grain and perennial clover there this fall?

This will be the year you work the hardest, but if you add a little lime every year, along with 0-20-20 fertilizer and keep weeds and grasses under control, your time requirement goes down.

You'll have a food plot like Elfiii, Triple C, Jim Boyd, SouthpawDraw, Humdandy, Thaney ....... the names and list go on and on, but you'd be in a good crowd of clover planters!

Attachments

• Stone Boat.jpg
    Stone Boat.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 514

Canuck5

Money and time are always constraints for me .... you could do 1/4 of it this year, 1/4 next year, etc., until you've done it all and just continue to do your maintenance on it after that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
x2 on the pelletized lime and a push spreader.

Slingshot85

IVE Got a pull behind spreader. How long does Pelletier lime stay in the ground and work. Do I need to reapply every year or just do soil test and apply as needed?

Canuck5

Pelletized lime is just like Ag lime. The only real difference is they use a binder (glue), to make the pellets, so it becomes easier to spread in a typical spreader.

Your soil test will tell you when you need to reapply, however, it might take 3 years before the lime (assuming the right quantity is applied) before it's finished working and then you soil will start to get acidic again. A $10 soil test, tells it all.

You can always add a "little bit" every year, to stay ahead of the game and spread your money out and your work load. Or you can take another soil test in year 2 and see where you stand and apply as needed.

Canuck5

And if you establish a perennial clover plot, you just have to broadcast it over the clover and go ....... don't have to work it in the ground.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Pelletized lime is just like Ag lime. The only real difference is they use a binder (glue), to make the pellets, so it becomes easier to spread in a typical spreader.

Your soil test will tell you when you need to reapply, however, it might take 3 years before the lime (assuming the right quantity is applied) before it's finished working and then you soil will start to get acidic again. A $10 soil test, tells it all.

You can always add a "little bit" every year, to stay ahead of the game and spread your money out and your work load. Or you can take another soil test in year 2 and see where you stand and apply as needed.

What he said. ^ Mine get lime every year whether they need it or not. Lime is the poor man's fertilizer. More lime = less fertilizer to get the job done.

Slingshot85

Thanks guys. Now I want to plant clover but I also want to plant oats. Can I do both this fall. If so what about next year? Will I have to plow the clover up to replant the oats?

Canuck5

Thanks guys. Now I want to plant clover but I also want to plant oats. Can I do both this fall. If so what about next year? Will I have to plow the clover up to replant the oats?

This fall, you can plant oats (nurse crop) and clover together, no problem and is the right thing to do.

The following year, if you broadcast wheat or cereal rye over top the clover, in the fall and you'll get some germination. The following spring, if you desire, you can terminate it.

You can also plant clover just around the perimeter, in the shadier areas and save the center to plant whatever you want.

You can also save 1/4 - 1/2 acre of your big plot, to do whatever you like, each fall. You can plant a strip of oats a strip of radishes, a strip of wheat ...... whatever you like. Time, effort and money are your only constraints.

Getting your soil ph up, allows you to plant whatever you like!

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Calcium nitrate. Much stronger then lime so less bags needed. Push spread it. You need a third less. Same active ingredient

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
No calcium nitrate is much stronger. Look in your area for a site 1 or Ewing irrigation and call them

280bst

Feed/Seed store is the place to get Lime. Good rule of thumb is 1 ton of Lime on 1 acre of land to change it 1 point. I have a front mounted spreader on 4 wheeler that will hold 120 to 150 pounds drops down to rotary spreader works well for me. I put lime down every year in the Garden & Food Plot. If you can put it out now it will be right on time for the fall Good Luck on your choice